v333k

Do I understand requirements for N-400 correctly

7 posts in this topic

I am still in the process of removing conditions, but I was reading the guide to applying for citizenship, and I ran across the following:

. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

Does this mean one item listed above? or do we need to send in a package like for I-751?

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

IRS transcripts for the last 3 years will suffice with the N-400.

However you might want to keep some items from the first line as well as extra proof if required. You don't need to send those in with the application just take them to the interview when that time eventually comes.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

The requirement in your case is that you have been an LPR for 3 years and are still married to the same spouse for the same time. How many documents do you need to prove that?

Most people need a marriage certificate, which is why that's required, joint tax returns, which is why that's required as well, and choose to add a document or two, perhaps a lease or mortgage and a bank statement, to support their case.

And for the record, the "we" thingi died when you received your 10-year Green Card. Now it's you, and you alone.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

IRS transcripts for the last 3 years will suffice with the N-400.

However you might want to keep some items from the first line as well as extra proof if required. You don't need to send those in with the application just take them to the interview when that time eventually comes.

Looking at your timeline, I get the feeling you are speaking from experience(?). However, the instructions are stating to send the items.

Which is it?

The requirement in your case is that you have been an LPR for 3 years and are still married to the same spouse for the same time. How many documents do you need to prove that?

Most people need a marriage certificate, which is why that's required, joint tax returns, which is why that's required as well, and choose to add a document or two, perhaps a lease or mortgage and a bank statement, to support their case.

And for the record, the "we" thingi died when you received your 10-year Green Card. Now it's you, and you alone.

Thanks. So you are saying to mail these copies with the application, and take them to the interview.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a really handy little booklet prepared by USCIS called A Guide to Naturalization. It is available on their website by clicking on Citizenship - here is the direct link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD You will find most of your questions answered there.

Basically, when you read the question you quoted, it says 'or', so yes, you include one of those items requested, not all of them. For submitting the actual N-400 you do need to read over the instructions and include only what the instructions ask for. More isn't necessary with the application - you can bring additional evidence with you to the interview along with the originals of what you submitted. The type of evidence to bring is along the lines of what you submitted with the I-751 to prove you are still sharing your life together as husband and wife except this time include from the time you submitted the I-751 to your citizenship date. In all likelihood you will not be requested to present it to the interviewer, however some VJers have been asked for additional evidence of relationship so it is best to be prepared.

Hope this helps. I just received my citizenship last August and I will say it is the easiest part of the whole Visa Journey.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

There is a really handy little booklet prepared by USCIS called A Guide to Naturalization. It is available on their website by clicking on Citizenship - here is the direct link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD You will find most of your questions answered there.

Basically, when you read the question you quoted, it says 'or', so yes, you include one of those items requested, not all of them. For submitting the actual N-400 you do need to read over the instructions and include only what the instructions ask for. More isn't necessary with the application - you can bring additional evidence with you to the interview along with the originals of what you submitted. The type of evidence to bring is along the lines of what you submitted with the I-751 to prove you are still sharing your life together as husband and wife except this time include from the time you submitted the I-751 to your citizenship date. In all likelihood you will not be requested to present it to the interviewer, however some VJers have been asked for additional evidence of relationship so it is best to be prepared.

Hope this helps. I just received my citizenship last August and I will say it is the easiest part of the whole Visa Journey.

Appreciate your answer.

Yes - I did go to the USCIS website and gather all the information that you are referring to. I guess I was confused since I compared it with the 1" thick I-751 packet and it seemed too little to send one document. :unsure:

Thanks again

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You could really do well in the stock market with a working crystal ball and will need that same ball to know what kind of IO you are going to get. From our experience at the St. Paul office during our AOS, the IO didn't even want to see our original evidence, so wasn't going to bother bringing it for the N-400, but did anyway.

To sum it up briefly, for the AOS, need proof the sponsoring USC is indeed a USC, is free to marry with divorce documentation as is the immigration, does have a marriage certificate. For the I-761, proof of marriage or being free to marry was not a requirement, but positive proof that you are financially living together was a very strong requirement.

For the N-400, it was for us a combination of both the AOS and the I-751 and from a tip from a friend before us, we even got a joint utility bill that my wife's IO wanted to see. Our friend with home deeds, three years of joint tax returns, joint bank and credit card accounts, joint home, auto and health insurance was rejected because of lack of a utility bill that led to a long delay in her processing. Our stack was far thicker than the I-751, because it was all that plus proof of my citizenship, free to marry, and the marriage certificate and wife's IO wanted to see ALL the originals.

I agree that all you should need is that ten year green card, because you would have never of received that without all that proof, and that also includes two years of joint tax returns. And several here got by with just that, but we and many that we know did not causing a major delay. If you feel lucky, just send in the minimum and see what happens. Won't get rejected, but will have to go back the 2nd or 3rd time and add months to your processing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.