garfield529

Help me, help her....help me, help her..

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hey Guys,

My fiancee is from China...so this post is for a follow coworker who needs help, she is from Vietnam. She is here on a student visa and has been dating her boyfriend (recently turned fiance) who is a chinese-born naturalized USC. I want to give her advice, but I prefer to defer to my knowledgeable VJ friends. At first she was planning to get married in Vietnam when she goes back to renew her student visa, but I think she could lose status doing this as it could signal intent to immigrate. My thinking is that she needs to get married here and start AOS stateside before she considers returning home for any type of ceremony for her parents. What are your thoughts? Options? Thanks! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i am not sure but i think if she falls in love to usc and marries on student visa. she may not have to go throught the same process as we do here. she may can just get married and file change of status

like if somebody travels on long b2 visa and falls in love and marries. her intetion was not to marry to to travel and see.

others please chime in!! i can be wrong

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

She can adjust status. She will need to prove there was no immigrant intent when she files. Its a good case for an interview though.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let's see...

On the one hand, she can marry her USC fiance in the US, file for AOS, get her green card, and then go to Vietnam with him for the formal wedding ceremony. If she met her fiance in the US, and didn't know him before coming here, then her chances of a successful AOS are very good.

On the other hand, they can both go to Vietnam. They can stay for several weeks (months???) jumping through the ridiculous hoops that the Vietnamese government makes you jump through in order to get a license to marry a foreigner. After a lot of running around, and a bit of "coffee money" paid to the VN government officials, they'll have their license, and can then have their formal wedding ceremony. Likely, her student visa renewal will be shot down because she's now married to a USC, so they'll have to file for a CR1. Unless her new husband stays with her in Vietnam, they'll be separated for many months while she waits for the interview. After months of preparation, she'll drag a few boxes full of evidence to the interview, where her chances of success are probably around 50%. If she's lucky, she'll get out of the interview without being thoroughly humiliated by the VN consulate staff, and grilled like a sirloin steak by the CO.

Now, which would I choose? :whistle:

Seriously, this is the dream scenario for most VN who want to marry a USC and live in the US. She'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please confine your comments to useful information that answers the OP's question rather than issuing judgmental comments against any nation or culture. Racist comments are a violation of TOS for VJ and targeting a whole culture with derogatory comments is racist.

Information from a removed post returned to the thread below as it is important for the history:

Garfield529: BTW, they plan to look for work in Singapore, not the US, in the future. She simply does not want to lose her ability to return to the US to complete her PhD thesis work by losing status from marriage
Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

post flaming/baiting the op removed, along with post quoting it.

if you don't have something constructive to add to this thread, don't post.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.