~Laura and Nick~

How to check my credit

25 posts in this topic

Hiya sexy people!

It's been awhile! :blush:

Nick and I are doing awesome. :thumbs: We are working hard, saving as much as we can and currently shopping for our first home!

My lender asked me about my credit back in Canada. When he did a check, mine came up at zero. I have credit cards from Canada and I have good credit. He asked if there was some way I could send him a copy of my credit from Canada.....the problem is....

I don't know how to get that information!! LOL :P:jest:

Help? :innocent:

Hope everyone is doing wonderful!!! :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Hiya sexy people!

It's been awhile! :blush:

Nick and I are doing awesome. :thumbs: We are working hard, saving as much as we can and currently shopping for our first home!

My lender asked me about my credit back in Canada. When he did a check, mine came up at zero. I have credit cards from Canada and I have good credit. He asked if there was some way I could send him a copy of my credit from Canada.....the problem is....

I don't know how to get that information!! LOL :P:jest:

Help? :innocent:

Hope everyone is doing wonderful!!! :star:

You can order your Equifax report on line, and print it out. It costs... it will also give you your credit score.

http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/consumer...wnreport_e.html

I know my experiences with lenders etc... they said they could not take this into account, and you basically start from scratch...but if they are telling you it can help you, then hopefully it will. Good luck.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

I have no clue stinkers, but it is lovely to see you :luv:

congrats on the home buying!!!

love love love you :star:

You can order your Equifax report on line, and print it out. It costs... it will also give you your credit score.

http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/consumer...wnreport_e.html

I know my experiences with lenders etc... they said they could not take this into account, and you basically start from scratch...but if they are telling you it can help you, then hopefully it will. Good luck.

ty ty ty.

My lender didn't know if it could help us either but he said it's worth a shot. I'll check it out.

Thanks muchly.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm surprised the US lender cares about your Canadian credit - ours did not, although they made an attempt to get it (and I believe they did successfully)

The issue was more that I had no US credit and that brought down the good rate we could get with my husband's. We went with just his name on the loan to get the rate we wanted.

I wouldn't worry if you initially have to do that....we plan to refinance eventually if needed and then my name will be on the loan.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
I'm surprised the US lender cares about your Canadian credit - ours did not, although they made an attempt to get it (and I believe they did successfully)

The issue was more that I had no US credit and that brought down the good rate we could get with my husband's. We went with just his name on the loan to get the rate we wanted.

I wouldn't worry if you initially have to do that....we plan to refinance eventually if needed and then my name will be on the loan.

I'm really surprised that your lender cared about your Canadian credit too. We did the same thing as you Udella. Our lender said that my husband's Canadian credit wouldn't matter either and since his US credit is basically zero, we weren't going to get the interest rate that we wanted with his name on the loan(we just refinanced last week). I doubt that we'll ever refinance again, since we got 4.75% for 30 years, but you never know I guess. I hate that we weren't able to get his name on the house, but it is what it is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck with the house hunting Laura!!

I would just like to add, it's probably a good time to get yourself a US credit card and have yourself added to Nick's credit cards (if he has good credit of course).

My husband added me to his credit cards, which were both in perfect standing and with very high limits and before I knew it, I was approved for my own card and so now I'm sure I'm no longer at 0. I'm going to wait a few months to check my credit score, but I'm pretty confident in about a year or so, I'll have decent credit. To be honest I'm unsure if being added to my husband's cards made a difference, but they do show up my report, so I'm sure they did something to sway my credit card company to give me credit also.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When searching for rates, sometimes the bank will tell you what your credit score are. Suntrust did it for us, Since they pulled our credit score, they told us what all 3 of them were. And when your searching out for the best interest rate and deal, you do NOT want every lender pulling ur credit score. Some say it DOES effect ur credit score, some said it doesnt! As I guess the credit score people are suppose to lump together the credit checks into one, thus not effecting ur score, BUT we were told by sources that doesnt always happen, thus it lowers ur score, which isnt good! When we were searching to refinance our condo, we just gave the lenders our credit score (which we got from suntrust) and they based their quotes on that.

When we first bought our condo, I had no credit score, thus wasnt used on the loan, BUT i was put on the deed (is that the right name? lol my head is cloudy this morn) of the condo. So if something did happen, the condo was still legally half mine,lol When we refinanced, I was then put on the mortgage. Doesnt take long to get a super credit rating. Mine is up in the range that the banks consider their highest, and only took a short while. And I didnt even have a job then, just a student, and had 2 credit cards in my name.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I should add that since my name wasn't on the initial loan, it could not be on the deed - but about 6 months later we had my name added to teh deed so we've got that at least in both our names now for Removal of Conditions

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I should add that since my name wasn't on the initial loan, it could not be on the deed - but about 6 months later we had my name added to teh deed so we've got that at least in both our names now for Removal of Conditions

guess it all depends on the bank, as it was no problem for me to be put onto the deed and other paperwork, just not onto the mortgage itself.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

What type of mortgage loan are you looking at, FHA or conventional? My husband and I just bought a house in July, and we did an FHA loan . Even though my husband had a somewhat established credit history here, we were not able to have him on the loan because the FHA guidelines state that the borrower must have least two years of established credit income and assets history. My husband had a little over a year, so no can do. We were able to qualify on just my 'history,' which brought down the amount we were approved for (somewhat) but it worked out in the end. We've been happy home-owners now for 4 months! :dance: Only 29 years and 8 months left. :blink: :blink:

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Thanks so much guys for all your responses!!! :thumbs:

To answer some questions:

My lender Gary is awesome. He sent us paperwork of what our credit scores looked like. Nick has amazing credit, I, of course, have zero. He was wondering if I could get him a copy of my credit in Canada so that he could at least try to incorporate it somehow, he wasn't quite sure if it was possible or not.

We were approved a 30 year FHA loan at 5.2%. He gave us a pre-approval. We actually found a home we love that's under our price point and we put an offer in yesterday morning!!! :)

Still waiting to hear back. :blush:

My parents, who completely rock, just sent Nick and I a good chunk of money to help us out. I was in tears.

Sapphire, good thinking, I had no idea I could be added to someone's credit card!! I'll talk to Nick about that tonight when he gets home from work.

We are excited, nervous and scared but...that's what house hunting is all about!!!! :dance:

Thanks again :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Oh I wanted to add, our loan isn't through a bank, it's through Lend America. They are a pretty good company, been in business for several years and our lender was recommended by a friend who got a mortgage through him as well.

Our bank (TD Bank) WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS btw...TD in Canada ROCKS! It totally sucks down here, I don't know what the hell is wrong with them...but ANYWAY!

They are advertising 30 year FHA loans at 4.7% etc, BUT they won't give pre-approvals?!? Doesn't that seem odd? It's like "Hey, so you can't afford a lot but here, we'll give you this loan BUT we won't give you a pre-approval so that you can buy the house in the first place".....HMMM :unsure:

We were going to drop in the bank to talk to someone just to see but I'm not sure. I've been dealing with Gary for weeks now and feel very good about him...even though we are at 5.2%

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Wow. That is awesome, Laura! SO glad to hear you're doing well.

Just as a point of reference..... lenders can take the Canadian credit history into account if they choose to. :)

Good luck on the offer! Can't wait to hear you tell us it was accepted!!

Thanks honey!! :)

I'm starting to get nervous....I've been reading lots of reviews online about Lend America. Although some are good, there are an awful lot of bad ones.

Should I just go to the bank?

I have time and Gary my Lender said that if I'm able to get a better rate elsewhere, he encourages me to do so. Why would someone say that if they didn't mean it???

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.