endoftheroad

Zhu Zhu Pets Proven Safe

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/07/zhu.zhu.toys/index.html

Group claiming Zhu Zhu toys unsafe clarifies testing method

December 7, 2009 7:00 p.m. EST

A consumer Web site on Monday clarified its previous announcement that one of the hottest-selling toys of the holiday season contains high levels of a potentially hazardous substance, saying its testing method was different from that of the federal government.

The manufacturer of Zhu Zhu Pets, which makes the light-brown hamster called Mister Squiggles, then issued a statement saying the method the group used to identify levels of antimony is "inferior" and has not been determined to be reliable.

In the message on the Web site of California-based GoodGuide, the group's co-founder, Dara O'Rourke said: "While GoodGuide considers the presence of any antimony on the surface of a toy to be a concern, we want to clarify that we used a testing methodology to evaluate the toys that is different from the testing methodology incorporated into the federal standards."

Russ Hornsby, CEO of the toy manufacturer, St. Louis, Missouri-based Cepia LLC, said he was pleased at the clarification.

The testing was conducted using an "inferior testing methodology ... that has 'not been determined to be a reliable test method' by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in August of 2009," Hornsby said in a statement.

However, that determination was made by the commission regarding testing for lead, according to documents on its Web site. The documents said further research was needed before a final determination could be made on the methodology.

"As we have continually stressed, all Zhu Zhu Pets toys are safe and compliant with all U.S. and European standards for consumer health and safety in toys," Hornsby said. Products are tested internally and reviewed by an independent third party, he said.

GoodGuide, according to its Web site, "strives to provide the world's largest and most reliable source of information on the health, environmental and social impacts of products and companies."

O'Rourke told CNN last week that testing found levels of 93 to 106 parts per million of antimony on Mister Squiggles. The new federal standard is about 60 parts per million, she said.

Antimony is used in textiles and plastics to prevent them from catching fire, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry. Prolonged exposure can cause lung and heart problems, ulcers and diarrhea, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Bruce Katz, Cepia senior vice president, told CNN the toys "do not contain high levels of antimony in any way."

The toys are popular in Europe as well as in the United States. Their British distributor, Character Options, said the products, sold there as "Go Go Pets," are "fully compliant" with U.S. and European Union standards.

"In addition, as part of Character Options' standard due diligence, the toy has been further tested on three separate occasions by the company's own safety experts and found to fully comply with all EU standards," the company said in a statement issued Sunday.

Seems someone has it out for Chinese toys, maybe NATIONALISTIC FERVOR? Tsk tsk.

moving right along

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
quote]

Haha...I thought all toys are Chinese... but seriously, it is good that we have groups that test these materials. In some countries so many people are hurt because of lack of testing and oversight. I am not a fan of big government, but I do believe that someone has to have protection of the consumer in mind. :innocent:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Timeline
quote]

Haha...I thought all toys are Chinese... but seriously, it is good that we have groups that test these materials. In some countries so many people are hurt because of lack of testing and oversight. I am not a fan of big government, but I do believe that someone has to have protection of the consumer in mind. :innocent:

Problem here was a group saw it was a Chinese toy, performed their "inferior" test on it, then claimed it was a health hazard to all the major media who ran with it as a lead story.

OOPS!

Seems China gets a bad rap at times when a very minute amount of their stuff gets banned while we have stuff that is much more dangerous, kills ten times as many people, and it barely makes the news.

Good that our government put the kabosh on this group's (not a government group) false findings.

moving right along

Timeline
show us your face, cookie boy.

Post reported. Stalk much?

man up, chow mein.

i'm tired of clicking on this forum only to find it stuffed full of your irrelevant off-topic propoganda.

this ain't CCTV-9. tell it to somebody who cares, cookie boy.

Edited by justashooter

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Timeline
i'm tired of clicking on this forum

Reported again.

Stop clicking on this forum or maybe the mods will help prevent you from doing so. This is VisaJourney.com > General Discussion Area > Regional Discussion > China, so if you don't like it then leave.

moving right along

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
show us your face, cookie boy.

Post reported. Stalk much?

man up, chow mein.

i'm tired of clicking on this forum only to find it stuffed full of your irrelevant off-topic propoganda.

this ain't CCTV-9. tell it to somebody who cares, cookie boy.

Let me extend a Final warning on this type of name calling. Fault is often found on both sides of the coin but personal attacks and name calling like this are not neccesary and certainly not what VJ is about.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline

so i guess i'll just have to start spamming this forum with negative stories about china.

this kind of thing should comply with terms of service if all the junk the man with no face posts is in compliance.

should be lots of material to work with.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

:thumbs:

so i guess i'll just have to start spamming this forum with negative stories about china.

this kind of thing should comply with terms of service if all the junk the man with no face posts is in compliance.

should be lots of material to work with.

China has both sides of coin, tell them all, man!

Timeline
China has both sides of coin, tell them all, man!
Just like everywhere. Throwing stones when you live in a glass house is not wise, period.

BTW, got a couple Zhu Zhu pets for Xmas!

moving right along

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.