Rezandy

Canadian marrying American....Which ways the best?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen and my fiance is an American citizen, we are wondering what are best option is, we have a couple choices........

Option 1.

We are going to be together in Canada this Christmas, and we could get married over the holidays, (what would she have to do in order to get married in Canada?) and then we would apply for the Cr-1 visa, or I-130. Then she would go back to the states, and I would stay up in Canada, and we would be apart until the visa goes through.

Option 2.

After Christmas she goes back to the states and applies for the Fiance F-1 visa to petition for me to come down to the states. After that goes through, I come down to the states and we get married within 90 days.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think is best for us, we just want to be together as soon as possible, that is our biggest concern!

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Vancouver, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-01-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-05-24(APPROVED)

Packet 3 Received : 2010-06-23

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-06-24

Medical Date: 2010-07-14

Interview Date : 2010-07-20

Interview Result : PASSED!!

Visa Received : 2010-07-29

US Entry : 2010-08-07

Marriage : 2010-08-24

Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 125 days from your NOA1 date.

If you get married in Canada especially Montreal she will not get your last name.

I would do option 2.

I even think they process k1 faster.

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in your hearts you can overcome anything.

Well, this is purely opinion, but if you're both fine with getting married in Canada this month, then it makes sense to do that and then go the CR-1 option. That will make you a permanent resident, provided everything goes smoothly. Going for the K-1 will take a similar amount of time, but will only allow you to move down there as a non-immigrant and work on a temporary basis, requiring adjustment within a certain timeframe etc.

Ultimately, CR-1 sounds like your best bet since it skips a lot of the paperwork you would have to do otherwise, and you'll be considered a legal immigrant as soon as you cross the border.

Just my opinion...there will be many others across this thread and forum!

If you get married in Canada especially Montreal she will not get your last name.

What in the world are you talking about?

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It depends on your priorities. The K-1 generally takes 7-9 months when going through the consulate in Montreal while the CR-1 is closer to a year to process. However, if you choose the K-1, you will not be able to work in the US, not even on a temporary basis, until you file for AOS after the marriage and recieve your EAD. After you apply for AOS this normally takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months. Adjustment of status also costs another $1010 and can sometimes require another interview for the applicant.

The CR-1 takes longer but is cheaper overall and allows you to work immediately upon entry. You would recieve your green card without additional paperwork, additional money and perhaps an additional interview.

If the primary concern is speed and working isn't a big issue, then I would recommend the K-1. If you need/want to work immediately and want to avoid the AOS process later, than the CR-1 is your best option.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi ConfusedCanadian9,

As a Canadian with intention to marry and immigrate to the USA to be with your partner, here are your legal visa options,

for immigration based on marriage:

K1 (fiance visa...be in Canada, file the paperwork, come to the USA, get married in the USA, adjust status),

K3 (marriage visa...be in Canada, get married in Canada, file paperwork, come to the USA, adjust status),

CR (marriage visa...be in Canada, get married in Canada, file paperwork, come to the USA...)

This might include some separation, but rest assured, that time will pass by quickly, and before you know it, you will be reunited again...

And it helps that other vjers here too have gone through the same/similar thing, so you are not alone here...

For more info about the different types of marriage visas, you can check out the visa journey "guides" section here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey as well.

Ant

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen and my fiance is an American citizen, we are wondering what are best option is, we have a couple choices........

Option 1.

We are going to be together in Canada this Christmas, and we could get married over the holidays, (what would she have to do in order to get married in Canada?) and then we would apply for the Cr-1 visa, or I-130. Then she would go back to the states, and I would stay up in Canada, and we would be apart until the visa goes through.

Option 2.

After Christmas she goes back to the states and applies for the Fiance F-1 visa to petition for me to come down to the states. After that goes through, I come down to the states and we get married within 90 days.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think is best for us, we just want to be together as soon as possible, that is our biggest concern!

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I would do option 2.

Yeah they should require a test to be able to post advice Lol.

"You can only get married in Canada and apply for the CR-1 if a penguin is your best man"

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

I would do option 2.

"You can only get married in Canada and apply for the CR-1 if a penguin is your best man"

So what are you saying? I have to take a test to post my opinion!!!!!

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in your hearts you can overcome anything.

I would do option 2.

Lol This thread is someone asking for clarification, not someone making up rules :)

To the OP, I would recommend the CR-1 as it saves you a lot of time in the future and from what I've read about here a lot of headaches. My wife and I got married in Canada and then applied for the CR-1 and by doing so she was able to apply for jobs the very next day after she came over. Good luck to you with whatever you decide!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some questions I have for you before answering:

- Where do you live. The reason I ask is, depending on which province you live in you will either interview in Montreal or Vancouver, for a K (fiancee visa). Vancouver is faster at scheduling appointments than Montreal.

Manitoba and West: Vancouver

Ontario and East: Montreal

- What are your priorities? If getting to the States as fast as possible is your number 1 priority - that's one thing - if money and boredom are also issues, then you may want to consider the CR1 visa as you will be able to work as soon as you arrive, you won't be able to with a K visa.

As for getting married in Canada, overall it's the same as getting married in the U.S. - you apply for a marriage license, find someone to marry you - that's about it. If you want area specific information (like how long it will take to get the official marriage certificate from the registry office so you can file your U.S. immigration paperwork) - we need to know where you live.

So a few more details please - and welcome to VJ :)

I would do option 2.

Lol This thread is someone asking for clarification, not someone making up rules :)

To the OP, I would recommend the CR-1 as it saves you a lot of time in the future and from what I've read about here a lot of headaches. My wife and I got married in Canada and then applied for the CR-1 and by doing so she was able to apply for jobs the very next day after she came over. Good luck to you with whatever you decide!!

lol at yourself.

Timeline

I would do option 2.

Actually what mstangie posted is accurate.

But I guess it's more fun to ridicule someone who probably has english as a a second language and is quite new to these boards.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Some questions I have for you before answering:

- Where do you live. The reason I ask is, depending on which province you live in you will either interview in Montreal or Vancouver, for a K (fiancee visa). Vancouver is faster at scheduling appointments than Montreal.

Manitoba and West: Vancouver

Ontario and East: Montreal

- What are your priorities? If getting to the States as fast as possible is your number 1 priority - that's one thing - if money and boredom are also issues, then you may want to consider the CR1 visa as you will be able to work as soon as you arrive, you won't be able to with a K visa.

As for getting married in Canada, overall it's the same as getting married in the U.S. - you apply for a marriage license, find someone to marry you - that's about it. If you want area specific information (like how long it will take to get the official marriage certificate from the registry office so you can file your U.S. immigration paperwork) - we need to know where you live.

So a few more details please - and welcome to VJ :)

I live in BC, and we just want to be together. From what I've gathered the K-1 takes 6-9months and then you have to apply to work which can take 3 months. Or we do the Cr-1 which takes roughly a year, but you can work soon as I get to the States. Do you have to wait until the visa (k-1 or Cr-1) goes through before you schedule an interview?

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Vancouver, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-01-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-05-24(APPROVED)

Packet 3 Received : 2010-06-23

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-06-24

Medical Date: 2010-07-14

Interview Date : 2010-07-20

Interview Result : PASSED!!

Visa Received : 2010-07-29

US Entry : 2010-08-07

Marriage : 2010-08-24

Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 125 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

YOU don't schedule an interview. An interview is scheduled for you and you are informed of the date and time of the interview. This is done after the initial petition is received and the petition goes through NVC (length of time at NVC is dependent upon the visa you pursue)

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Since you say you're in BC, I would honestly (if you can afford not working) go with the K1. Vancouver is a much faster consulate when it comes to scheduling interviews.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

So if getting there as quick as possible is your number one goal - the K1 is probably your best bet as you would have your interview scheduled in Vancouver.

Your last question there indicates that you don't really understand the process yet (completely understandable :) )

You should look at the guides and read them to make sure you understand most of the process, then if you have any questions there are many here who have filed the K1 who can fill in the gaps :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.