keneisha

Immigration lawyer vs. Doing it yourself

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
Hi, I am just starting to get my paper work together to bring my fiance to the states. I have been trying to get as much information as possible before I start the process next month. I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on getting an immigration lawyer. If so, is it better to get a lawyer to help you with the process or do it yourself, or is it about the same? If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I think that unless your cases has some unusual details to it to complicate matters -- like your fiance' overstayed a visa and lived in the US illegally, or one of you is technically married to someone else or something -- you can do it alone. Just follow the instructions on the forms and on VJ and you will be fine!

Question: Is your fiance' going to have his interview in Naples, Italy? My fiance' just won his visa at Naples on July 11th, so if you need any advice or any help dealing with them when the time comes and your case gets transfered there for the interview, feel free to contact me :yes::thumbs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you file your own income taxes and there is nothing out of the ordinary involved, i.e. criminal record, previous visa overstay, you should be able do it.

I filed or helped file every piece of paper from I-129F to N-400/N-600 for wife and daughter and never had a problem because of something I did.

If you feel shakey about doing it and have money to blow hire a lawyer. Otherwise, printout the forms, READ the instructions, ask questions when not sure of something and you should be OK.

Well, I owe back taxes on previous year's taxes. I was also wondering if it would be a sticky situation since I filed once before. There was nothing wrong on my end. I am wondering if I can do it all by myself. What u guys think?

Filed: Timeline

If you file your own income taxes and there is nothing out of the ordinary involved, i.e. criminal record, previous visa overstay, you should be able do it.

I filed or helped file every piece of paper from I-129F to N-400/N-600 for wife and daughter and never had a problem because of something I did.

If you feel shakey about doing it and have money to blow hire a lawyer. Otherwise, printout the forms, READ the instructions, ask questions when not sure of something and you should be OK.

Well, I owe back taxes on previous year's taxes. I was also wondering if it would be a sticky situation since I filed once before. There was nothing wrong on my end. I am wondering if I can do it all by myself. What u guys think?

I don't know if you misunderstood what I was saying or not, but I meant that the paper work is no more complicated than doing your taxes.

If you feel shakey about doing it and have money to blow hire a lawyer.

Edited by mdyoung

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I agree. If you have a simple case, you probably wont need a lawyer. I didn't use one, but my case was very simple, we're both single, no prior marriages, we're 9 months apart, no children, grew up in the same country

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think you can do it yourself there are a lot of wonderful VJers that can help you out. I have been collecting info since December and am finally applying this August. I went to my congressmans office and he checked over my paper work for free. That helped. There were somthings he couldn't answer and I got all the answers here. Save your money and make great contacts here. There is a wealth of info here to read. Best wishes on your journey. :D

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would do it yourself. I did, and in the beginning I was all freaked about all the stuff but in the end it was very easy, stressful of course, but I like knowing I did it. I guess I trust myself more than I trust a lawyer. I asked lots of questions, but got through everything with no problems. Good luck!

I try not to comment on the lawyer *chokes on the word* threads. But you asked for opinions and I have one. Our $2,000 lawyer sent our K3 to the wrong place and it was 7 months later before it was in the correct place. He also caused 2 RFE's that might not have happened if I had filed the paperwork myself.

If I had it to do over again, I would have protected my petiton and taken better care of it. His delays costed us 1 extra year of being apart.

Jackie

Good luck in your journey!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I try not to comment on the lawyer *chokes on the word* threads. But you asked for opinions and I have one. Our $2,000 lawyer sent our K3 to the wrong place and it was 7 months later before it was in the correct place. He also caused 2 RFE's that might not have happened if I had filed the paperwork myself.

If I had it to do over again, I would have protected my petiton and taken better care of it. His delays costed us 1 extra year of being apart.

Jackie

Good luck in your journey!

WOW!!! -- that IS sad !!! --- I wish you the best now, I hope that you are in the correct course.

You know the old adage and how it goes: "It you want some thing done RIGHT, you have to do it YOURSELF!!!!

you know for that blunder, the damn attorney SHOULD give you a refund back, lolz -- know that they wont the greedy buggers!!! -- hahahahha

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Download a copy of the forms and decide if you smart enough to fill them out. Like name, address, copy of this and a copy of that. If you cant do that by yourself, then you will need a lawyer to fill out a job application form which are much more complicated and require more original writning than any IRS form that Ive ever seen.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

The boyfriend and I, when we file (probably September), are not planning to consult with an attorney. He's from Canada, we're both single and never married, we didn't use a marriage broker, and we've only a three year age difference.

I don't expect that a lawyer would be helpful. It's just paperwork; I applied to graduate school and jobs on my own.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I too am just starting out, and I have found advice on this forum invaluable. I asked a similar question and got similar responses. My plan is to put everything together first, then have a lawyer check them over, but do everything else myself. Something that is helping me is downloading the forms and the examples (from this website) and then making a list of everythin that I still need.

Good luck!!!

Marie Boothe & Dermot O'Mahony

January 2005: Met in Church

March 2006: Dermot's first visit to the AZ desert!

June 2006: I'm back in Ireland

23 July 2006: Engaged!

2 August: Back in Arizona without Dermot

15 August: NOA1 receipt in mail

4 October: wishing and hoping

12 October: visit to Ireland and my fiance

16 October: touched! someone did something

with our case! no change in status though.

2 November: NOA2!!!

1 February: Dermot is back in the good old USA

10 March: Married at last! - no more goodbyes

31 March: AOS mailed

3 May: I-485, Request for Initial Evidence recieved.

20 May: RIE mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lawyers are a waste of money unless you have extreme circumstances that will cause you problems down the road.

Also i dont suggest using a visa service either because these services arent accountable to anyone.

If they mess you up and cause you denial or delays you have no avenue to get anything done about it.

Also from what i understand on the USCIS site its against the law for anyone other than a licensed lawyer or an accredited agency to file for you.

Edited by gobdogman

phili.gifflorida.gif

Cheap long distance---> http://www.talkloop.com/ref/ref.aspx?l=D145D6D060D5688 FREE $2.50 credit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh my, even if you have a criminal background, medical circumstances, or any other type of situation, I personally feel you can do the entire process without a lawyer. These types of forums make it possible. A lawyer may know a lot, but they also charge you for it, and they for sure take longer than it would for you to do it yourself. Save your self money, join an online immigration forum. If you happen to come across something that you can't find the solution to in a forum Then Click Here

Edited by waiting4visas

5.26.23: Wedding

6.24.23: I-130

8.21.24: NVC

vartan,

Thing is, these kinds of issues are but a few of the many issues that can cause problems with a case.

TomYu had the right idea - have a consultation with an attorney up-front to review all of the details of the case, then decide whether or not to retain an attorney to work on the case with you or to go it alone.

Yodrak

Yeah its hard to say .. this site can give you all the answers you need for a perfect petition .. but if you have any extenuating circumstancings such as criminal history, medical issues, etc a lawyer might be a good bet..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.