jpac876

what to do if k2 visa can't be issued within 1 year

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

from my understanding of what i've read so far about k2 visas for our fiance's sons or daughters, i know that the k2 visa must be issued within 1 year that my fiance is granted her k1 visa. If for some reason we cannot process her 2 year old son's petition in that time frame, he will no longer be eligible for the k2 visa correct? That being said, what would the next route/option be for him in this unlikely event and roughly how long would it take to get him here? thanks for everyones input. I would also like to add that our petition has been approved as of 12/10 and that precious and i are very excited to have come this far this quickly. Thanks for everyones support, good luck and God bless to everyone

justin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
from my understanding of what i've read so far about k2 visas for our fiance's sons or daughters, i know that the k2 visa must be issued within 1 year that my fiance is granted her k1 visa. If for some reason we cannot process her 2 year old son's petition in that time frame, he will no longer be eligible for the k2 visa correct? That being said, what would the next route/option be for him in this unlikely event and roughly how long would it take to get him here? thanks for everyones input. I would also like to add that our petition has been approved as of 12/10 and that precious and i are very excited to have come this far this quickly. Thanks for everyones support, good luck and God bless to everyone

justin

The next rute would be to petition him on an I-130 after you are married. It will take MUCH longer. Co not miss the opportunity to do a K-2 visa if at all possible, even at the expense of postponing the K-1 for sometime.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

justin

You've got this all wrong, The K-2 visa is processed at the same time at the K-1 visa. You have the option of having the child(ren) To Join or To Follow.

If you use the To Join, then they come with the K-1 person. If To Follow, they have 1 year in which to come over to the US. If you wait until after the one year's time, then the K-2 becomes invalid and you have to go the I-130 route.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

justin

You've got this all wrong, The K-2 visa is processed at the same time at the K-1 visa. You have the option of having the child(ren) To Join or To Follow.

If you use the To Join, then they come with the K-1 person. If To Follow, they have 1 year in which to come over to the US. If you wait until after the one year's time, then the K-2 becomes invalid and you have to go the I-130 route.

actually, with a K-2 to follow, we did one for our older son, he does not get the visa the same time as the K-1. We did a separate application and interview, which must occur within one year of the K-1. If it appears he would not be able to apply for the K-2 within one year, then I would suggest postponing the K-1 until you can get him here within the one year period. It is just SOOOOOOOO much easier and faster

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

justin

actually, with a K-2 to follow, we did one for our older son, he does not get the visa the same time as the K-1. We did a separate application and interview, which must occur within one year of the K-1. If it appears he would not be able to apply for the K-2 within one year, then I would suggest postponing the K-1 until you can get him here within the one year period. It is just SOOOOOOOO much easier and faster

Bottomline it's MUCH better and a LOT easier to have the child come with you. Following to join works but can be a pain. Next in line is the I 130 which as Gary and alta infered isn't that desirable.

No one knows what changes will be made in the near future.

Old saying! "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush!"

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks guys! yea definitely not postponing anything with the k1 no matter what! Even if it means going the I-130 route. However, i'm almost 100% positive we'll be able to have her 3 year old son follow within 1 year that her visa is issued....We just need a couple months to get on our feet and perhaps save a bit of money before bringing him over. Anyway thanks for all your input =) hopefully the 2nd half of the k1 process (post-NOA2) will go just as smoothly for us as the first! God bless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.