SENKA

Need New Passport

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Canadian passport expired in May, and I keep procrastinating to do a research on how to get a new one. I also have to change my last name, and briefly looked at the form and it says that I need a legal document about name change in addition to the marriage certificate. I never had to do that, as the name was changed through AOS process.

Besides, I know that guarantor could be only people of certain profession, is that still the case? I don't feel like having to call people in Canada and ask for favor, after not keeping in touch for so long.

It almost seems easier to apply for the US citizenship in January and wait for their passport. I am so stressed out about this, don't know where to even start.

Anyone has any advice or suggestion?

Thanks

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi SENKA,

Worry no more - renewing your passport is quite easy. If you didn't have to worry about the name change you could just fill in the form, send the photos and the fees and it would be renewed based upon your existing passport http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng. You will be able to use this process for your next passport.

Since you need to change your name you will need to fill out the regular application: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng . You need to submit one of your marriage certificate or a legal name change document, not both. Not everyone changes their name through marriage so they would have a legal name change document. Since you changed your name through marriage your marriage certificate is the form that indicates the change so that is all you would need to use.

Your guarantor can now be any Canadian citizen who holds a valid passport, has known you for at least 2 years and lives in Canada, the US or Bermuda. Family members count. I sent my application form and documents to my Dad to sign as my guarantor and he mailed them back to me. It was very straigtforward (except having to deal with the USPS who 'lost' the documents sent registered mail for nearly a month!) .

The biggest challenge in renewing your passport from the US is getting the US photographer to provide the photographs in the correct dimensions. They are different than the US requirements. Print out a copy of the photo requirements and take them to a photo shop rather than something like Walmart's and they should be able to programme the Kodak passport printer to make them to the correct sizes. My photographer just had to trim them up by hand to meet the exterior dimensions but the inside dimensions were fine.

Current processing wait times for mail from the US is about 4 weeks. I suspect you would get it faster than that. I sent off my application via courier and received it back via courier in 10 days, although that was a year ago now.

Good luck - it really isn't a big deal. Read over the new form, gather your documents and you should be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Anyone who holds a valid canadian passport can be your guarantor now. I believe a copy of your certifiied marriage certificate and a copy of your certified marriage license is what you need to send. At least that what I was told when I called and asked. Good luck.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi SENKA,

Worry no more - renewing your passport is quite easy. If you didn't have to worry about the name change you could just fill in the form, send the photos and the fees and it would be renewed based upon your existing passport http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng. You will be able to use this process for your next passport.

Since you need to change your name you will need to fill out the regular application: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng . You need to submit one of your marriage certificate or a legal name change document, not both. Not everyone changes their name through marriage so they would have a legal name change document. Since you changed your name through marriage your marriage certificate is the form that indicates the change so that is all you would need to use.

Your guarantor can now be any Canadian citizen who holds a valid passport, has known you for at least 2 years and lives in Canada, the US or Bermuda. Family members count. I sent my application form and documents to my Dad to sign as my guarantor and he mailed them back to me. It was very straigtforward (except having to deal with the USPS who 'lost' the documents sent registered mail for nearly a month!) .

The biggest challenge in renewing your passport from the US is getting the US photographer to provide the photographs in the correct dimensions. They are different than the US requirements. Print out a copy of the photo requirements and take them to a photo shop rather than something like Walmart's and they should be able to programme the Kodak passport printer to make them to the correct sizes. My photographer just had to trim them up by hand to meet the exterior dimensions but the inside dimensions were fine.

Current processing wait times for mail from the US is about 4 weeks. I suspect you would get it faster than that. I sent off my application via courier and received it back via courier in 10 days, although that was a year ago now.

Good luck - it really isn't a big deal. Read over the new form, gather your documents and you should be fine.

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH Kathryn41! I feel much better now. Thanks for the tip on the photo sizing, I didn't even pay attention to that before. Do you think it is o.k. to send them the original expired 2 year green card as a proof of identification? From what I was reading they require all original documents, and I am nervous sending them my original 10 year green card.

Thanks again, your detailed reply is much appreciated.

Senka

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Only your birth certificate needs to be original. The other id can be copies that are signed and dated by the guarantor. That is what I did just a month ago and I have my passport now.

Here is the direct quote from the Passport Canada instruction for the documents to support your identitiy

"You may submit original documents. They will be returned to you. If you are submitting copies (both sides), your guarantor must sign and date the copies to indicate that the originals have been seen."

S.

Edited by tysalanna

I love being a Canadian.

If you are having troubles finding a photographer that will do passport sized photos, call your local consulate and they should be able to provide a list for you. There is only ONE photographer in our area that will take passport photos to Canadian specs. I was very lucky that he also happened to be just up the road from me.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do they really want an original copy birth cert? or can you just photocopy the original and send the photocopy of the original..

Ima do this in a couple years but I only have one original and it was a big hastle to get it and rather not go through that again.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Do they really want an original copy birth cert? or can you just photocopy the original and send the photocopy of the original..

Ima do this in a couple years but I only have one original and it was a big hastle to get it and rather not go through that again.

You have to send them original, but they mail it back to you with the visa, they don't keep it.

It can be the short form one too, doesn't have to be the long form.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I sent my original wallet sized BC, and received it back, with my new passport within 10 days, and that wasn't expedited! Some people, myself included, want to retain my Canadian passport, even when I am a US Citizen. There is no problem in doing this as well Senka, if you were wondering.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.