The_Dude

Off Topic Part Quatre

3,936 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yea we've been watching a lot of HGTV lately. Just getting ideas and stuff.

Just wanted to add (and I obviously have not gone through the previous posts...)... don't forget your tax credit for closing a house before April 2010!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea we already have that covered. You actually have until the end of May to close if you have started the process before the end of April. It will be like getting some of our downpayment back.. will be nice.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I'm really looking forward to that 8k myself! Our home loan is an FHA, meaning you only put down 3.5% on the payment of the house. So, the tax credit is more than we are actually putting down, meaning we're going to be up by quite a bit! We're planning on just putting most of it back into the house. There's a bunch of small but possibly expensive changes we'd like to do in the next few months, and that tax credit really helps.

I'm also really surprised with how generous some members of Bill's family have been in helping us with this as well. I married into a good family, that's for sure!

We close in two days! I have all my paint colors picked out and I'm ready to rock and roll :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm really looking forward to that 8k myself! Our home loan is an FHA, meaning you only put down 3.5% on the payment of the house. So, the tax credit is more than we are actually putting down, meaning we're going to be up by quite a bit! We're planning on just putting most of it back into the house. There's a bunch of small but possibly expensive changes we'd like to do in the next few months, and that tax credit really helps.

I'm also really surprised with how generous some members of Bill's family have been in helping us with this as well. I married into a good family, that's for sure!

We close in two days! I have all my paint colors picked out and I'm ready to rock and roll :lol:

:lol: Wow, you already have your paint colours picked out! And you spelled it like an American! I'm getting a bit suspicious here, maybe you are a closet American infiltrating the Canada forum! :o

I know our paint colours will be neutral, just not sure what shades, I need to be in each room for a while to decide.

As for closing on the house, just got an email from our lawyer that they are waiting for the funds to be transferred in the next couple of hours and MIGHT have it done today. Well, whatever.

Timeline

:lol: I always got in trouble as a kid for spelling it without the U! I don't know why, but It just seems more natural without it. But, I'm definitely Canadian. I get made fun of daily for saying "eh" and pronouncing the last letter of the alphabet as "zed" :P

I have plans to basically paint the whole house, so I really want to do it before we move in to make life a little easier. I got some home style magazines and looked at the paint schemes and went from there. It was actually kinda fun! We've been able to go to the house a couple times, so I've been able to visualize a little.

You're still waiting on the keys trailmix? That's annoying! I'm not really familiar with the closing process, but our Realtor said we get the keys after we sign on the dotted line on Thursday? What's the difference between your process and mine? Maybe since we're buying from an actual person and not a bank, things go differently? Either way, I hope you get it soon! I know you wanted to move this week. Wasn't it tomorrow?

Timeline
:lol: I always got in trouble as a kid for spelling it without the U! I don't know why, but It just seems more natural without it. But, I'm definitely Canadian. I get made fun of daily for saying "eh" and pronouncing the last letter of the alphabet as "zed" :P

I have plans to basically paint the whole house, so I really want to do it before we move in to make life a little easier. I got some home style magazines and looked at the paint schemes and went from there. It was actually kinda fun! We've been able to go to the house a couple times, so I've been able to visualize a little.

You're still waiting on the keys trailmix? That's annoying! I'm not really familiar with the closing process, but our Realtor said we get the keys after we sign on the dotted line on Thursday? What's the difference between your process and mine? Maybe since we're buying from an actual person and not a bank, things go differently? Either way, I hope you get it soon! I know you wanted to move this week. Wasn't it tomorrow?

Yes we are moving tomorrow definately - movers, utilities, appliance deliveries are all organized for tomorrow!

With or without a bank on the other side it's basically:

Bank writes up mortgage >>>> Client signs mortgage papers >>>> Bank sends to lawyer to review >>>> Lawyer says it's all good >>>> Buyer goes to lawyer to review and sign documents and pays the balance of the deposit >>>> Bank releases the funds >>>> Lawyer gives the funds to the seller >>>> Homeowner gets the keys.

Where ours got screwed up is that the lawyer reviewed the mortgage documents and they were not written correctly (as of Friday) - so Monday the bank had to redo it, got it to the lawyer late yesterday and now we don't know if the funds will get to the Seller's lawyer this afternoon or tomorrow morning - it's a tad annoying.

Timeline

Ahhh! So the bank messed up the documents, and they had to be rewritten. Well its a good thing the lawyer caught that.

We're not working with a lawyer, it never dawned on me that a lawyer would be useful or necessary. People use lawyers? Don't make me panic now Trailmix!! :lol:

Timeline
Yes we are moving tomorrow definately - movers, utilities, appliance deliveries are all organized for tomorrow!

Good luck with the move. :thumbs:

I don't envy you, moving is a lot of work!!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

So I'm expecting a job interview with Navy Federal sometime soon. I 'passed' their assessment test yay me :D and someone called to set up an interview today, but I wasn't home.

Hope to hear back tomorrow (I called back at 5:30pm and she had already left).

It's a call centre job, but full time with benefits, and 15 minutes from home, which outweighs all of the bad call centre stuff :lol:

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline
Ahhh! So the bank messed up the documents, and they had to be rewritten. Well its a good thing the lawyer caught that.

We're not working with a lawyer, it never dawned on me that a lawyer would be useful or necessary. People use lawyers? Don't make me panic now Trailmix!! :lol:

Hmmm I thought you have to in order to get the deed, etc. You wont need to meet one, I dont think, but you need one to complete your house transaction...?

Removal of Conditions:

Timeline

Thanks OBX!

It's different in the States - they have escrow etc etc (and a gazillion fees)

The actual process in Canada (at least in Alberta) is much simplier - from what I researched about the U.S. system.

Oh and I never heard back from the lawyer today - so I guess it didn't close! Worst lawyer i've ever used. I know the assistant sometimes checks her email in the evening, so I sent an email, but I had already asked her to update me.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I close in 2 days so If I needed a lawyer I'm sure our Realtor or mortgage broker would have mentioned it at some point. We talked to the Realtor today and he said everything is good to go. He's been selling people houses forever, so I've been blindly following his direction this whole time. He better know exactly what he's doing! :lol: Our mortgage is almost done being written and they'll be sending over the fun figures to review by 10 am tomorrow morning.

Ok so I goggled it for peace of mind, and since we're using a title company a lawyer isn't necessary. I guess they do the job of a lawyer, sorta.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

too bad david and i cant' take advantage of the tax credit for a house...i'll be moving down ther beginning of april but by the time we found out our interview date there really wasn't enought time to house shop etc. If my process hadn't had any issues i would have been down here earlier but not much can be done. so we are goign to stay with his parents for the frst year (hope that works out ok) and try and pay off our credit cards, and save up for a downpayment, and appliances etc.

it's just really hard to say bye to that 8k though lol. ah well..sh1te happens eh?

HWDWm6.png

Timeline
too bad david and i cant' take advantage of the tax credit for a house...i'll be moving down ther beginning of april but by the time we found out our interview date there really wasn't enought time to house shop etc. If my process hadn't had any issues i would have been down here earlier but not much can be done. so we are goign to stay with his parents for the frst year (hope that works out ok) and try and pay off our credit cards, and save up for a downpayment, and appliances etc.

it's just really hard to say bye to that 8k though lol. ah well..sh1te happens eh?

Im sure theres still something thats gonna be offered out there! And this is still a good time to buy a house with all the houses being so low AAAAND really low interest rate. We thought our rate was low when we purchased last July but they are even lower now!

Removal of Conditions:

Timeline
Thanks OBX!

It's different in the States - they have escrow etc etc (and a gazillion fees)

The actual process in Canada (at least in Alberta) is much simplier - from what I researched about the U.S. system.

Oh and I never heard back from the lawyer today - so I guess it didn't close! Worst lawyer i've ever used. I know the assistant sometimes checks her email in the evening, so I sent an email, but I had already asked her to update me.

:( So does that mean you don't get to move today? That's just crazy!!

I close in 2 days so If I needed a lawyer I'm sure our Realtor or mortgage broker would have mentioned it at some point. We talked to the Realtor today and he said everything is good to go. He's been selling people houses forever, so I've been blindly following his direction this whole time. He better know exactly what he's doing! :lol: Our mortgage is almost done being written and they'll be sending over the fun figures to review by 10 am tomorrow morning.

Ok so I goggled it for peace of mind, and since we're using a title company a lawyer isn't necessary. I guess they do the job of a lawyer, sorta.

Good luck with you move as well Huggles!

I always thought lawyers were standard for home purchases so I learnt something new today!

I found the process of purchasing our home in NJ much more complicated than selling my home in Welland. Between the closing of my husband's condo and that of our house purchase we were lawyered up all day! After 7+ hours in the lawyers' office he finally made it home....after I had dealt with the moving from one place to the other, all in the midst of torrential downpour.

Hope everything works out smoothly for you! :)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.