Aero and Dero

Hugo nominated Canadian SF writer detained and beaten while exiting US into Canada

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From the Canadian Press - courtesy of CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/12/12/wa...rest-us012.html

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Without getting into the "who is this guy anyway" or "was he right or wrong" I'll just comment on US border guards stopping Canada-bound cars. Yes, it does happen. I've been stopped a couple of times when they were "blitzing" at the Peace Bridge - was questioned, had my ID checked, asked where I'd been in the US, etc. This was all on the US side of the Peace Bridge, but only for Canada-bound traffic.

- Steve's wife

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think that is really odd, that U.S. border guards stop Canadian bound traffic. Now, if they thought someone was a terrorist and wanted to nab them before they left the country - that's one thing, but why would they ever feel the need to have a 'blitz'. Who are they protecting under those circumstances?

Timeline
I doubt having a degree in Canadian literature makes you the end all be all of any kind of writing going on in Canada. Not knowing that's not what makes you ignorant. Gay, indeed.

:lol:

It's a shame some people can't take a joke. That is the first thing.

Secondly, I think a degree in Can Lit counts for a little something when talking about..well...Canadian Literature. Most sci-fi, in my personal and educated opinion, is garbage. The community is so small, it's not even worth studying. Again, just my opinion. I never said that made me the be all and end all. You are simply getting defensive because every one on this board, involved in this thread, is calling bullshit on this story.

Lastly, now that the CBC has published an article that people can actually TRUST, it appears he was aggressive and refused to comply. Reasons for everything, right? I can be almost certain that they would NOT have pepper sprayed him if it was not warranted.

Case and point, aero and dero, and you can sit here and tap the keys all you'd like...the best one being "homophobic" :lol: Really? Because, I didn't realize that you knew me and that you understood my viewpoint on gay rights. Jeeze. You are part of the reason I don't come here very often any more. BORING.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I think that is really odd, that U.S. border guards stop Canadian bound traffic. Now, if they thought someone was a terrorist and wanted to nab them before they left the country - that's one thing, but why would they ever feel the need to have a 'blitz'. Who are they protecting under those circumstances?

US Customs does do export checks. I'm not exactly sure why they do it but I imagin it's another "statistical" thing to justify the amount of money being spent on the "border protection". Generally, I think they want to know if there is any large amounts of currency leaving the country for the drug trade, terrorism, etc. Personally, I think US does export check to nab anything before the Canadians can. My experience is that anytime the Canadian side was setting up a blitz or project, the next thing we would see is the US pulling out the stop signs for the northbound traffice to do an export blitz. A bit of a "pissin match" as I see it.

Timeline

US Customs does do export checks. I'm not exactly sure why they do it but I imagin it's another "statistical" thing to justify the amount of money being spent on the "border protection". Generally, I think they want to know if there is any large amounts of currency leaving the country for the drug trade, terrorism, etc. Personally, I think US does export check to nab anything before the Canadians can. My experience is that anytime the Canadian side was setting up a blitz or project, the next thing we would see is the US pulling out the stop signs for the northbound traffice to do an export blitz. A bit of a "pissin match" as I see it.

Probably so, neiks. It make sense, it a kind of illogical way. Still doesn't make it right to not comply, get aggressive, or just not listen. I think it's actually kind of odd that a border guard screaming at you doesn't instill any fear. I'm sure we can all agree that one shout from them probably makes a lot of people want to wet themselves. To get out of your car and walk up to them...takes a lot of balls.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Probably so, neiks. It make sense, it a kind of illogical way. Still doesn't make it right to not comply, get aggressive, or just not listen. I think it's actually kind of odd that a border guard screaming at you doesn't instill any fear. I'm sure we can all agree that one shout from them probably makes a lot of people want to wet themselves. To get out of your car and walk up to them...takes a lot of balls.

I really didn't read the story carefully. Thing to remember until a person actually exits the US and enters into Canada they are still subject to US laws and inspections - so just because someones intent is to leave the US doesn't mean that they can't be stopped before exiting and subject to search by the US and the US laws. I really didn't read the details of the story but in general if a person doesn't comply to directions given by an official then there actions would be seen as aggressive behaviour and would be responded to with the necessary actions to have that person comply. I tell you to stay in your car - you better stay in your car - getting out and walking toward me is going to be seen as a very aggressive action. In Canada we have limits on "excessive force". Meaning we can only apply as much force as necessary to have the person comply and don't jump on him and start kicken the ####### out of them. I take any story with a grain of salt. A person say they got the ####### kicked out of them - when really the just restrained them. I have had heard many peoples say their cars were "torn apart" when in reality they were search and respectfully repacked and everything put back. Not to say I haven't seen cars torn apart and left that way - but in seems it is somewhat human nature to exaggerate out experiences to seem worse that what it was. I'm necessarily saying this is the case in this story - maybe he did get the ####### kicked out of him - anything could be possible.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What the hell is a Hugo?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Lol Yep judging by that article he tried to play the "Do you know who I am" card and they didn't. I was crossing through the Windsor Tunnel once and saw a drunk kid walking around looking into cars trying to find where his friends were. He was surrounded by 10 or so guards and was taken away so quickly, you just don't get out of your car like that. This guy is an idiot if 50% of that story is true haha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
What the hell is a Hugo?

a famous author

"jumping off the cliff" by hugo first

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

gay :rofl:

J/K. This sounds like a lot of stories involving the authorities. Haven't people learned by now that when you are being questioned by law enforcement, unless directed to NEVER exit your vehicle unless instructed to. There are so many things that can go wrong with getting out of the car. Either they think you are fleeing, have something to hide, or worse yet, they think you're some pompous asshat who is going to pull the self-righteous indignation card out. Either way, you're making a poor decision.

Timeline

Never heard of this guy either, but Sci Fi isn't exactly my area of interest.

I had an interesting experience once crossing into Canada after I had been to the US. I was using the Rainbow Bridge (not sure what I was thinking there) and there were a number of US border guards just standing at the US side stopping cars randomly. The guy stopped me, and just started striking up a conversation. He didn't ask for ID or how long I had been in the US, he just asked me how I was doing, what I thought of the weather and just a slew of completely random conversational questions. After a couple minutes he just told me to have a good day and walked away. I'm really not sure what he was trying to accomplish with that!

But really, its a routine check, these guys are just trying to do their job even if it seems like a strange method of doing it. Getting angry and questioning them is not going to make things better for you. When you get stopped by a cop after rolling a stop sign or speeding, even if you think you didn't do it, you don't wait for them to walk up to your window and start yelling. You'll turn a routine traffic ticket into a night in jail really fast.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.