Peachey

Holiday Recipe Thread

131 posts in this topic

I made this tonight for my staff xmas party, I based it off a recipe, but pretty much just used what I had in my pantry:

White Chocolate Party mix

1 lb salted peanuts

4 cups chex

10 oz pretzels

M&Ms (red and green)

24 oz white chocolae

3 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix peanuts, cereal, pretzels and M&Ms in large bowl.

In seperate bowl melt white chocolate and vegetable oil together in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, if not melted, put back in microwave for 10 second intervals until smooth.

Pour white chocolate over cereal mix and toss to coat every piece.

Spread mix on wax paper and let cool. Once cool, break into pieces and store in air tight container.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so I got 3 batches of cookies baked from my list.. only like 10 or so more to go :P.. now I am going to head to bed for a few hours and maybe when the hubster gets home I will make some chocolates or something...

I also have the whole day tomorrow at work to bake too..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tomorrow is my baking day too. Every other day leading up to now has been too full or too scattered to settle down to do some baking. All of the Christmas gifts for family in Canada and Texas were shipped off today, so I just have to wrap Joe's and I'm done. I have to take 2 of the cats to the vets tomorrow for their annual checkups and rabies vaccinations - and since I like to keep an eye on them afterwards in case of any adverse reactions (two of them are deathly allergic to vaccinations and require pre-treatment of which one of them is getting his rabies vaccination tomorrow), I'll be home during the day and able to bake. Cherry Surprises, Nanaimo bars, Nana's Shortbread and Buttertart Squares coming up. I'll probably bake some bread too in the bread machine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

it should be interesting to see how much baking I can get done tomorrow because I also have to take care of 2 little boys.. the mom is going to try and come home early though to help with the boys... the 4 year old will also want to help me which should be fun ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I finished my baking yesterday. Took me 5 hours to complete it. I always send a huge tray to Gene's work, something for the neighbours, another tray for my Bridge group. I thought about what I made that was different than what was posted here, and there is three Christmas things I make that aren't on here, so I'll post them in case someone hasn't finished their baking.

Sweet Marie Bars

1/2 c. peanut butter

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. corn syrup

1 tbsp. butterBring ingredients to a boil.2 1/2 c. Rice Krispies

1/2 c. peanuts (optional)Mix and pat in 8 x 8 inch pan. Top with chocolate icing. I use just melted 1 cup of semi-sweet chips.

Andres Peppermint Crunchies

1 cup unsalted Butter, softened

1 cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed

1/3 cup granulated Sugar

1 large Egg

2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1 3/4 cups Flour

1 cup old fashioned Oats

1 cup sweetened Flaked Coconut

1 1/2 cups Andes Mint Baking Chips

1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped Pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Beat in egg and vanilla extract. On low speed, add baking soda and salt, and then flour. Mix completely. Stir in oats, coconut, pecans, and Andes baking chips. Measure out 2 teaspoons for large or 1 tablespoons for small cookies. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet two inches apart. Press lightly. Sprinkle some of the remaining chips (from the 10 oz. bag) on top of each cookie. Bake for 20 minutes for large cookies or 12-15 minutes for small. Do not overbake.

Kolachky

1 lb.butter

12 ounces cream cheese

1 tsp. sale

4 tbsp. sugar

4 cups flour

Soho filling, various flavours

Cream butter, cheese, salt. Add sugar and flour. Mix well. Roll to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 2" squares with pizza cutter. Place 1 tsp. filling in a 2" square. Fold and pinch opposite 2 corners. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar just before serving.

Enjoy!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

so I got all my cookies baked... I am quite surprised I got it done... the grandma came by later and she was super impressed and wants me to give her some cookies to for her to give away and for her Christmas eve gathering... she is going to pay me too..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I actually found Bird's custard here although I don't remember which store! As I have limited resources here it was either Krogers, Publix, Walmart, Target or Ingles. Look in the British Food or foreign food parts of grocery stories in the area. Interestingly, the product is made by Kraft foods in the US as well. Geeze - I just looked on line and it is available through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Custard-Powder...1069&sr=8-2 - that is for the small tin and it is about $6 with $3 shipping. You can use it for lots of other things as well - I used to love just making up a batch of the 'custard' and enjoying that like a pudding dessert.

I found Bird's Custard again at the Commissary at Fort Gillam, so if any of you are able to access an Army base and go to their commissary you might have success. They often have a lot of foreign food goodies available, understandable since the Army has a lot of well-travelled members and families.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

My 10 cookie list when down the drain.

I'm only making 3 now.

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shortbread Cookies

Peanut Butter Cookies

Oh well, I love all 3 kinds anyway.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

my husband was like, "why didn't you make your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? those are your best ones".. so I am making a batch tomorrow.. I am going to do half a batch with dried cranberries though to make them more festive... then I am going to half dip them in chocolate.. the ones without cranberries I am just going to drizzle with chocolate...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Frangellico Bread Pudding

1 large panettone, about 2 pounds

1/2 cup sugar

3 cups whole milk

Zest of 1/2 lemon

4 extra large eggs

1 stick butter, melted

White Chocolate

Cream

Frangellico Liqueur

In a saucepan, bring the milk and lemon zest to a simmer, remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl, mix the 3/4 cup sugar with the eggs. Gradually stir in the hot milk. Add Frangellico to taste – about 1.5 ounces.

Trim one slice of panettone so that it fits into the bottom of the souffle dish. Spoon 2 or 3 tablespoons of melted butter over it and then enough of the custard mixture to cover the panettone. Let it absorb the custard, adding more if necessary to cover. Repeat with additional slices of panettone, melted butter, and custard until the dish is filled to the very top. With each slice (and especially the last), use your palm to hold down the panettone until it completely submerged and saturated with custard. Do not compress the panettone, or the pudding will be too dense. Drizzle any remaining butter over the top.

Place the souffle dish into a larger pan filled with enough very hot tap water to come three-quarters of the way up the side of the dish. Bake for about an hour and a half. The top should be puffed and brown, the pudding should begin to pull away from the sides of the dish, and the internal temperature should rise to between 160 and 170 degrees. Allow the pudding to cool for at least 15 minutes.

While cooling, melt some white chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Add some cream and 2 ounces of Frangellico. Pour over individual servings of pudding before serving.

What temperature oven? How much sugar? (1/2 or 3/4 cup?)

April 30th 09: Verification that I-129F was delivered to CSC!

May 12th 09: NOA1!

May 15th 09: Check cashed

Aug 13th 09: *NOA2!*

Aug 18th 09: Received NOA2 Hardcopy

Aug 21st 09: NVC Received

Aug 24th 09: NVC Approved!

Aug 27th 09: London received

Sep 11th 09: Packet 3 received

Nov 10th 09: Mailed packet 3.

Nov 12th 09: Packet 3 delivered.

Nov 17th 09: Medical

Dec 7th 09: Interview Scheduled.

Dec 17th 09: Interview Approved!

Dec 30th 09: Visa Printed!

Jan 6th 10: POE Dallas!

Feb 6th 10: Wedding!

event.png

Timeline

we made some Chicken tortilla soup for Christmas eve dinner... it is so good.... hubby went to the store to get a few things so we can make another half batch..someone thought half a batch would be enough :P silly hubby

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all...

well, now that I'm in the US, i am getting ready to do some baking. I am making tortieres and pecan pies and sugar cookies this year. As well as making meals and stuff.

Tomorrow I am making my pie crusts. I think I'll also do some quiches too. I love it!

:D

IF anyone wants to share their fave pie pastry crust recipe, I'd love it. I use a butter recipe with a bit of yoghurt mixed in, everything as cold as possible.

It really is very good and easy to work with.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

I baked my 3 kinds of cookies today.

I liked them all, mostly the shortbread though. It's my favourite.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I know this isn't really a holiday recipe but we are eating it on Christmas eve along with some tamales and pozole,,,

Chicken Tortilla Soup

* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas, coarsely chopped

* 6 cloves garlic, minced

* 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

* 1 onion, chopped

* 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes

* 2 tablespoons ground cumin

* 1 tablespoon chili powder

* 3 bay leaves

* 6 cups chicken broth

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

* 5 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked *

Directions

1. In a large stock pot heat oil. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.

2. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves and chicken stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium and add salt and cayenne. Simmer for 30 minutes remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Heat through and serve.

* we just use one of those already cooked roast chickens from the grocery store..

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Torti...-II/Detail.aspx

mvSuprise-hug.gif

That recipe looks great, Marilyn. I'm amazed it uses so much cumin. Usually a little goes a very long way. But I like cumin quite a bit.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.