The_Dude

Off Topic Part Quatre

3,936 posts in this topic

Sir Finnegan Walter O'Malley...sounds purrrrrrfect!

Wow Huggles...does sound strange, but I'm kinda like you...I'd be tempted too, to see if it's real or not. I guess they're not taking Friday off then? :lol:

I've been too busy lately, getting ready to do an Adult Easter Drama this Sunday, and we're taking a quickie trip to Florida in a couple weeks, but when I get back, I think I'll take the English/math assessment for the police dispatcher job. I think it would be fun, and different. I'm still thinking about training for a medical transcriber too, and be able to work at home. I have to admit, it's kinda nice to be able to look at some different options for work. *Truth be told..I really don't want to work retail*..lol. But I'll take it if it's the only thing hiring right now!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

I had my first interview in the D.C. area today!

It was really short notice...I went in to my wife's office (in D.C. proper) to help her with some stuff, and at 12:30 I got a call from the employer, asking if I could come in for an interview in Bethesda at 3:30. Naturally, I said "Sure!", but I had to drive back to Alexandria, iron some interview clothes, get changed, turn around and drive back the same direction, plus an extra twelve or so miles... I actually DID resort to using my phone's GPS, so yes...to all of you who read me complaining about GPS usage -- I'm eating crow as we speak. :blush:

Not sure if I'll really like the job if I wind up getting it, but I WILL take it. They said they'd let me know no later than Monday...they need someone really quickly, and it's a very key position. Fingers crossed!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck Wyatt! Good luck, Huggles :)

Aww, Sir Finnegan Walter O'Malley sounds great! He's an adorable kitty and obviously has lots of personality :lol:! We had a female cat who looked very similar - same fur and colouring - when I was growing up. She came with the name "Missy" and it suited her so she kept it.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning everyone!

retro-coffee-funny1.jpg

I thought I'd post some coffee for you in good ole Carla tradition! =)

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so no bank account info, SSN number, birth date and nude pictures, got it. :lol:

Yeah, it seems super sketchy to me. They didn't even say what time Friday, it just said Friday. Weird right? Part of me thinks I should just ignore it, and then part of me is really interested to see if its actually real or not.

I definitely will Bowflex! We basically need to win this game. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go and scream at them :lol:

I wouldn't divulge any information that wasn't specifially listed on your resume. They don't necissarily need just the big details like bank info, SSN, or birth date to run a scam. Things like what city you were born in, or other seemingly innocuous information don't seem like much, but those are examples of password retrieval questions. I've heard of similar situations where someone was offered a job over the internet and then asked for personal information so that they could do a background check to get the hiring process going. If it were me, I would make up a new yahoo messenger ID, add this person and go through with the interview. If they do offer you the job or even another interview, you should insist upon an in-person interview.

I don't want to scare you into declining the interview, because I've known people who have gotten legitimate jobs from interviews just like this. I would just say be weary of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah I agree Rob. The more I think about it the more I think it's probably not worth my time. Bill is worried they're going to send me a link to an application form or something and have it be virus or something that infects his precious computer :lol:

I was kinda reading the e-mail over again and it doesn't even refer to the position by name, it just says "open position" which seems suspicious and generic, it's signed "Human Resource Manager" without a name, doesn't mention the company name, doesn't give me a time or even a time frame for the "interview" and the e-mail they give doesn't seem very authentic. Oh and there are a couple spelling and grammar mistakes I noticed... Something just seems wrong to me! I think I might just let it go.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah I agree Rob. The more I think about it the more I think it's probably not worth my time. Bill is worried they're going to send me a link to an application form or something and have it be virus or something that infects his precious computer :lol:

I was kinda reading the e-mail over again and it doesn't even refer to the position by name, it just says "open position" which seems suspicious and generic, it's signed "Human Resource Manager" without a name, doesn't mention the company name, doesn't give me a time or even a time frame for the "interview" and the e-mail they give doesn't seem very authentic. Oh and there are a couple spelling and grammar mistakes I noticed... Something just seems wrong to me! I think I might just let it go.

Grammar and spelling errors would be a red flag for me. Especially since there is nothing specific given.

The other thing to consider is, even if you do this interview and get the job, and it's legit... do you really want to work for a company that posts their ads and does their hiring like that? Just a thought. :lol:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Bethesda is a nice area. Hope interview went well--well it is 1530 now, so I hope "it is" going well!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I had my first interview in the D.C. area today!

It was really short notice...I went in to my wife's office (in D.C. proper) to help her with some stuff, and at 12:30 I got a call from the employer, asking if I could come in for an interview in Bethesda at 3:30. Naturally, I said "Sure!", but I had to drive back to Alexandria, iron some interview clothes, get changed, turn around and drive back the same direction, plus an extra twelve or so miles... I actually DID resort to using my phone's GPS, so yes...to all of you who read me complaining about GPS usage -- I'm eating crow as we speak. :blush:

Not sure if I'll really like the job if I wind up getting it, but I WILL take it. They said they'd let me know no later than Monday...they need someone really quickly, and it's a very key position. Fingers crossed!

woooohooooo

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Bethesda is a nice area. Hope interview went well--well it is 1530 now, so I hope "it is" going well!!

The interview was yesterday at 3:30. :P

Two of my references have emailed me to say that they were contacted, with one of them saying, "She said you sound like a great fit for the company." So I suppose that's a good sign. :)

In other news, I drove out to Elderberry, Maryland and had lunch with a certain amphibian from VJ today...and it was utterly delightful! She's just as charming, witty, hilarious and just plain awesome as she comes across on the VJ board. Her, I and our spouses will get together for dinner one of these days too. So yes...it's true that not everyone from the internet is a weirdo. Or at least, if they are, at least some are kindred weirdos.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

lol! I don't know why, but Elderberry just makes me freaking laugh out loud! and yep, I concur! I would go for more of the kindred weirdo than not! it was super nice to see an internet friendship forged out of the trials and tribulations of this harrowing process come to fruition in real time.

Super nice and Wyatt is certainly as charming and funny and just plain fun as he seems on the board. But don't let him fool you when he tries to say that sometimes people mistake him for pompous -- that description just did not enter my realm of thought once during our lunch and coffee! I think Wyatt wants to be pompous but is not, in any way, shape or form. I kid, I kid...

:^D

Two of my references have emailed me to say that they were contacted, with one of them saying, "She said you sound like a great fit for the company." So I suppose that's a good sign. :)

In other news, I drove out to Elderberry, Maryland and had lunch with a certain amphibian from VJ today...and it was utterly delightful! She's just as charming, witty, hilarious and just plain awesome as she comes across on the VJ board. Her, I and our spouses will get together for dinner one of these days too. So yes...it's true that not everyone from the internet is a weirdo. Or at least, if they are, at least some are kindred weirdos.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

oops on the interview,lol cutting back my VJ time. Glad it went well

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.