ScottThuy

HCMC Interview roll call

1,212 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

VJ Members currently in AP at HCMC:

• Vi&Art _____________________8/5/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline
  • JohnCali9 __________________8/6/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline
  • MichaelAndKha______________8/15/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Timeline
  • JeromeBinh_________________8/20/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline, List of Beneficiary Relatives in US
  • ToanTien___________________8/20/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline
  • Ly Trinh ___________________8/21/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Timeline
  • Huong and Phung ___________9/8/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

VJ Members who made it out of AP & results:

• Ituan _____________________8/10/2009 - 09/15/2009 - 36 days in AP - Denied

K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

• Lindal24 ___________________7/8/2009 - 10/7/2009 - 91 days in AP - APPROVED :dance:

CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

• FrednDaoHoney_____________1/17/2009 - 10/15/2009 - 271 days in AP - APPROVED :dance:

Please add yourself if you are currently in Administrative Processing "AP" (2nd blue slip).

Sample AP Blue Slip:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/...cture1_copy.jpg

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On another note regarding what's going on with the new AP thread and everything -- everyone is entitled to post and no one controls the thread (except for maybe mods...). If anyone wanted to see change, they could have just as easily made it and I'm sure no one would have cared either way...I change it all the time and just keep reposting the information to "bump" the topic. Just a note...

On that note, is it not possible for the mods to enable post editing? Most forum software allows a poster to edit their own posts. It would be enormously helpful in "tracking" threads like this one if the OP could keep the first post updated with the most recent information. If someone's status had changed, they could also link to the post that announced it. This would allow the first post to serve as current status AND as an index for the rest of the thread. Any mods listening? :whistle:

The ability to keep info current and updated has been a problem for a long time here on VJ. The one thing that has not been done in this forum that is done elsewhere on VJ, and I can do later today, is include directions at the bottom of the post to rewrite/edit and repost. The edit feature has a timeout associated with it now.

I think Roger made a great point the other day about using the wiki feature more than has been done in the past. We could likely have a great HCMC reference area there if we used it more. The issue mentioned yesterday about needing an area to explain why someone got a blue would likely be best addressed in wiki. We just need to use it more and include many references to it in our forums or signatures.

GEESH...I'm having a restless night and I thought I'd attempt to create a WIKI just for this, but no luck!!! It is SOOOO COMPLICATED to create a new wiki thread I just gave up!! :P GRRR...maybe I'm just tired and need to give it a rest...I'll try again tomorrow I guess! :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Wow Lindal24, you're on a roll here. hahah It's pretty informative though. About the movie, I think he needs to understand to fully know what the movie is about. You see how she is all work work work but on the other hand she sings "to the windowwww, to the wallll, 'til the sweat drop down my b....."" hahah Those who could understand this situation are only those who live here long enough to know that it's funny. If you live in a different culture, I would say watching this movie is just another boring nonsense. heheheh I love the part where she dance with his grandma in the woods. PRICELESS!

event.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
come to think of it... Like all government organizations like the IRS and social security office we just have to take what they give us. I remember being frustrated whenever I had to deal with the government on my taxes or even to dispute something at the driver's license office. I feels the consulate is going to treat us like the other government agencies in the US where they are paid with US tax payers money.

I think this is a little different since this is more subjective than objective. The IRS and SSN offices are supposed to follow rules to the "T" but the consulatar officers, not so much...

One of my students got pushy with the CO a couple of months ago... He felt the questions being asked were ridiculous... (they were) and he said just give me the visa I am busy today..... The CO quickly said denied and threw him out... There was no other reason for denial as the guy has very strong ties to VN being the wealthy CFO of a large company and having a large family there... if the case is in AP, there is already some reason that they did not approve it.... it would not take much to piss them off and have them deny it...

Thanks for the advice, I was not planning on getting really pushy, but I did want to stress some points if the person I was talking with seemed in a good mood, but I really don't want to risk getting put back another 60 days or even more, we have decided to simply email them and mention the fact that we had 300 plus pages of chat logs that they did not even look at. The only red flag that i am really worried about is we strictly use chat unless the INTERNET is down, it is cheaper. But thanks again for the advice Jerome and Binh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
Jerome,

I know that it's frustrating getting into the Consulate and get the same generic answer but don't get too pushy. I know you have your way of doing it but it's best for us to present ourselves professionally. I was there talking to them and they actually takes note of what you said. Say something truthful and touching, you'll see they have feeling too. Don't get too agressive and it might turn on you.

Good luck Jerome and Binh.

I thank you for your opinion, we have decided to just email them. I was never going to get pushy, or at least never intended to, I just wanted to feel out the waters and ask some straight forward questions, like if they are supposed to be looking for evidence of a bonafide relationship why did they not even look at 300 plus pages that we had, and also why they did not want to look at the time line that we had, and the evidence of where my ex wife currently lives?, and ask why they would have refused to look at it then give us a blue requesting the same information, all in a polite way, but if at the time I was talking with him I sensed he was in a pissy mood I was not going to mention any of it, and just simply ask when they thought they might actually get to our case, but instead we will email them and mention these facts to them but not question why just mention that we had and still have over 300 pages of information that proves we have a ongoing relationship as well as this was my 3rd trip to HCMC to be with her. But thanks for all you advice. Jerome and Binh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

Ok if you want to call it Additional Processing you can. The man told me investigation.

Maybe for you it is not personal but, when in an interview they ask about a Wedding date knowing they are not going to give the visa I take that personal. When Dao's two sons come here and go to school it will be hard enough to start in a foriegn school, now because the Consulate drag their feet they have to start late in the year without summer english tutoring. I take that personal. When I have to figure out when and how to get attention from a government employee that is too busy for me. I take that personal. I laid all my information out for the Visa process expecting to be treated fair and with respect, the Consulate did niether. I take that personal.

I agree with you. If I hadn't spent the time to go to the Consulate and bang on window 15 I think we would still be in AP. Also agree that our commitment to or relationship is stronger but I think it would be the same without AP/investigating.

The consulate wasted my time. I take that personal too. Does anyone else take it personal?

Fred

Linda, Please don't take this personal, I am just having fun stirring the pot.

You go boy!!! I do agree with you they asked Binh the same #######, when and where we were going to get married, she was not as quick of a thinker as I am and I would have told them the reason she does not know where we are having the wedding, because we have issues to work out. We do not know for sure when we would get the visa, we did have plans for the first week of September during the holiday, but before I spent money on deposits and had my preacher clear his schedule and contact her family to see what locations would be best for everyone to come that we had to wait for the visa. AP is just another word for investigation, plane and simple. They want to look over your info, and this means to look into it as well, so investigative processing should be more accurate in my book. How can they say AP and ask for you to come back with the things you already have there that they refuse to look at???? If they were not going to investigate your questions. If there were additional processing it would be for children involved maybe needing more time to make sure there were no other parents not wanting their child to leave Vietnam or something along those lines, but if it was simply additional processing and not investigative processing they would not need any evidence, why would you want to know where a persons other family lives? a ex spouse? a time line? This is to make sure what was said matches up and to me this is investigation, not processing. but to some it might be different, this is simply my spin on the AP or as I call int IP. Not trying to poke the fire, just simply putting my two cents worth in. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
Lets divide up those of us that are in AP. Please add to this post and put if you are in AP on a K1 visa or on a CR1 visa, please list your first blue and your reason for that blue along with your second blue that put you into the AP limbo. This will help those determine what they need to do, and help us figure out if we can expect results and possibly when. With the difference in case and people emailing and getting the same response that they do not go out of order it might be helpful to separate us all out. Please if you are denied, give us that reason as well. This is the current list of those I know that are in AP

Those of us currently in AP at HCMC:

Vi&Art 8/5/2009 K1 Visa

First blue requesting Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

JohnCali9 8/6/2009 K1 Visa

First blue requesting Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline

MichaelAndKha 8/15/2009 K1 Visa

First blue requesting Timeline

JeromeBinh 8/20/2009 K1 visa

First blue requesting Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline, and where Binh's family live in the USA

ToanTien 8/20/2009 Cr1 Visa

First blue requesting Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

Ly Trinh 8/21/2009 CR1 Visa

First blue requesting Timeline

Huong and Phung 9/8/2009 CR1 Visa

First blue Requesting proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

Those who are out of AP w/ results:

Ituan 8/10/2009 - 09/15/2009 - 36 days in AP - Denied

Lindal24 7/8/2009 - 10/7/2009 - 91 days in AP - APPROVED

FrednDaoHoney 1/17/2009 - 10/14/2009 - 271 days in AP - APPROVED

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have received numerous complaints over the last few days about having duplicate threads on this topic. While the moderators asked why the threads were different and were told information was gathered in different ways, it does appear that the two threads really are duplicating the same information in two different locations. As this is confusing and divisive on a topic, I am merging the two threads into one. If a thread is distinctly different then it can remain separate otherwise try to keep only one thread on the same topic going at a time.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It is an investigation, that is part of the processing of the application... I think thats why they call it AP rather than an investigation... AP can cover any time delay in processing that is not normal.

It is personal for all of us... I get pissed off half of the time when I call NVC to check the staus of our case and they say the same scripted statement every time (you are in AP and there is no timeframe for this process).. Some care and you can hear it, but its not personal to them or the ones actually handling the case.. its just a job and they are showing up at work each day and doing what we pay them to do...

It just so happens that those that end up in AP have some red flag associated with the case that causes them to not be able to sign off on it withoud further investigation... they could be looking at phone records.... calling relatives.... looking on Facebook... we never know what they are doing in this investigation... or the decision process that takes place when they are done "investigating" but it all is additional time and processing that they otherwise would not have had to do if we had not had the red flags...

I found out why I got pulled into AP @ NVC based on Gary's discussions with the VSC director last week... Having a security clearance is grounds enough for them to want to know who we are sleeping with and how it may affect our clearances so most of us in NVC AP have government clearances.. not all.... Because of my role with institutions that are on military bases around the world, the DoD wanted us to have certain clearance levels so there would be no issues if something came up during a lecture regarding technology. Its ridiculous, but I actually am glad that they are doing something to keep our bases safe...

We all know that there are still many people in our government that consider us as "sleeping with the enemy".... That may be the guy that saw my file and said OMG what is he up to?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

VJ Members currently in AP at HCMC:

Vi&Art _____________________8/5/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

JohnCali9 __________________8/6/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline

MichaelAndKha______________8/15/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Timeline

JeromeBinh_________________8/20/2009 K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Ex-wife's living situation, Timeline, List of Beneficiary Relatives in US

ToanTien___________________8/20/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

Ly Trinh ___________________8/21/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Timeline

Huong and Phung ___________9/8/2009 CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

VJ Members who made it out of AP & results:

Ituan _____________________8/10/2009 - 09/15/2009 - 36 days in AP - Denied

K1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

Lindal24 ___________________7/8/2009 - 10/7/2009 - 91 days in AP - APPROVED

CR1 Visa - First blue RFE: Proof of Bona fide Relationship & Timeline

FrednDaoHoney_____________1/17/2009 - 10/15/2009 - 271 days in AP - APPROVED

Please add yourself if you are currently in Administrative Processing "AP" (2nd blue slip).

Sample AP Blue Slip:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/...cture1_copy.jpg

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Jerome,

You made an interesting point when you said that the CO gives a blue slip requesting evidence that you already have available for the CO to see that same day at the interview. What I still do not understand is how other people have gotten the CO to actually look at the evidence and get a pink slip. Those that got the pink slip did something different then those who got the blue slip. There just has to be something that the blue slip people are missing. I looked at the list of people that got blue slips or are in AP and it looks like the common denominator is the time line. Just about everybody has listed the time line as a reason for the blue. I also see list of relatives for the beneficiary and evidence of bonafide relationship....which brings me back to the evidence for the interview date issue. There has to be a link from the evidence submitted with the I-129F to the evidence that needs to be presented on the interview date. That "link" should force the CO to look at the evidence. I don't know. Im just trying to figure all this out before I file my petition I guess. Am I thinking wrong? Somebody please shed some light on this.

<CARRICK>

Jerome,

I know that it's frustrating getting into the Consulate and get the same generic answer but don't get too pushy. I know you have your way of doing it but it's best for us to present ourselves professionally. I was there talking to them and they actually takes note of what you said. Say something truthful and touching, you'll see they have feeling too. Don't get too agressive and it might turn on you.

I thank you for your opinion, we have decided to just email them. I was never going to get pushy, or at least never intended to, I just wanted to feel out the waters and ask some straight forward questions, like if they are supposed to be looking for evidence of a bonafide relationship why did they not even look at 300 plus pages that we had, and also why they did not want to look at the time line that we had, and the evidence of where my ex wife currently lives?, and ask why they would have refused to look at it then give us a blue requesting the same information, all in a polite way, but if at the time I was talking with him I sensed he was in a pissy mood I was not going to mention any of it, and just simply ask when they thought they might actually get to our case, but instead we will email them and mention these facts to them but not question why just mention that we had and still have over 300 pages of information that proves we have a ongoing relationship as well as this was my 3rd trip to HCMC to be with her. But thanks for all you advice. Jerome and Binh

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Jerome,

You made an interesting point when you said that the CO gives a blue slip requesting evidence that you already have available for the CO to see that same day at the interview. What I still do not understand is how other people have gotten the CO to actually look at the evidence and get a pink slip. Those that got the pink slip did something different then those who got the blue slip. There just has to be something that the blue slip people are missing. I looked at the list of people that got blue slips or are in AP and it looks like the common denominator is the time line. Just about everybody has listed the time line as a reason for the blue. I also see list of relatives for the beneficiary and evidence of bonafide relationship....which brings me back to the evidence for the interview date issue. There has to be a link from the evidence submitted with the I-129F to the evidence that needs to be presented on the interview date. That "link" should force the CO to look at the evidence. I don't know. Im just trying to figure all this out before I file my petition I guess. Am I thinking wrong? Somebody please shed some light on this.

<CARRICK>

Jerome,

It also depends on the CO that you get. Some of them don't require to much evidence and will give you pink but some require much more to get pink. For my wife's interview our CO only asked about 6 or 7 question, looked at about 10 pictures and flipped through a few of our paperwork and gave us the pink. My wife was very confident during her interview which she thought was very key.

Good Luck.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline
Jerome,

<CARRICK>

Honestly, I think its personal choice. they judge on how pressured they are at the moment and really how they feel at the time. its this right? well no, no its not at all. but its how it is. if they are still in doubt, they will just ask for anything. so they have more time to go over the case.

I had a Timeline, but it was not notarized, only signed and dated. she did not pass her medical. so we got a blue slip for that BUT only that. I did not have a list of relatives. but my fiancee did interview in English, I was there for the interview. We did have an engagement ceremony. We had Tons and tons of pictures. but not just pictures of me and her and her family in Vietnam. we had pictures of my city and my house and things like this mixed in. we pretty much brought everything we had. tons and tons of chat longs. but they didnt look at them. they didnt even look at out engagement ceremony pictures. only pictures from my city, snow, me fishing with friends and things like that. Anything that i sent her to explain how my life was here in the states she brought with her. which i think helps to show that everything is real, were not 2 strangers and we do everything we can to communicate. we also had pictures of my fiancee and my self doing things together and having genuine fun. if they dont see you together doing things and just hanging out... then they are going to wonder whats up.

just my input from personal experience. by the way, I filed for a K1 visa on feb 2 2009, and we just got approved on the 16th of October 2009.

LOVESIG3.jpg

Timeline
Jerome,

<CARRICK>

I think you may be jumping to some conclusions. The CO doesn't have a checklist that they go down, and tick off boxes until every box is ticked, and then sign the pink slip. Every case is different. A recent divorce might trigger suspicion in one case, but might be totally irrelevant in another case where there was no previous marriage. Same with the other common red flags, like being introduced by a family member, or having relatives in the US. If the CO thinks the red flags can be addressed sufficiently by looking at some evidence at the interview, then he may ask to see the evidence. If not, a blue slip is inevitable.

The CO may not accept evidence because they may have already decided that the blue slip is going to be issued, and they want to adjudicate the application "offline"; i.e., not in a 5 minute interview. They may want extra time to conduct an investigation. There are a limited number of things they can ask for on the blue slip, and the timeline very well could be a catch-all excuse when the CO just wants more time. There are plenty of people who have gotten a pink slip and never submitted a timeline. In those cases, the CO didn't have any overriding suspicions, so they issued the visa. When the timeline actually is a critical piece of evidence, it's because the CO thinks the relationship is a sham, and he wants the petitioner to convince him otherwise. When the beneficiary walks in on the appointed date with the timeline, and walks out with a pink slip, then the timeline very well could have been a stalling tactic to buy the CO time to investigate.

I think the magical "link" you're looking for is to think like a CO. If you can do that, then you'll know what your red flags are, and you'll adequately address them before the interview. If the CO reviews your petition package, and every suspicion he might have has been addressed to his satisfaction, then you've got a good shot at getting pink the first time. On the other hand, the most well written timeline included with the petition won't get you a pink slip if there are red flags which haven't been addressed.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Jerome,

<CARRICK>

I do not think there is anything anyone can do to force anyone to actually look at more evidence, Half the people have the timeline and they still request it, well maybe not half but many do have it with them. I think they give the blue because it is either something said in the interview that they do not quite like or that it is to late in the day and they just dont want to make the decision. I might be wrong, but Binh stressed to them many times at the interview and after she got the blue she had the information they needed. So I think they were just set on giving the blue after she told them abpout my ex wife even though she had the proof right there for them to look at. Just do your best that is all anyone can do at HCMC

Jerome,

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.