antda

Ant's things to do after US Citizenship list....

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Ok, so now that I'm a US Citizen, here is a list of things that I have done so far....

"Ant's things to do after US Citizenship" list...

-2009-11-23: Received Naturalization Certificate (1/2 hour...the shortest time of all the things to do..go figure....)

No more USCIS! :dance:

-2009-11-24: Updated the Social Security Administration/SSN (1 hour)

They took a photocopy of my certificate....They updated my immigration/citizenship status...

As additional ideitification I also showed them my driver's license, they printed out my new updated SSN information, I signed for it....

They said they would send me a new card, even though I didn't need a new one, but they insisted anyways...so now I have 2 cards...lol....

2009-11-25: Updated the Social Services (1 hour)

They took a photocopy of my certificate....They updated my immigration/citizenship status...

-2009-11-25: Updated the DMV (1-2 hours...very busy day there)

They took a photocopy of my certificate, verified it with social security by phone...They updated my immigration/citizenship status..

I also applied for an NYS Enhanced Driver's License, which is good for cross-border land travel between the USA and Canada...valid for 8 yrs...

As well, for the EDL, they needed proof of residency, which I provided them with such.

I'm still waiting for the card..They said it would take 2 weeks to get such...

So hopefully I will get that soon, and be able to take a trip back to Canada before the holidays.

Meanwhile, I still have my valid non-enhanced driver's license...So it looks like I'll have 2 valid driver's licenses (non-enhanced and enhanced) too...lol....

-2009-11-25: Registered to Vote (at the DMV, with Driver's License)

-The application was at the bottom of the Enhanced Driver's License Application form...

I just checkmarked a few boxes at the bottom of the form

They said that I will get something in the mail from Voter's Registration confirming this. How long does it take for such?

Lol..Now, if only I can convince my husband to register to vote too...lol....(he's never voted before, despite being a USC....lol...)

-2009-12-03: Received new Social Security Card in the mail

Wow, that was quick! 9 days! (lol..wish the same thing happened when I got my first card...which took a lot longer than that....)

-2009-12-??: Expected to receive new EDL driver's license in the mail (maybe this week)

-In the future: Build a big bonfire in my backyard. Burn all useless paperwork I have gathered over the years in dealing with the USCIS...just kidding...but who knows....Might be theraputic in ways though...lol....;)

As for the US passport, at first I wanted to do such, but finally decided against it. I'm afraid that I they will lose my original certificate, which I paid so much and took so long to get. Sigh, why can't they be satisfied with a photocopy or certified/notarized copy, instead of the original, despite applying for a passport in-person? Surely they can trust an in-person application, right? Other agencies are ok with that, so what gives with the passport agency?

It's one thing to lose a $30 birth certificate, that can be replaced in a few weeks....It's another to lose a $400+ certificate of naturalization, that takes a few months to replace...Someone should complain about this...Seriously! Lol..Because of all this, I'm not taking that risk, and decided not to apply for a US Passport after all.

Anything else I need to do as US Citizen after naturalization? Can I put my US Citizenship Certificate away for good in a safe place after all this?

Is my list complete? Am I done yet? :wacko:

Any thoughts, ideas, etc. greatly appreciated too....

Ant (Am I done yet at a USC?....)

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

For quick passport, look up the nearest passport agency - we have one in Chicago (that's where they send all the people from O'Hare and Midway whose passports expired). Supposedly you can get your expedited passport there ($160) and you don't leave your certificate - just show it.

You do need a reason to book an appointment or walk-in but I'd think being a new citizen qualifies you.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/age...encies_913.html

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
and decided not to apply for a US Passport after all.

So apart from Canada, Mexico and a couple of other obscure places how are you ever going to leave the US. Personally I rather have a US passport which is more use and proves my citizenship than the certificate.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline
You do need a reason to book an appointment or walk-in but I'd think being a new citizen qualifies you.

You may make an appointment to be seen at a Passport Agency only if:

* You need a U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel

* You need a U.S. passport within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa.

Don't know if you are required to show proof of travel arrangements but it wouldn't surprise me if you do.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

I believe if you lose your certificate you can apply to get a new one, so I wouldnt worry about it to much and just get a US passport, it'll make life so much easier.

My fiance got his passport with his certificate and he got it back fine.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

I know you have your worries, but I would trust the feds on that one. I for one, I have never heard a horror story of a lost certificate. One question though, Why does the DMV need to know your change in status? We didn't tell them when he became a permanent resident. Does the Dmv have the power to deport us over unpaid parking tickets? :)

November 8, 2004-Submitted AOS application

December 10, 2004-Application returned

December 31, 2004-Resubmitted application

February 28, 2005-Notice of Reciept

March 28, 2005-Appointment to pick up EAD

April 16, 2005-Fingerprinting

April 27, 2005-Interview in Sacramento-A Success!!

August 20, 2009 Mailed application for citizenship to Phoenix

August 25, 2009 Recd package in Phoenix

August 28, 2009 Date of NOA

September 1, 2009 Check Cashed

September 22, 2009 Appointment for fingerprinting

October 9, 2009 NOA of Interview

November 23, 2009 Interview date-A success

December 16, 2009-Oath at 8:30AM Merry Christmas!!!!!

Timeline
Why does the DMV need to know your change in status?

It doesn't unless they are quirks in some States that require such.

Edited by Lansbury

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies. Written below are my replies to your replies :) :

Milimelo-Thanks for the link about the passport agency and about applying in-person there. Unfortunately, the nearest passport agencies to where I am (New York City and Philly) are too far away (about 5-10 hours or so by car, and the other locations are even more far away) for me to get there now. However, if I do go into those areas in the future, I could possibly consider such applying in-person, as that would definitely solve the problem about not having to worry about losing the certificate, if I get it back the same day....Hmmm...apply in-person and spend $400 in travel expenses to apply in-person, or send it in the mail, and risk it gettting lost for another $400 replacement...lol...same way cost-wise.....Though on the plus side, if I apply in-person, at least I spend the money and get some sort of fun trip out of it too, and not worry about a lost certificate...NYC and Philly I go?

For quick passport, look up the nearest passport agency - we have one in Chicago (that's where they send all the people from O'Hare and Midway whose passports expired). Supposedly you can get your expedited passport there ($160) and you don't leave your certificate - just show it.

Lansbury-Lol....If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would travel with world.....I admit, I've had dreams about going to England someday too. Oh the beautiful English countryside!....Wishful thinking....Unforutnately, my family and I can't afford much..(heck, we're still trying to pay off the $2000+ in USCIS application expenses racked up over the years...that's another story), and the only places we can travel for now is the USA and Canada, which are pretty close and is something that we can afford. Besides, we like road trips, so we don't see that as a bad thing at all. So until I win the lottery...then yes, I'm stuck in the USA and Canada, which is ok with us for now, as there is so much to see here still. I agree, I think that a US passport is better and more practical to use to prove US Citizenship than the citizenship certificate. Besides, one isn't really supposed to carry the original certificate with them anyways. If only they would make the passport application process easier for naturalized citizens with certificates, that would solve half my problems there about the US passport...US Passport: Negatives: Possibly losing a US Naturalization certificate during the application process, Having my former country of birth (not Canada) stated, Cannot apply at a passport agency office (too far away)....Positives: It is valid for 10 years, A passport card which is more convenient and less expensive option ($45+photos) is available too for land/sea travel...Outweighing the options here....Ultimately, I'll see later on down the road as to whether or not I apply for one though (especially if they I do win the lottery...then it's the passport book and a trip to England for me...lol...)...

So apart from Canada, Mexico and a couple of other obscure places how are you ever going to leave the US. Personally I rather have a US passport which is more use and proves my citizenship than the certificate.

Lansbury-Don't think I can prove any travel arrangements for spur-of-the-moment road trips to Canada that I take with my own vehicle, and to a country where I don't need a visa for. Out of luck there for an appointment....I wonder if they accept walk-ins too, if I happen to be in the area for a passport agency? And if I do a walk-in, can they give me back the certificate the same day?

Don't know if you are required to show proof of travel arrangements but it wouldn't surprise me if you do.

Rhiann-Yes, I can get a replacement for a lost citizenship certificate...For an additonal $400+ and gosh knows how many months of waiting and still dealing with the USCIS! Lol...I don't think that is an option for me cost-wise and time-wise. Glad that your fiance got his certificate and passport, without any problems, and yes, that happens to most people with no problems. I on the other hand...oh boy...not sure if I'll have the same kind of luck. Add to the fact too, that the USPS has messed up my mail before and my mailbox is more than a mile away that I don't check too often...not good.....I agree though, that the US passport does make life easier, as I think that a US passport is better and more practical to use to prove US Citizenship than the citizenship certificate. Besides, one isn't really supposed to carry the original certificate with them anyways. If only they would make the passport application process easier for naturalized citizens with certificates, that would solve half my problems there about the US passport...

I believe if you lose your certificate you can apply to get a new one, so I wouldnt worry about it to much and just get a US passport, it'll make life so much easier.

Elishav-There is no need to update the DMV about one's immigration change in status. I had to update the DMV though, as I wanted an Enhanced Driver's License (which is a travel document, good for land/sea travel between Canada and the USA), and they are the only ones that offer such. As well, they offered to do the voter's registration too...So "killed two birds with one stone" on the same day at the DMV! Each state is different though, so if your state doesn't have an enhanced driver's license option, and/or you do not want such, then there is no need to update the DMV. And voter's registration can be done separately, so no need to go to the DMV for tha either. Nothing to do with parking tickets or any tickets at all...lol....(and unpaid tickets aren't grounds for deporation anyways...lol...), so no worries there about updating the DMV...unless you want to.....

As for trusting the feds...that's a tough one for me....Have had positive and negative experiences with them, especially with the USCIS....then there is the USPS....Have passports and naturalization certificates been lost before...yes....Does it happen to everyone...no...But can it happen to me....possibly....I don't know either way, but I do know that I have to outweigh the overall pros/cons of applying for a US passport, before I decide....For now, it's a no....but who knows later on down the road...lol....(especially if I ever win the lottery...wishful thinking..lol...)....

Oh and for horror stories, you might want to check this vj thread out....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...5372&st=120 (babonsi's post...)

It does happen...even to us vjers, who at times know better than the feds... :blink:

I know you have your worries, but I would trust the feds on that one. I for one, I have never heard a horror story of a lost certificate. One question though, Why does the DMV need to know your change in status? We didn't tell them when he became a permanent resident. Does the Dmv have the power to deport us over unpaid parking tickets? :)

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies. Written below are my replies to your replies :) :

Milimelo-Thanks for the link about the passport agency and about applying in-person there. Unfortunately, the nearest passport agencies to where I am (New York City and Philly) are too far away (about 5-10 hours or so by car, and the other locations are even more far away) for me to get there now. However, if I do go into those areas in the future, I could possibly consider such applying in-person, as that would definitely solve the problem about not having to worry about losing the certificate, if I get it back the same day....Hmmm...apply in-person and spend $400 in travel expenses to apply in-person, or send it in the mail, and risk it gettting lost for another $400 replacement...lol...same way cost-wise.....Though on the plus side, if I apply in-person, at least I spend the money and get some sort of fun trip out of it too, and not worry about a lost certificate...NYC and Philly I go?

Lansbury-Lol....If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would travel the world.....I admit, I've had dreams about going to England someday too. Oh the beautiful English countryside!....Wishful thinking....Unforutnately, my family and I can't afford much now..(heck, we're still trying to pay off the $2000+ in USCIS application expenses racked up over the years...that's another story), and the only places we can travel for now is the USA and Canada, which are pretty close and is something that we can afford. Besides, we like road trips, so we don't see that as a bad thing at all. So until I win the lottery...then yes, I'm stuck in the USA and Canada, which is ok with us for now, as there is so much to see here still anyways. I agree, I think that a US passport is better and more practical to use to prove US Citizenship than the citizenship certificate. Besides, one isn't really supposed to carry the original certificate with them anyways. If only they would make the passport application process easier for naturalized citizens with certificates, that would solve half my problems there about the US passport...US Passport: Negatives: Possibly losing a US Naturalization certificate during the application process, Having my former country of birth (not Canada) stated, Cannot apply at a passport agency office (too far away)....Positives: It is valid for 10 years, A passport card which is more convenient and less expensive option ($45+photos) is available too for land/sea travel...Outweighing the pros and cons here....Ultimately, I'll see later on down the road as to whether or not I apply for one though (especially if they I do win the lottery...then it's the passport book and a trip to England for me...lol...)...

Lansbury-Don't think I can prove any travel arrangements for spur-of-the-moment road trips to Canada that I take with my own vehicle, and to a country where I don't need a visa for. Out of luck there for an appointment....I wonder if they accept walk-ins too, if I happen to be in the area for a passport agency? And if I do a walk-in, can they give me back the certificate the same day?

Rhiann-Yes, I can get a replacement for a lost citizenship certificate...For an additonal $400+ and gosh knows how many months of waiting and still dealing with the USCIS! Lol...I don't think that is an option for me cost-wise and time-wise. Glad that your fiance got his certificate and passport, without any problems, and yes, that happens to most people with no problems. I on the other hand...oh boy...not sure if I'll have the same kind of luck. Add to the fact too, that the USPS has messed up my mail before and my mailbox is more than a mile away...not good.....I agree though, that the US passport does make life easier, as I think that a US passport is better and more practical to use to prove US Citizenship than the citizenship certificate. Besides, one isn't really supposed to carry the original certificate with them anyways. If only they would make the passport application process easier for naturalized citizens with certificates, that would solve half my problems there about the US passport...

Elishav-There is no need to update the DMV about one's immigration change in status. I had to update the DMV though, as I wanted an Enhanced Driver's License (which is a travel document, good for land/sea travel between Canada and the USA), and they are the only ones that offer such. As well, they offered to do the voter's registration too...So "killed two birds with one stone" on the same day at the DMV! Each state is different though, so if your state doesn't have an enhanced driver's license option, and/or you do not want such, then there is no need to update the DMV. And voter's registration can be done separately, so no need to go to the DMV for tha either. Nothing to do with parking tickets or any tickets at all...lol....(and unpaid tickets aren't grounds for deporation anyways...lol...), so no worries there about updating the DMV...unless you want to.....

As for trusting the feds...that's a tough one for me....Have had positive and negative experiences with them, especially with the USCIS....then there is the USPS....Have passports and naturalization certificates been lost before...yes....Does it happen to everyone...no...But can it happen to me....possibly....I don't know either way, but I do know that I have to outweigh the overall pros/cons of applying for a US passport, before I decide....For now, it's a no....but who knows later on down the road...lol....(especially if I ever win the lottery...wishful thinking..lol...)....

Oh and for horror stories, you might want to check this vj thread out....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...5372&st=120

It does happen...even to us vjers, who at times know better than the feds... :blink:

Ant

Filed: Timeline
Milimelo-Thanks for the link about the passport agency and about applying in-person there. Unfortunately, the nearest passport agencies to where I am (New York City and Philly) are too far away (about 5-10 hours or so by car, and the other locations are even more far away) for me to get there now.

Where to Apply for a Passport

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ant, until you decide you would like a passport you're done. Congratulations. I'll be updating DMV when I renew my DL which won't be for 2 more years. My voter's registration card took about 6 weeks to arrive but I could check on line and the registration showed up on the list shortly after I sent in my registration.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I really didn't understand what you meant by Social Services, were we suppose to do that to?

Wisconsin is also tough on illegals and LPR card holders, noting in particular, the expiration date. Getting the USCIS off my wife's back was equally beneficial to us to also get the DMV off her back. Kind of a state dependent thing.

I was under the impression you also had to show proof of US citizenship to get that wallet sized Canadian passcard thingy, but maybe I should check again. You certainly want a US passport if you have relatives living in countries where that passport is required to get back in, but millions of US citizens do not have passports. I know a lot of people that have never left Chicago, they fear running into lions and tigers if they do.

Really never ran across anyone where the DOS loses your certificate, you would certainly have proof that you sent it, but they certainly do not have proof they sent it back.

More Replies.....

Krikit-Thanks for the link. Yes, I did check that out, and found out that I could apply at a post office, only a few miles from where I live. The problem there, is that they would still require my original naturalization certificate to be sent in to the DOS, which could possibly be lost in the mail when they send it back to me when I get my passport in the mail. The only solution, for the certificate as Milimelo pointed out, is to go to the nearest passport agency and apply there, and get my certificate returned the same day, and not having to worry about it being lost. Unfortunately, the nearest passport agencies to where I am (New York City and Philly) are too far away (about 5-10 hours or so by car, and the other locations are even more far away) for me to get there now. However, if I do go into those areas in the future, I could possibly consider such applying in-person.

Funny though, how it is easier for me to apply in-person for a Canadian passport (which is about 1-2 hours away) than it is to apply in-person for a US passport (which is about 5-10 hours away)...lol......

Kathryn41-Thanks for the congrats. I agree, I guess until I apply for a US passport, then I will be done. Lol..Though to this day, my husband, my son, and me, as all three of us are US Citizens...We have no US Passports...And don't plan on getting one anytime soon.....So yeah, we're US passport-less here......Just Birth Certificates, Naturalization Certificates, and EDLs. will do for us for now to prove US Citizenship and for land travel back to Canada (unless they change the rules again,..lol...).....So we'll see who in my family gets their US passport first....(I'm placing my bet on our baby...lol...)

Thanks too, for the info about the voter's registration card. Wow...6 weeks is awhile to wait, though that's more than enough time and no hurry for that, as the next election won't be until Novemeber of 2010. Lol..Speaking of which, my husband the USC, still hasn't registered to vote either....I guess I beat him to that one...lol....Will try to convince him of such before November too..lol....

By the way, I checked online, like you suggested, for the voter's registration, here:

https://voterlookup.elections.state.ny.us/votersearch.aspx

and it still doesn't show up that I had registered. Maybe they are backlogged? Or are having problems with my registration (different addresses for mailing and residence)? Oh well, it's only been 2 weeks so far, so it could be too soon for them to update their systems too. Though if I don't hear from them within 6 weeks...I will definitely be contacting them....

Ant, until you decide you would like a passport you're done. Congratulations. I'll be updating DMV when I renew my DL which won't be for 2 more years. My voter's registration card took about 6 weeks to arrive but I could check on line and the registration showed up on the list shortly after I sent in my registration.

NickD-There is no need to update social services about one's immigration change in status. I had to update social services though, as our family had a HEAP (heat energy assistance program) case, my son had a WIC (women infants children) case with them, and they required such information as to who is a USC or not. Lol....Oh well, better safe than sorry....Don't want to lose our heating in the winter or food for the baby, because I didn't update such. I agree, it depends on each state, as to how tough they are on immigrants, and what to report/not to report to them. For my driver's license here in NYS, for example, they gave me one that was valid for 4 years even though my first green card was valid for only 2 years. Lol..Guess I could have been illegal and still drove. For other states though, I've heard that expiry dates on drivers licenses are only valid up to the green card dates, so yeah, it would be important then, to get the DMV off one's back....

Lol..There is no wallet sized Canadian passpard thingy (I wish the did have such though, as it is more convenient than carrying around a Canadian passport book for land travel). There is though, a US passport card, or an US enhanced driver's license, which are both cards, and are convenient to carry, and do show US Citizenship for land/sea travel. Lol..I do my travelling by land between the USA and Canada (where my relatives and some friends are), so no need for visiting overseas, unless I want to (lol..and who knows, maybe I'll find my distant relatives there too....).

Lol...Likewise, my husband (who was born in the USA) is one of those millions of USCs that don't have their passports, so I guess that is normal there....

He just travelled with a driver's license, birth certificate..and no problem....between USA and Canada...so likewise, he has no use for passport either...

Guess we don't travel much....Besides, it's getting way too expensive to travel overseas...Now if we won the lottery...that's another story...lol....

True, there is proof that the DOS sent the naturalization certificate...as for if they will return it back...who knows....No proof there, I agree...

So it can get lost in the mail....With no way of knowing....And yes, it does happen (see vj post link above about that)......

If only they would find some other more secure way of sending such back.....Even something as simple as a tracking number would help, like they do for the passport...but not for the naturalization certificate (which costs more and is harder to replace)....boggles me....

I really didn't understand what you meant by Social Services, were we suppose to do that to?

Wisconsin is also tough on illegals and LPR card holders, noting in particular, the expiration date. Getting the USCIS off my wife's back was equally beneficial to us to also get the DMV off her back. Kind of a state dependent thing.

I was under the impression you also had to show proof of US citizenship to get that wallet sized Canadian passcard thingy, but maybe I should check again. You certainly want a US passport if you have relatives living in countries where that passport is required to get back in, but millions of US citizens do not have passports. I know a lot of people that have never left Chicago, they fear running into lions and tigers if they do.

Really never ran across anyone where the DOS loses your certificate, you would certainly have proof that you sent it, but they certainly do not have proof they sent it back.

Ant

NickD-I agree, the border has changed over the years. For example, it was only this year that they changed the rules, that more than a driver's license, birth certificate or naturalization certificate is required for USCs to go to Canada and come back to the USA. Oh well. On the bright side: Here in New York State, they offered something called an "Enhanced Driver's License", which is a driver's license only for US Citizens, but with an extra barcode on it (like the green card barcode), which is good for land travel between the USA and Canada. So, yeah, with the "walllet thingy" (lol..gotta love that name you mentioned) I can come home to the USA, as a US Citzen, with the EDL, with no problems.....(and going to Canada, I will use my Canadian passport, but I cannot enter the USA with that..)

Funny though, how it only takes 2 weeks for an Enhanced Driver's License

And it takes 10 months (in my case) for a 10yr Green Card

Both have the same barcode, both are good for travel...

Lol..If the NYS DMV ran the USCIS....Things would sure be a lot more faster and efficient, indeed!

Ant

Still don't know how you are going to come back to the USA Ant, without a US passport or that wallet thingy. Can't believe how that border has been changed over the last couple of years. Maybe you can come back with some kind of a Canadian passport, but do not believe you are suppose to do that as a USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I wasn't aware of the state driver's license barcode thingy. Must be a special arrangement between the country of New York and the country of Canada, apparently Wisconsin is not on good terms with Canada. but I don't know why, the border runs right down the middle of Lake Superior, that "fence" should make for good neighbors.

You are very correct that the relationships between Canada and the USA have changed, but not in the last few years, more like the last few months. We did fly into Toronto last November without incident, the Canadians were very nice. But coming back to the USA was darn right miserable, I lost my cool and blew my stack and made quite a scene, really embarrassed my dear sweet wife. She was very surprised I wasn't arrested, but losing yet another freedom was too much for me, especially from this country that expected me to lay down my life for it.

I did make a firm promise that I will never behave like that again and act like dumb stupid sheep like my fellow Americans are. And that is exactly how they behaved. Did entertain a lot of them and a few even came up to me and said they wish they had the courage to speak up for their rights. But I was always very very nice to the USCIS. I knew they had my spheres in a vise. Can only wonder why they make you learn the US Constitution when they don't practiced it themselves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.