sleeper

Newbie for K1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi and welcome. The vast majority here on VJ will tell you that unless you have extenuating or difficult circumstances, a lawyer is NOT recommended for a K1 visa. It is time consuming and confusing at times, but completely doable on your own...well with help from VJ. Follow the guides above and ask a million questions. Using a lawyer will, generally speaking, use up your money, time and patience and sometimes not even help you much.

Good Luck!

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As the other two said.

As long as you know how to read instructions, and search here on VJ you will be fine. As long as it's a "typical" case ie; boy meets girl, girl is overseas, boy and girl wants to get married, then there shouldn't be any issues. A lawyer will do nothing but slow down a process you can do yourself if there is nothing that would cause issues. (Her being banned from US, over staying visa, police/court issues/etc.)

The biggest issue is the wait. Fill out the forms, get the documents needed and wait. Everything is easy when you use VJ.

My Fiance: GuardianAngel

K-1 Visa Timeline:

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent: July 23, 2009

Check Cashed: July 29, 2009

NOA1: July 28, 2009

NOA2: October 21, 2009

Left NVC: October 28, 2009

Medical Passed: December 15/16, 2009

Interview Passed: January 19th, 2010

Air21 Confirmation: January 25, 2010

Visa received: January 26, 2010

CFO Completed: January 27th, 2010

Flight to US: Febuary 3rd, 2010

MARRIED!: March 20th, 2010

AOS Timeline:

AOS, EAD, AP Filed: April 29, 2010

AOS, EAD, AP NOA1: May 6th, 2010

EAD, AP Biometrics: May 25th, 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Can I do the K1 visa myself without any legal help or visa service ?

I am a American living in California, My longtime Girlfriend is a Japanese

we want to get married.

You can do it, this is my third time doing this and now I am pretty much a professional, my only problem is that my new girl is in the Philippines and for some reason the Philippines is different than other countries, I just don't understand why, but it's more complicated and takes longer.

Just be neat and organized and read, mistakes cause delays. I haven't made a mistake yet.

This is going to be my last time too, I've had enough of immigration, they charge too much money, they have just gone crazy with the prices.

Can I do the K1 visa myself without any legal help or visa service ?

I am a American living in California, My longtime Girlfriend is a Japanese

we want to get married.

Absolutely, like others have said before - you can do it yourself. Just make sure you study the forms and process. There's some really great guides here, make sure you follow them and tick off everything as you go. I know of more than one case where a lawyer has made mistakes during the process, causing extra delays and frustrations! Good luck with your journey, whether you decide to use a lawyer or not :thumbs:

Edited by Wade+Kristin

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we can not tell you to do it with out any legal help or attorney because we do not know your situation...and we are not attorneys......... you might want to post your questions in the Japan thread.......every country has its own issues when it comes to visa's .........

most people can do it with out any help.......other than reading the guide lines here on vj......and in many cases attorneys slow down the process or do not address the issues that you hired them for to begin with......

good luck on ur visa process may it be swift and problem free

sara

Edited by estadia

You can do it, this is my third time doing this and now I am pretty much a professional, my only problem is that my new girl is in the Philippines and for some reason the Philippines is different than other countries, I just don't understand why, but it's more complicated and takes longer.

Just be neat and organized and read, mistakes cause delays. I haven't made a mistake yet.

This is going to be my last time too, I've had enough of immigration, they charge too much money, they have just gone crazy with the prices.

The Philippine is different?? How so?? I found it very easy and fast - Its not considered a difficult consulate at all.

No mistakes yet this is your third K-1?? :whistle:

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Welcome to VJ!

You'll be perfectly fine without a lawyer or any other agency. The VJers are here for you.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Someone told me to come to JV when I was thinking about how I was going to do Claudeth's visa. Then someone here recommended that I read the guides. I have seen a lot of grumbling about the guides lately but they really helped us every step of the way from the K-1 to adjustment of status to lifting conditions. Thus, I recommend you read the guides (see the link at the top of the page)

If thinkgs get confusing post questions. You will find a ton of people here who have good advise for you.

Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.