chrisNmanda

New Here!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I are currently in between NOA1 and NOA2 in our K1 process. I have read a lot of post in here and I'm pleased to be a part of this community. We met in 2005 and after dozens of visits back and forth each year we decided our relationship was worth the hassle of immigration. We have had an interesting time with our immigration process and my biggest piece of advise to anyone out there is DO NOT hire a lawyer. Our lawyer delayed our immigration process by almost a year and charged us a lot of money for basically no benefit at all. We have all the typical worries and concerns about how long it will take and how much it will cost but we are happy we finally got the process started (see timeline/signature). Hopefully with us having a child together it will make the interview a breeze. Nice to meet everyone and if there is any good advice out there that anyone feels i should know about, feel free to share it.

Chris

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

Hello Chris!

Welcome to VJ! You have certainly come to the right place. I hope things go faster for you and your fiancee.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Chris and welcome to the Canada VJ Family. You'll get all the help and info you require to complete your journey right here. Feel free to ask any questions I'm sure someone will have the answer.

Good Luck

Allie & Lorry

hello!!!, welcome to VJ!!!

wish us good luck, and happy new year!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Welcome aboard Chris!

Hello Chris!

Welcome to VJ! You have certainly come to the right place. I hope things go faster for you and your fiancee.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

Do you speak fluent Swahili?

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi chrisNmanda,

Welcome to VJ! I hope you will find VJ to be helpful and informative too! :)

And if you want to explore further immigration options, feel free to ask here on vj about that too (lol..and in cases, vjers are more 'informed' than incompentent lawyers who charge an 'arm and a leg', for something you could have done for free/low cost from advice here on vj....though call cases are different, so if you need to find a more compentent lawyer if you run into problems that we can't help you with that is ok too....)

Congrats on the baby! Oh and immigration-wise, I see this as an advantage for your case too...So yeah, that will definitely work well in your favour here...Lol..think of it as..."I have to immigrate to the USA because my US Citizen child needs their Canadian mother around!...Reunite us. please!" Heck, I recommend you even bring your child to the interviews with you, along with any paperwork that you have associated with them (such as a birth certificate, birth abroad papers, etc.)...(though make sure they are well-behaved when you go)...as then they can see at the interview of the "real proof" of a child there!

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your journeys too.

Ant

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I are currently in between NOA1 and NOA2 in our K1 process. I have read a lot of post in here and I'm pleased to be a part of this community. We met in 2005 and after dozens of visits back and forth each year we decided our relationship was worth the hassle of immigration. We have had an interesting time with our immigration process and my biggest piece of advise to anyone out there is DO NOT hire a lawyer. Our lawyer delayed our immigration process by almost a year and charged us a lot of money for basically no benefit at all. We have all the typical worries and concerns about how long it will take and how much it will cost but we are happy we finally got the process started (see timeline/signature). Hopefully with us having a child together it will make the interview a breeze. Nice to meet everyone and if there is any good advice out there that anyone feels i should know about, feel free to share it.

Chris

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Ant,

I agree ( altho a lot disagree) i think having a child is very beneficial to our case. We dont expect it to speed anything up by no means but what better proof can you have of a relationship lol. We had planned on not taking him to the interview, because a 2 year old doesn't seem to be the best idea to have to carry around/wait in waiting rooms ( we learned that in Toronto for is BOA ). but we have our DNA test and his BOA so we should be fine in that aspect. Not all lawyers are bad but ours just did us wrong. We hired them expecting the paperwork to be completed and filed quickly and accurately, we knew it would make the immigration itself quicker, and it goo 10 and a half months from the time we submitted all the requested documents till the time our package was sent to Vermont .... very very frustrating. Anywho enough of my complaining, thanks for the encouragement Ant

Hi chrisNmanda,

Welcome to VJ! I hope you will find VJ to be helpful and informative too! :)

And if you want to explore further immigration options, feel free to ask here on vj about that too (lol..and in cases, vjers are more 'informed' than incompentent lawyers who charge an 'arm and a leg', for something you could have done for free/low cost from advice here on vj....though call cases are different, so if you need to find a more compentent lawyer if you run into problems that we can't help you with that is ok too....)

Congrats on the baby! Oh and immigration-wise, I see this as an advantage for your case too...So yeah, that will definitely work well in your favour here...Lol..think of it as..."I have to immigrate to the USA because my US Citizen child needs their Canadian mother around!...Reunite us. please!" Heck, I recommend you even bring your child to the interviews with you, along with any paperwork that you have associated with them (such as a birth certificate, birth abroad papers, etc.)...(though make sure they are well-behaved when you go)...as then they can see at the interview of the "real proof" of a child there!

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your journeys too.

Ant

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! This forum is sooo awesome. I hope that you have a successful immigration story and that you would find lots of help and support from our community! :)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Welcome Chris! Hope your immigration journey is more speedy and bump free than it has been already! We have lots of answers to any questions you may pose. Hope to hear from you soon!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

ChrisNmanda-You're welcome for the welcome and enouragement...Again, welcome to VJ!..Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Understandable, that you wouldn't want to bring your child to the interview if they are disruptive in ways. Kids are kids, and don't know better, so not your fault there that they are just being a typical 2yr old. So in the case, it's probably easier to leave your child somewhere else, and as long as you have all the paperwork about your child, then that's fine there, and they will definitely accept proof of such. Sorry that you had a bad lawyer there for your case before. Though I agree, not all lawyers are incompent like that. For example, the lawyer that I used for my AOS case was great, and I would recommend them to anyone to use if need be. A lawyer and/or a child does not make the case faster or quicker though, but at least it helps in some way. Lol...As for Vermont..I totally understand you there too...as I had to wait 10months for my 10yr green card there....very frustrating....the "VSC= Very Slow Center" is, indeed!

Nevertheless, good luck with the rest of your journey, and may it be a speedy and problem-free one for you too.

Ant

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Ant,

I agree ( altho a lot disagree) i think having a child is very beneficial to our case. We dont expect it to speed anything up by no means but what better proof can you have of a relationship lol. We had planned on not taking him to the interview, because a 2 year old doesn't seem to be the best idea to have to carry around/wait in waiting rooms ( we learned that in Toronto for is BOA ). but we have our DNA test and his BOA so we should be fine in that aspect. Not all lawyers are bad but ours just did us wrong. We hired them expecting the paperwork to be completed and filed quickly and accurately, we knew it would make the immigration itself quicker, and it goo 10 and a half months from the time we submitted all the requested documents till the time our package was sent to Vermont .... very very frustrating. Anywho enough of my complaining, thanks for the encouragement Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!! At 1 time, VSC was one of the fastest processing centers! They all seem to take their turns at going at a snail pace. Good luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.