SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you Rito, wedding is already on the 29th Aug, but nothing for travel booked until i get that K1 in my hand. Hopefully i'll get the interview in good time, i hope the notarization really isn't required.

Just popping in to say good luck to 2010 applicants. This time last year I was getting ready for my interview in May. I remember all of the worries and anxiety (though it didn't kick in until the night before). DON'T STRESS. Everything is quick (once you get to the windows) and painless. SOO EXCITED FOR YOU ALL. You'll soon be on the other side. :D

A quick question for you guys. On the readiness checklist one of the items requested is a "notarized statement." We're both in the UK at the moment so we took our statements around to a family friend who is a solicitor (lawyer) and he witnessed our signing them and wrote a brief statement at the bottom and then signed himself. He is not a notary public though. Are they very picky about this at the embassy? Do you think a solicitor witnessing is adequate or do we need to find ourselves a notary public somewhere? Thanks!

I took that to mean that we should just submit new statements of intent that we had signed (notarized). Is that not the case?

Here's what I think. In a normal everyday K1 case in London, there is nothing that needs to be notarized for the interview. They don't ask to see an updated letter of intent. If you were interviewing in Manila or somewhere like that, then maybe so. They would tell you to do that on the London website if it was an important thing to bring. It's not in the list of instructions where they detail applying for the visa and attending the interview.

Here are a few things that might call for a statement sworn before a notary public or other official competent to administer an oath:

• You're taking a child out of the UK. The other biological parent can submit a sworn statement, notarized or whatever you want to call it to show they are aware that the child is moving to the US and they give their permission/approval.
  • You were born in Pakistan and there is no birth certificate available. You're mother can submit a sworn statement testifying to the details of the birth. Mother deceased? Father is next in line. Father deceased? Another relative old enough to know the details of the birth.
  • You prefer a DIY Affidavit of Support instead of the I-134. (Yes, that is allowed.) Sponsors can submit a sworn affidavit detailing a bunch of stuff London lists that must be included in the statement. It's much easier to fill out the I-134 than get your sworn statement complete.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Seems like they're almost a law unto their own, but if it's easier, i'm all for it ;)

The only think i'd "contradict" that with, is that the IV15 readiness form states "Notarized Statement" Does this still count?

Seems like they're almost a law unto their own, but if it's easier, i'm all for it ;)

The only think i'd "contradict" that with, is that the IV15 readiness form states "Notarized Statement" Does this still count?

Notarized statement if applicable to you for something like the three bullet points above. Not everything on the checklist applies to everybody. Are you worrying about how to get some military records to bring since you weren't in the military? Are you going to bring prison records because it's on the checklist even if you haven't even been arrested? I was only trying to explain my opinion on the reason notarized statement is on the checklist and gave 3 examples of when someone might need a notarized statement. My opinion is most couples will not need to worry about a notary, but each is free to choose their own preparation and level of worry.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Aha! :) Thank you very much, yes you're obviously completely correct about the other points. I think perhaps because a notarized statement would technically be possible, that i needed to get one.

So, for the i-135, my fiancee is filling it in, even though we have a full joint sponsor. Specifically for our joint sponsor; we have the employers proof etc. seems that the next best piece of evidence would be the tax return, which is stated to be notarized as well.

Is this the same as the letter just mentioned, or does it actually need to be notarized?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My God! this place is fantastic, thank you so much :) I'm assuming that the two pieces of evidence are enough for the i-135?

We didn't need any notarized statements at all for our I-134, just make sure that you have all your tax information for you and any possible joint sponsor. I also got a letter from my bank, which was a pain in the butt, and letters from my employers to match my pay stub. Just to make sure to cover all areas, I felt it was always better to have more than enough info than not enough. :)

Michelle and James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/12/09 - Filed petition

9/16/09 - Check cashed

9/21/09 - Received NOA1

12/21/09 - Received NOA2

1/6/10 - Case received at embassy in UK

2/8/10 - Sent packet 3 forms to embassy and checklist

3/5/10 - Received Interview date!

3/8/10 - medical appointment

4/7/10 - Interview---we are approved!

6/15/10 - James is set to move to Chicago

8/7/10 - Wedding!

Timeline

Just popping in to say good luck to 2010 applicants. This time last year I was getting ready for my interview in May. I remember all of the worries and anxiety (though it didn't kick in until the night before). DON'T STRESS. Everything is quick (once you get to the windows) and painless. SOO EXCITED FOR YOU ALL. You'll soon be on the other side. :D

That is really sweet of you. Much appreciated x

So, for the i-135, my fiancee is filling it in, even though we have a full joint sponsor. Specifically for our joint sponsor; we have the employers proof etc. seems that the next best piece of evidence would be the tax return, which is stated to be notarized as well.

Is this the same as the letter just mentioned, or does it actually need to be notarized?

Years ago tax returns were supposed to notarized and three years were required. That was dropped by the USCIS and DOS. Now it is no notary and only the one most recent year tax return. Unfortunately some of the webpages and visa help websites (and maybe a few form instructions) may not have cleaned up their language to reflect the change in policy. I'm 100% certain about no notary and only one year required for taxes. If you've got a slow year, but mega bucks on the two returns before that, you can choose to show those other two if you think it will help your case, but is absolutely not required.

Tax return is the most common and the person at the first window will say "where's your tax return?" just because that's what everybody brings. Keep in mind that it's not just the Form 1040, but any Schedule A, B, C, D....whatever that taxpayer has PLUS the Form W2 that employers send out in late January to show the sum of earnings for the tax year and the amount of taxes they held out. That's a complete return. OR tax transcripts (3 years at a time for free) can be ordered from the IRS by mail, phone, or fax. That's easy and you can skip the tax return with schedules and W2. A tax transcript is a stand alone document. Bear in mind that transcripts for 2009 might not be available right now since it's so close to the filing deadline. If the return was filed recently, it may not be in the system as a transcript yet.

And don't forget to download the separate instruction form for the I-134 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf Read it carefully. And also look at the actual I-134 form. At the beginning, your joint sponsor will fill in Question 1 where they tell if they were born in the USA, were naturalized, or perhaps a permanent resident. Your joint sponsor must provide a photocopy of a document proving whatever he answered in Q1. It can be a US birth certificate, US passport, green card, or naturalization certificate.

You'll need all of this again for AOS and the I-864, so make extra copies.

Again----DON'T notarize the employer letter, tax return or transcript or anything else unless you require a sworn statement about your birth or taking children out of the UK.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

That was so very very helpful, thank you very much for that.

So far, i will be taking with me; (is there a list somewhere of the things to take with you to the embassy?)

I-134 for fiancee and co sponsor.

tax transcripts for both.

birth cert for co sponsor

Letter from employer for co sponsor and school transcript for fiancee.

letter of intent (updated) from fiancee.

Timeline

That was so very very helpful, thank you very much for that.

So far, i will be taking with me; (is there a list somewhere of the things to take with you to the embassy?)

I-134 for fiancee and co sponsor.

tax transcripts for both.

birth cert for co sponsor

Letter from employer for co sponsor and school transcript for fiancee.

letter of intent (updated) from fiancee.

Also bring:

- birth certificate of UK citizen

- copy of the NOA2

- passport of UK citizen

- police certificate

- two color photographs of UK citizen

- £86 in cash

- a credit card to pay for the £14.20 courier fee

- a book to read (long wait)

£86 in cash? why cash?

To pay for the actual visa. I'm not sure if this amount varies though. I did read that it can change according to the exchange rate. Maybe someone who has had their interview already could clarify?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.