SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

Documents wise, I'll tell you what we had and what they took from me.

I had:

- The affidavit of support

- 6 months of bank statements

- Letters from fiance's employers showing that she worked for them

- 2006/2009 tax returns showing both jobs on recent ones to prove she met income requirements

- Cards, letters of proof of relationship

- Photocopies of her passport showing UK entry, photocopies of hotel bills and her engagement ring receipt

- Photographs from my two trips to the US and her trip to England

- Updated fiance letter of intent. My previous one expired in January so when I was there over Christmas we drafted a new letter that was stamped by a witness, as required

I'm sure there was more that I'm forgetting, but you can imagine the paperwork, right?

What they took from me:

- 2008 tax return

- Triplicate signed affidavit of support

They didn't take anything else from me. No proof of ongoing relationship, updated letter of intent... Nothing. That was a bit frustrating indeed.

However, I am glad that my visa was approved!

Woohoo!!! Called the NVC - our case is on its way to London :)

Next question - how do I find out if the Embassy has got it? I'm 99% sure you're going to say extortion line....but worth an ask ;)

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Woohoo!!! Called the NVC - our case is on its way to London :)

Next question - how do I find out if the Embassy has got it? I'm 99% sure you're going to say extortion line....but worth an ask ;)

No. You can call the Dept. of State and they can give you updates on whether or not the petition is at the embassy, if Packets 3 and 4 have been sent, etc.

31 hours! I'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning, I'm sure that will help distract me :) David has actually never had any cavities so maybe that British stereotype not so true?

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
31 hours! I'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning, I'm sure that will help distract me :) David has actually never had any cavities so maybe that British stereotype not so true?

LOL! That would be the "great shoes, terrible teeth!" stereotype! The terrible teeth bit is true, it's the great shoes bit which isn't! That's the Italians.

Now, to less of a laughing matter. That packet 3. A number of folk are talking about sending the completed forms to the embassy (when it is confirmed by DOS that the embassy have logged the petition) before receiving the letter from the embassy. I have read a VJ post ages ago from someone who advised doing this.

Can any of our beloved gurus let me know what ya all think about doing this?

And, if we are doing this, what answer do we put to the question on the checklist "date of medical"?

Grateful for any input here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You shouldn't send the response to P3 until you know the Embassy has sent P3 to you. Having it logged and them sending you P3 are 2 different things.

Thanks Julez, that's cleared up what was fast becoming an "urban myth"!

Definitely agree with Julez...

For medical exam date, you can only book them a month or two in advance, so when we sent our p3 docs off, he put down "January 2010" since he knew he would have it sometime then. Another word of advice is to not put your POE too far in the future, otherwise you might have a date in the summer like one of our past DCF'ers! David is doing some trips in April/May around the UK (doing the West Highland Way) and so we requested an interview from mid-Feb to mid-March in a written request.

11 more hours! Sorry everyone :) Dentist cancelled my appointment, so I went shopping...bad for the wallet! But it was wedding invitation stuff, so fairly necessary ;)

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks Julez, that's cleared up what was fast becoming an "urban myth"!

Somewhere on the London website is a note which says basically if you send in the paperwork off your own back before they have told you to, they will just bin it.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Definitely agree with Julez...

For medical exam date, you can only book them a month or two in advance, so when we sent our p3 docs off, he put down "January 2010" since he knew he would have it sometime then. Another word of advice is to not put your POE too far in the future, otherwise you might have a date in the summer like one of our past DCF'ers! David is doing some trips in April/May around the UK (doing the West Highland Way) and so we requested an interview from mid-Feb to mid-March in a written request.

11 more hours! Sorry everyone :) Dentist cancelled my appointment, so I went shopping...bad for the wallet! But it was wedding invitation stuff, so fairly necessary ;)

so is it ok to put an earlier poe/wedding date even if you *know* you're doing it later? Like we are getting married 27/11 and planning POE for last week of October but I'd quite like to get everything done and dusted by June...but equally is it bad to tell porky pies?

PS...good luck tomorrow :)

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
but equally is it bad to tell porky pies?

depends how guilty you feel afterward :innocent:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

haha, you know, I don't think it's a bad thing at all. After all, you've waited your turn in line, it's not like you're jumping ahead of other people! David's POE will be in June, but we didn't want to go to the interview in May with it being so late in case anything didn't go to plan or if we needed documents, etc.

As long as you know you will have to enter within the 6 months, I think you're okay. Besides, you might go in early anyway! I'm hoping to convince David too ;)

(10 hours!)

Naturalization

LOL! That would be the "great shoes, terrible teeth!" stereotype! The terrible teeth bit is true, it's the great shoes bit which isn't! That's the Italians.

Now, to less of a laughing matter. That packet 3. A number of folk are talking about sending the completed forms to the embassy (when it is confirmed by DOS that the embassy have logged the petition) before receiving the letter from the embassy. I have read a VJ post ages ago from someone who advised doing this.

Can any of our beloved gurus let me know what ya all think about doing this?

And, if we are doing this, what answer do we put to the question on the checklist "date of medical"?

Grateful for any input here.

If you call the Dept of State for status, they will tell you if P3 has been sent. If so, you can send your forms into the embassy.

We never did get a letter regarding P3, and didn't run into any problems doing it the way I described.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

so is it ok to put an earlier poe/wedding date even if you *know* you're doing it later? Like we are getting married 27/11 and planning POE for last week of October but I'd quite like to get everything done and dusted by June...but equally is it bad to tell porky pies?

PS...good luck tomorrow :)

I think you've got plenty of time to work with. You have to get married within 90 days of entering the country, so the earliest POE date would be in late August. You'll have your visa in plenty of time for that without "moving up" your wedding date.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.