froman

Specifics on Medical Exam Process

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
WHY in hell u worry so much???? hey man , just relax and tell ur fiance to relax. or is there something to hide?

doctors have seen a lot of woman and man bodies , 1 more doesnt make a difference...They probably would laugh at some but thats ok, i hope u are not in this category and even if u are, the laugh is very discreet :dance: , but anyways as I was saying, tell ur fiance to worry more in pass the medical rather than thinking if some doctor is going to look her body. this kind of worries are not very necessary at all. wether her body is perfect or not . nobody cares nor even the doc. So be cool. prepare for ur interview, the medical is a piece of cake, good luckkkkkkkkkkkkk :devil:

First of all understand that this is not an attack on your post, just a personal point. For some couples this can be a BIG deal, because from a cultural perspective the girl may have never been exposed naked to another man before. And if the doctor turns out to be a man, it could create a very uncomfortable situation. So, it is important for the couple to be able to plan for this eventuality. Most women in the US are used to the idea of going to a female doc at least once per year. But in a place such as China, it is not common to do unless there is a problem. So, the potential idea of an unknown man looking at her private areas can cause consternation. I apologize for posting the earlier comment about a "standard gyn" exam...should have just posted that they do a check of the lady parts. Ultimately, I agree with the poster whose quote I am referencing...it shouldn't be a big deal considering the overall process but we also have to take our fiance(e)'s cultural norms into consideration.

I do like the expression "lady bits," that is my new expression for the week! :thumbs::whistle:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My fiance is pretty nervous about the medical examination required for the fiance K-1 VISA. I'd prefer not to go into the reasons, but it is causing some serious concern, even 6 months out. A few specific questions:

Can any woman (in particular) who have gone through the process describe in some detail what it entails? Specifically, did you have to expose yourself to the doctor? What sort of physical examination did the doctor do?

She will be doing the examination in London. I assume it is protocol for her to be permitted to request a female for all steps of the medical examination. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. Good luck to you all.

I attended the Basil Street location of Knightsbridge doctors for my medical in London. (I am a female)

For the X-Ray, I was required to take off my top and underwear and put on a gown. I was not asked to remove my lower underwear, trousers, shoes or socks. I changed behind a privacy screen, so it was all very discreet. The doctor prepared to take my x-ray whilst I changed. The gown was sufficient enough at covering me well, though I did have to wait in the waiting room whilst wearing the gown. This could perhaps cause some discomfort for some women if there had been men waiting there also.

My medical examination was conducted by a female doctor. She examined my eyes and throat, felt around my neck and lower abdomen, listened to my heart and took my pulse. She did have a look "down there", but it was entirely to confirm my gender. I was not asked to remove my trousers or underwear for this. I admit the experience was a little awkward, but I was prepared for it happening and made a little joke with the doctor after it was over. I think they understand that some women can be uncomfortable about this part of the medical, so they try to get it over with as fast as possible.

As soon as the physical was done, I was allowed to change back into my clothes. Again, there is a privacy screen which was pulled over the examination area. This was closed and the doctor went back to write up some notes at her desk whilst I changed.

Edited by FrostyMist

• 4 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do anyone of you know if drug testing is done during medical?

There does not seem to be a hard answer on this, but consider that they have your blood and urine and can now test for drugs without you now even knowing it. If they do that and find things you would rather they do not find, and you told them you don't use drugs, you are a liar, which is a really really bad finding.

Is this an issue for you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.