jacoman

Changing Status from Conditional to Permanent

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were married in Colombia in 2007, have a 2-year old son who was born in Colombia and have now been in the US living together for 18 months with our son since going through the Direct Consular Filing for my wife in Jan 2008. Upon arriving in the US we were told that she would need to apply for permanent residence before her 2-year anniversary (Apr 2010). What do we need to do and what papers should we be ready to present so that she might become a permanent resdient?

Thanks,

Jaco and Andrea

Edited by jacoman

The term for the next step is called Removing (or Lifting) of Conditions. There is a 'Step-by-Step Guide on Removing of Conditions (Form I-751)' that is really pretty comprehensive. Basically you complete a form and send evidence that the marriage is still ongoing.

Take a look through the guide to become familiar with when to file, and of course all the how-to's (there's an important deadline you don't want to miss). There are some things you can start putting together now and over the next coming months to prepare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Make sure that USCIS has your current adress. They should send a reminder (they did send one to us and other couples I know).

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

It does help to get your terminology correct. She is already a permanent resident - but that residency has conditions on it since you were married less than two years at the time the green card was issued. Hence, the 'removal' of conditions process (as outlined in the guide proved by Otto und Karin).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Are you talking about I-751 or I-485? If your wife already has a gc then you need to file to remove conditions. You don't have to wait for another 2 years to a card. Don't confuse yourself and contributors. You may get reverse answers if you don't get your terminologies right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.