Roosterwife

What happens if your interview is scheduled before your LPR anniversary

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Quick question:

I filed my N-400 exactly 90 days before my 3rd anniversary of being an LPR and so far my application seems to be progressing smoothly - and pretty swiftly. What happens if I get my interview date before my 3rd LPR anniversary? Do I have to reschedule? Or do I take the test and if I pass they have me come back for oath after the anniversary? Or does the USCIS always schedule interviews after the anniversary date? My office is Miami, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

N-400

12/14/09 Mailed application to Lewisville, Texas

04/23/10 Sworn in. America's newest citizen!

I-130

04/26/10 Mailed parents' applications to Chicago

05/03/10 NOA 1 from CSC

10/05/10 I-130 approvals for both parents received

Quick question:

I filed my N-400 exactly 90 days before my 3rd anniversary of being an LPR and so far my application seems to be progressing smoothly - and pretty swiftly. What happens if I get my interview date before my 3rd LPR anniversary? Do I have to reschedule? Or do I take the test and if I pass they have me come back for oath after the anniversary? Or does the USCIS always schedule interviews after the anniversary date? My office is Miami, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Generally, USCIS will not schedule an interview date until you are past your third year anniversary. If this occur, you will not be allowed to take the oath until after your 3rd year anniversary of being a LPR...All the best.!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

USCIS seems very critical on not doing things to0 early, that 90 days means not one day earlier than 90 days, and you won't get your certificate not even one day earlier than on your third anniversary date. I know one person that didn't get her certificate until 15 months after her anniversary date. It's been our experience, they never can meet their appointment schedule, if you are one minute late for it, can reject you, but we always had to wait at least 90 minutes and one time as long as 3 1/2 hours. Those that did get their interview before their 3rd anniversary had to wait until that date passed before getting their certificate, and even well passed that date.

If they do schedule your interview before, better jump at it, if you reschedule it, may have to wait for months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You may well be interviewed before the third year anniversary - it has happened to others on VJ. Generally what occurs is that they do the interview, the test, etc., then the interviewer explains that they can't officially approve them yet because they are still shy of the 3 year time. The application 'waits' until the 3 year time is passed, at which time it is approved and a notification for an oath ceremony is sent. Generally, because you can only file 90 days prior to the third anniversary, if you are 'short' on time it is most likely not to be more than a week or two based on the fastest processing times we are seeing.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Well,

It happened to me, i became an LPR on December 17th 2006 and i had my interview scheduled for December 10th 2009. I got there, did the test and when i was called in for the second interview, the interviewer noticed i hadn't completed my 3 year requirement yet and had it re-scheduled for December 21 2009.

Mind you i had to do the test all over again. Apart from having to go to the USCIS office twice for the same thing, it wasn't much of a problem. Mind you, my DO is the Houston office.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Onuche

09/20/2009 (Day 01): N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX (Express Mail with Delivery Confirmation)

09/22/2009 (Day 03): N-400 Delivered @ Lewisville, TX @ 9:30am

09/24/2009 (Day 05): Check Cleared

09/28/2009 (Day 08): NOA Received (Priority Date: 09/24/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP Notice Received (scheduled for 11/17/2009)

10/30/2009 (Day 40): (FP done via walk-in on 10/30/2009)

11-07-2009 (Day 48): Touched online for "testing & interview"

11/09/2009 (Day 50): Interview Letter Received

12/10/2009 (Day 81): Interview Date @ 12:30pm (re-scheduled for Dec 21 @ 12:30pm)

02/03/2010 (Day 137): Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.