unbauf

I-134 affidavit of support HELP!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello

My fiance and I are about to file for a fiance visa, we have been reading a lot about the whole process, right now we are worrying about the I-134 affidavit of support because we don't know if she has enough to sponsor me and finding someone to co-sponsor will be pretty hard for us. Anyway she is working right now but she makes $15.000 per year and as far as I know she is supposed to make over $18.200 per year to be able to sponsor me, but I heard she can also use her assets and she has over $12.000 saved in the bank so it would all add up right?.... I read that they would count 1 dollar per each 3 dollars she has in the bank so the $12.000 she has would go down to maybe $4000 soo her salary $15.000 plus assets would be around $19.000 or maybe a bit more.. do you think that would be enough for her to sponsor? what do you think would be the best amount of money to have to sponsor me?

Of course that might change because she will have an evaluation pretty soon and maybe get a raise, and well her assets will change too because she is still saving. so do you think we would be okay? please help us here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hello

My fiance and I are about to file for a fiance visa, we have been reading a lot about the whole process, right now we are worrying about the I-134 affidavit of support because we don't know if she has enough to sponsor me and finding someone to co-sponsor will be pretty hard for us. Anyway she is working right now but she makes $15.000 per year and as far as I know she is supposed to make over $18.200 per year to be able to sponsor me, but I heard she can also use her assets and she has over $12.000 saved in the bank so it would all add up right?.... I read that they would count 1 dollar per each 3 dollars she has in the bank so the $12.000 she has would go down to maybe $4000 soo her salary $15.000 plus assets would be around $19.000 or maybe a bit more.. do you think that would be enough for her to sponsor? what do you think would be the best amount of money to have to sponsor me?

Of course that might change because she will have an evaluation pretty soon and maybe get a raise, and well her assets will change too because she is still saving. so do you think we would be okay? please help us here

She qualifies just barely under the I-864 requirements, which is what many consulates apply when considering the I-134. However, the I-134 is a judgment call by the consulate. Many consulates are more comfortable with a sponsor that qualifies with income alone, or has substantial assets that put them well over the top. Being far under the income threshold, and barely qualifying after adding assets, might make the risk of "public charge" seem a little too high. If there's any way you can get a co-sponsor, you should probably do so. If she doesn't have medical insurance (which is quite possible, at that income level) then it could only take one trip to the hospital emergency room to evaporate those savings.

By the way, I'm very impressed that she's managed to save nearly a full year's income, even with such a low income level. Most people at that income level can barely afford to pay their bills, much less save anything.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello

The situation you quote would make her "iffy". I could not recommend going without a co-sponsor in that case. Your calculation of 3 to 1 is correct but you fail to allow that this is a subjective decision, it is not a "goal line" you cross and win. Consulates have very broad latitude on this and do not always like to consider cash assets. Why? Cash assets seem to come and go easily, if you understand my meaning. I am not saying they would not consider it, only they they MAY not consider it. If they do not, they will delay issuance of the visa until you provide one. In such a borderline situation I would recommend a co-sponsor going in.

Another reason...the co-sponsor for the I-134 is at very low risk, it is basically a "throw away". The I-134 is not a legally binding contract and its duration is very short. After you arrive, get married and file for adjustment of status it will be replaced by the I-864 which is legally binding. The I-864 is reviewed by the USCIS which has much more standardized qualifications, PLUS if it is found lacking, then they request a joint sponsor.

You WANT the visa, nothing else can happen until you get the visa...so go to that interview loaded for bear...for elephants. Get the visa and then work out any lack of income for the I-864 when you are here. In an "iffy" situation it is best to get a co-sponsor and not delay things

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.