LeprechaunSean

How long to SSN after montreal interview?

8 posts in this topic

I know that the SSN card comes after about a month or so, I'm just wondering if there is a way to find out what the number is sooner so I can apply for my sons passport. Not sure where to look.

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not that I know of. After she has crossed into the US, if she doesn't get the card soon you can probably go to the SSA office near you and they might be able to help you out.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I know that the SSN card comes after about a month or so, I'm just wondering if there is a way to find out what the number is sooner so I can apply for my sons passport. Not sure where to look.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that after you arrive in the US, your SSN may come in the mail approximately 6 weeks after entry. People have been advised, that if it doesn't, then you can go to your local office.

carlahmsb4.gif

Here's a silly question: does it come automatically, or do you have to apply for it once you're in the states??

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Here's a silly question: does it come automatically, or do you have to apply for it once you're in the states??

It depends on which type of visa you enter the USA on. If it is a K1 then you need to apply once you are in the USA. If it is a K3 then you need to file for EAD once in the USA and once you have that you can apply for a SSN. If you are entering the USA on a CR1/IR1 or any of the other immigrant visa's and you checked the box on the DS230 then a SSN should be sent to you within 6 weeks of entry. If it has not arrived within the first 3 weeks go to the SSA office and find out if one has been issued to you and if not then apply for your SSN while you are there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With a DCF'er or a CR-1 or IR-1, if u checked the box off on the DS-230, it "should" come in the mail automatically in about 2-4 weeks! BUT often it does NOT show up!! SO, after 10 - 14 BUSINESS days, one can goto the local SSN office and inquire about the status of ur SSN! IF by then it is not in the system, you can apply again. One can download the form at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html

Best to be prepared and take it to the office already filled out. As well ensure you take ur passport with the visa in it!! I had to go that route, and the SSN showed up a week after applying for it at the office

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

With a DCF'er or a CR-1 or IR-1, if u checked the box off on the DS-230, it "should" come in the mail automatically in about 2-4 weeks! BUT often it does NOT show up!! SO, after 10 - 14 BUSINESS days, one can goto the local SSN office and inquire about the status of ur SSN! IF by then it is not in the system, you can apply again. One can download the form at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html

Best to be prepared and take it to the office already filled out. As well ensure you take ur passport with the visa in it!! I had to go that route, and the SSN showed up a week after applying for it at the office

I checked the box for both my wife and son, so I guess I just have to wait :angry: soooo tired of waiting....

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wait 2 weeks then head to the office! get their early as it tends to be a busy place!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.