Vanessa1

Which type of visa

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Go for the IR1/CR1.

K3 is practically obsolete at this point. It was introduced at a time when CR1s were taking years to be processed so as to allow the immigrant to be with the USC spouse during the process. Nowadays they are processing both at about the same time -- the only place where the K3 saves you time (4 weeks or so) is in the NVC stage. Not worth it. The CR1 is a far superior visa as has been explained in minute detail regarding cost/time/benefits. After two years, you may file for removal of conditions.

You don't want to have to deal with USCIS more than you really need to.

Good luck on your visajourney! :)

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I guess it depends on how long the CO review is. We were in AP for a few weeks after the K3 interview, then we had our CR1 interview and were in AP for 2 more weeks after that. We received the visa almost exactly 2 weeks later and it was the CR1 visa because the K3 is cancelled once you interview for the CR1

wow thats not the bad really now i got it as well , i will see what i can do with it cause so far i still waiting but not any news so i guess for going to CR1 will be the better opation , thanks so much again ,, have a great day.

Go for the IR1/CR1.

K3 is practically obsolete at this point. It was introduced at a time when CR1s were taking years to be processed so as to allow the immigrant to be with the USC spouse during the process. Nowadays they are processing both at about the same time -- the only place where the K3 saves you time (4 weeks or so) is in the NVC stage. Not worth it. The CR1 is a far superior visa as has been explained in minute detail regarding cost/time/benefits. After two years, you may file for removal of conditions.

Thanks so much for your reply ,, wish you the best luck,, have a great day .

Mounir and Suzie

UFHJ.jpg

pJWdp2.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I have to step in here and say something since the original question was regarding my situation in that we have already filed the CR1 and I was asking about doing the K3 at the same time to see which would get the interview first. I don't know that it is actually sound advice here for Mounir at this point since he has already had his K3 interview. The CR1 would start over from the beginning. It's not like they had been filed at the same time. I would think, in Mounir's case, it would be best to see what happens with his K3 since he's in AP and go from there. He's already said repeatedly how much he misses Suzie and want to be with her so starting over from the beginning might not be best. I know if I were in that situation and my SO told me he wanted to start from the beginning, after being so close to done, and I would not be happy at all.

This is just my opinion but I thought I should step in and make sure that the advice is being given realizing that our two situations are vastly different.

I guess it depends on how long the CO review is. We were in AP for a few weeks after the K3 interview, then we had our CR1 interview and were in AP for 2 more weeks after that. We received the visa almost exactly 2 weeks later and it was the CR1 visa because the K3 is cancelled once you interview for the CR1

wow thats not the bad really now i got it as well , i will see what i can do with it cause so far i still waiting but not any news so i guess for going to CR1 will be the better opation , thanks so much again ,, have a great day.

Go for the IR1/CR1.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Timeline
Ok, I have to step in here and say something since the original question was regarding my situation in that we have already filed the CR1 and I was asking about doing the K3 at the same time to see which would get the interview first. I don't know that it is actually sound advice here for Mounir at this point since he has already had his K3 interview. The CR1 would start over from the beginning. It's not like they had been filed at the same time. I would think, in Mounir's case, it would be best to see what happens with his K3 since he's in AP and go from there. He's already said repeatedly how much he misses Suzie and want to be with her so starting over from the beginning might not be best. I know if I were in that situation and my SO told me he wanted to start from the beginning, after being so close to done, and I would not be happy at all.

This is just my opinion but I thought I should step in and make sure that the advice is being given realizing that our two situations are vastly different.

Go for the IR1/CR1.

i was thinking of all you said cause you right i suppose to be close to done with k3 last week i got an e mail from the embassy telling me that now the case is pending co officer's review so lots on here told me that does mean i finally got out of AP , today i e mailed the embassy asking what the statue now of my case but still didnt get any reply from them , i just thought after reading about CR1 it can make things faster now cause even i got this e mail about my case but i seen lots got the same one and still waiting for months to get their visa so its really confusing and for changing it now it can make a high risk to cause more waiting time so i really still thinking about that , wish to do any fast process to my case to be with my wife its so hard to be far apart all this time sorry dont mean to sound like complain ,, thanks for you advice ,, have a great one .

Mounir and Suzie

UFHJ.jpg

pJWdp2.png

Timeline

just i want to say i decide to keep going with k3 cause as Vanessa said it will make all over start again so i guess for me time is pass to change it now is hard to handle more waiting time for a new interview and all this process ,, i thought to change it to CR1 thinking it can make all more fast to issue the visa also for all the papers need to done when God willing i go there but the fact its too late to change it now so i will stay with K3 may God help all of us ,, thanks to everyone i appreciate all the responding not only the one for me but every posting it gave me a great info ,, have a nice blessed day all .

Mounir and Suzie

UFHJ.jpg

pJWdp2.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i skipped the second page of this thread, so hopefully this won't be too redundant. i just wanted to pipe up, since we recently went through the K3 process, and say that there are some reasons that some people need to do K3-- for instance, i am a student at the moment, and had to have a cosponsor. i could only find a cosponsor to sponsor my husband for the k3, not for the cr1, so that kind of made our decision for us. however, if i had been working and we didn't need the cosponsor, i would have chosen the cr1, even if it took a couple extra months. it is very hard being apart, but it's even harder watching someone you love struggle with their self-worth because they are waiting on permission to work. everyone is different, though, maybe for some people that wouldn't be as hard of a transition, but it has been a big issue for us. we have been waiting about 3 months for a work permit now. :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.