TdotGirl

Yet Another Quick Question, lol!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Peeps!!!

I cannot find this information anywhere and as much as I tried to think about it over and over, I don't even know who to call to verify an answer...

So I come to you all for some knowledge! :help:

I would like to know if I am legally able to change my maiden name to my husbands and yet still keep and use my maiden name in Canada :unsure:

I would love to and don't mind taking my husband's name because all of my documents will be from scratch however....

Eventually, somewhere down the road, we would like to move back to Canada, but I really wouldn't want to change everything over, I would much rather just keep everything the same - Is this legal to do (does Canada care that I'm known by a different last name in the US)???

Thanks so much everyone!!!

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I left all my Canadian documents- bank account, SIN number, credit card, student loan info etc. in my maiden name up in Canada while I have changed my name here in the US. So far it hasn't caused me any problems. It seems a little ridiculous to change everything over in Canada since I don't live there anymore and would need to appear in person to make a lot of the changes. But, I don't really know if I will ever move back. If I do, I will probably have closed my accounts by then and would start from scratch in my married name, with the exception of the SIN number that can be easily changed.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi TdotGirl (lol..From Toronto, I assume?),

Anyways, in answer to your questions:

Yes, you can legally use both your maiden names and married names at the same time (though why one would do such, is somewhat beyond my comprehension...lol...for professional reasons, perhaps?). After all, both names are yours.....

Neither country cares which name you use. As long as it is legal, and supported by legal documents (such as a marriage certificate, then so be it)....

Lol...Actually, the funniest thing, is that I wanted to change everything to my married name, and managed to successfully do such in the USA. However, I ran into some problems with the Canadian side, in changing things to my married name, as I didn't bother with all of the updates, since I don't live there anymore anyways. So half of my Canadian documents were/are still in my maiden name (valid SIN card, expired health card, Canadian jury duty notice, elections Canada notice, Canadian driver's license before exchanged it, Canadian banking/financial information, expired Canadian passport) there, and the other half are in my married name (current Canadian passport, Revenue Canada/tax information, etc.). Oh well...Hopefully they know it is the same person.......

If you are going to do/not do name changes, here is what I suggest.....

For Canada....

Keep your SIN in your maiden name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Keep your Canadian passport in you maiden name (for travel...but you must be careful with this one..and make sure you book tickets in this name too)

Keep your other Canadian identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your maiden name

Keep your tax information/Revenue Canada information in your maiden name

For the USA...

Put all immigration applications forms and documents in your married name (green card, ead, advance parole, citizenship certificate, etc.)

Put your SSN in your married name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Put other US identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your married name

Put your tax information/IRS information in your married name.

***And most important of all: Always have a copy of your marriage certificate, in case you run into any problems with your maiden/married names!***

Lol..Sigh...The things we women have to do when we get married and change our last names.....

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey and name changes/updates too.

Ant

Hey Peeps!!!

I cannot find this information anywhere and as much as I tried to think about it over and over, I don't even know who to call to verify an answer...

So I come to you all for some knowledge! :help:

I would like to know if I am legally able to change my maiden name to my husbands and yet still keep and use my maiden name in Canada :unsure:

I would love to and don't mind taking my husband's name because all of my documents will be from scratch however....

Eventually, somewhere down the road, we would like to move back to Canada, but I really wouldn't want to change everything over, I would much rather just keep everything the same - Is this legal to do (does Canada care that I'm known by a different last name in the US)???

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've kept mine in Canada and it seems ok, the only time it's a pain is that occasionally I forget that my Cdn bank account/ CC has my maiden name so I'll start signing a credit card slip in my married name!

In a couple weeks I have a biometrics appt and my letter is in my married name and I've been told to bring my passport (which is of course in my maiden name) so I will dig out my marriage license whch has both names to bring along - kind of a pain, but no big deal.

I am considering changing it - but then that means a new passport and a lot of waiting and changing.....I kind of wish in hindsight that I'd kept or hyphenated.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I've pretty much done this too, except I've changed my Canadian bank account because I was finding that people ask for ID a lot when you use a credit card here and my ID is now in my married name, and my Canadian credit card was in my maiden name and I use it occasionally, so I didn't want to get myself into a situation, ya know? I should probably change my student loan and my SIN #, but I can't be bothered!

Now that I've started working and have everything here in my married name, I can't imagine going back t my maiden name. It took me awhile to get used to it, I'm still getting used to it.... but I'm starting to feel like myself again!

My passport is still in my maiden name... I'm just waiting until it expires in 2011 to get a new one in my married name. I booked a flight home and I can't remember what name I used!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

FIRST OFF...

MERRY "BELATED" CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY & BLESSED NEW YEAR TO THE ENTIRE VJ FAMILY :D

Wow!!! I've been like a chicken with it's head cut off up until now, lol! My advice for the 2K10 VJ newbees: try NOT to do the BIG move during the Christmas holidays :wacko:

It's been so crazy that I actually forgot that I even posted this :blink:

I thank you all for replying - incredibly helpful, as usual!

Now that I'm officially over the border, it's time to do the SSN, MARRIAGE, AOS, DMV, ETC. stuff - oh joy! I'm happy, don't get me wrong, but I seriously cannot wait until I can totally chillax and not think about any of this stuff, lol!!! :sleepy:

(L) (L) I just would also like to say that even though I'm not on here that often, I truly am grateful towards every single one of you, you have all kept my sanity (and saved me beaucoups dargents) - I seriously could not have done this without you guys and I keep you all in my prayers and wish everyone the best on not only their visa journeys but their life journeys, may Love bless you all, all the time!!! (L) (L)

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.