KarimaG

Requirements for Residing in Morocco

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Mulling over plan B on 'temporarily' moving to Morocco. This is what I cam across. I was under the impression that one could reside in Morocco with no limit of theyre stay. Wondering what anyone else knows or has come across...

ENTRY REQUIREMENT: The Moroccan immigration authorities require that U.S. citizens possess a valid passport to enter the country (student and military identity cards are not accepted). At present, vaccinations are not required. Upon your arrival, you may be asked to produce evidence that you have financial resources sufficient to cover your expenses during your stay in Morocco.

LENGTH OF STAY: Although entry visas are not required, you must declare your intention to become a resident within 15 days of your arrival or depart Morocco three months after your arrival. Failure to comply with the three month regulation may result in prosecution by Moroccan authorities.

Information taken from: http://casablanca.usconsulate.gov/visareqformorocco.html

I wonder if this applies if your married to a citizen???

Timeline
I'm a permanent resident of Morocco, and owned a home there before I married a Moroccan. Still, marriage is no protection from being kicked out when they decide you have to go.

Well ####### that sucks! But, how can one be called a 'permanent resident' and kick you out if they decide for you to go?

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I'm a permanent resident of Morocco, and owned a home there before I married a Moroccan. Still, marriage is no protection from being kicked out when they decide you have to go.

Well ####### that sucks! But, how can one be called a 'permanent resident' and kick you out if they decide for you to go?

The same thing can happen to a PR here. Countries have the right to control who exists within their borders. I don't worry about getting kicked out, but I'm unlikely to become indigent and my family is well established there since the 1920's.

Timeline

The same thing can happen to a PR here. Countries have the right to control who exists within their borders. I don't worry about getting kicked out, but I'm unlikely to become indigent and my family is well established there since the 1920's.

Thanks Sofiyya for your reply to my question! :-D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
NP :)

As far as I understand it you can stay for up to 3 months but if you intend to stay longer and become a resident then you have to go to the local police station to extend your stay. You will need to do that if you are thinking of filing directly with the consulate. They require you be in Morocco for 6 months before filing with them. I suggest also talking with someone who has done this recently to see what exactly you have to do in order to extend your stay.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Timeline

If your plan B is to reside in Morocco, how would you support yourself? Do you plan on doing DCF for your spouse? Most people that do that get approved pretty quick but you have to reside there for 6mos. Your plan B can to go there and get married then come back home to USA and file CR1.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Timeline
If your plan B is to reside in Morocco, how would you support yourself? Do you plan on doing DCF for your spouse? Most people that do that get approved pretty quick but you have to reside there for 6mos. Your plan B can to go there and get married then come back home to USA and file CR1.

I have never heard of a DCF... I have my own business so I have ways of supporting myself and helping out.

The plan at the moment is if we have not heard anything by March, is withdrawl the K1, and for me to go there for one month, marry and come back home and file a CR1. If that does not work, I will move there permanently as a last resort to things.

Edited by KarimaG

Timeline

If you want to be a resident you have to go to the local police station and declare that within 15 days... doesn't matter if you're married to a citizen or not. If you don't do that, you will need to exit and re-enter and then declare your intention.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline
The plan at the moment is if we have not heard anything by March, is withdrawl the K1, and for me to go there for one month, marry and come back home and file a CR1. If that does not work, I will move there permanently as a last resort to things.

hope things work out. if you end up having to move permanently how does your daughter feel about leaving her friends and family and starting over to attend school in Morocco?

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you find a full-time job you can apply for a "carte de sejour" which will allow you to live legally in Morocco without becoming a permanent resident. You need to apply and get a receipt for the carte de sejour before your 3 months expires. The carte de sejour can be renewed each year for as long as you like. (I even knew somebody who bribed his gendarmes to make him a carte de sejour for 10 years) I don't remember all the steps it took to get the carte de sejour, but your employer will be able to help you.

Another option, if you don't find full-time employment and if you're financially able, is to travel outside the country before your 3 months is up. Spain is an easy option and a fun retreat. I did this myself while waiting for my full-time job to kick in and it worked quite nicely. You could do this as many times as possible and it won't be a problem.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Timeline
If you find a full-time job you can apply for a "carte de sejour" which will allow you to live legally in Morocco without becoming a permanent resident. You need to apply and get a receipt for the carte de sejour before your 3 months expires. The carte de sejour can be renewed each year for as long as you like. (I even knew somebody who bribed his gendarmes to make him a carte de sejour for 10 years) I don't remember all the steps it took to get the carte de sejour, but your employer will be able to help you.

Another option, if you don't find full-time employment and if you're financially able, is to travel outside the country before your 3 months is up. Spain is an easy option and a fun retreat. I did this myself while waiting for my full-time job to kick in and it worked quite nicely. You could do this as many times as possible and it won't be a problem.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Pretty much I am self employed, so I will not be seeking employment as of yet that I know of. Plan now is moving there, then after 6 months or so applying for cr1. If cr1 or anything else does not work out then becoming a permanent resident will come into play. Thanks for the information everyone and I will look into "carte de sejour" too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.