Pucca23

lawyer specialized in US immigration in Montreal???

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

my husband and I are looking for a lawyer experienced, specialized in US immigration (DCF in Montreal) in Montreal.

We really need a professionnal in US immigration because we have a lot of questions for our paperworks...

If anyone could recommend a lawyer? or do you think I can ask the US consulate in Montreal ? maybe they have their own lawyer?

If anyone had consulted a lawyer as well for the same reason (US immigration), it would be good that this person shares his experience? please :-)

thank you

P

Filed: Timeline

Hi Pucca. We did DCF through Montreal without a lawyer. I would never tell you NOT to hire one; but unless there are some concerns about your case (overstays, etc) most folks go at by themselves. MTL does not offer legal consults.

You can ask your questions on the boards, and folks will share their experiences with you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you could just ask us, but if you want an attorney the consulate does list some on their webpage, however they make no claim as to if they are any good or not!

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/m...l_attorneys.asp

Timeline

Most of the people didnt use a lawyer that are here in the Cdn forum. We did use one, she was based out of New York, never even saw her,lol, no clue what she looks like. Dont think i would recommend her, as she was pricey; $2500 plus all the filing costs. And she didn't do anything special for us, nor will a lawyer in most cases. We here in the Cdn forum have pretty much seen it all, question wise, and yes there are instances where a lawyer can help. We do not bite, and if we can't help, most wil say so and lead one towards a lawyer, just might not be able to tell ya which lawyer!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi Pucca,

I remember your questions now, but i'm wondering if you didn't really get the answers you need? Please post more if you would like to (this is not to say that you shouldn't get a lawyer if you feel you need one! Just to let you know we are happy to help)

Hi Pucca,

I remember your questions now, but i'm wondering if you didn't really get the answers you need? Please post more if you would like to (this is not to say that you shouldn't get a lawyer if you feel you need one! Just to let you know we are happy to help)

Ok, thank you a lot! a lawyer would be our last option... because it seems really expensive and useless among wht people say....

I will explain my situation better and quicker:

- My husband is a canadian and american citizen

- I am a French citizen and a permanent resident in Canada

- We both live in Montreal

- his parents are Us citizens and canadians as well and live in Canada

- his aunt is a us citzen and live in Chicago, she is the only link we have in the US

After the 1st step of DCF at the US consulate in montreal 2 weeks ago, the us agent told us that our big challenge will be to prove domicile in the US for my husband.

We are looking for options we have to prove domicile because we both live in Canada.

- We can not say we will leave with his aunt in Chicago in her home until we find our own apt in Chicago because the truth is we want to live in NYC.

We can not lie.

What my husband could do is:

- doing his drivers licence in the US, using his aunt address in Chicago

- open a banx account using his aunt address in Chicago

-he just did his US taxes

and that is it what we see to do... not much and not enough for proving domicile in th US.... :-(

thank you for helping us!!!!

P.

ps: is it possible to meet members of this forum living in Montreal?... :-)

Timeline

Im sure trailmix can help you with this question!! and there was a post started about proving domicile in the USA, while both live in Canada! I'm off to bed, as I work tonight, but sure others will assist you.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Ok so it is the domicile question that you are concerned about, and rightfully so - it's an important issue when filing DCF. I did answer your question in one of your other posts but it seems to me that you feel that you don't have any of the items that people have listed that they used to prove domicile so you are just looking for more ideas?

First of all, instead of thinking of all the things you don't have, it's a good idea to start thinking about all the things you do have or can have.

I have some questions for you:

- So you don't/can't have a lease from your Aunt, so when the two of you arrive in the U.S., you get off the plane in NY - where are you going?

- You mention that your Husband is a dual citizen - has he ever lived in the U.S.? Does he have a U.S. Social Security Number?

- Has your Husband filed his U.S. tax returns while living in Canada?

- Remember that you are trying to prove 'reestablishing domicile'. Have you looked for work at all? A place to live? Do you have a quote from a mover?

Timeline
Merged duplicate threads and removed identical post.

thank you!

I have read the post about proving domicile in the USA.

but it did not answer all my questions.

And you didn't answer my questions (above) :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Ok so it is the domicile question that you are concerned about, and rightfully so - it's an important issue when filing DCF. I did answer your question in one of your other posts but it seems to me that you feel that you don't have any of the items that people have listed that they used to prove domicile so you are just looking for more ideas?

First of all, instead of thinking of all the things you don't have, it's a good idea to start thinking about all the things you do have or can have.

I have some questions for you:

- So you don't/can't have a lease from your Aunt, so when the two of you arrive in the U.S., you get off the plane in NY - where are you going?

NO, WE COULD GET A LEASE FROM HIS AUNT BUT WE DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN CHICAGO. WE WANT TO LIVE IN NY. IDEALLY WE WOULD MOVE AT THE SAME TIME TO NY.

- You mention that your Husband is a dual citizen - has he ever lived in the U.S.? Does he have a U.S. Social Security Number?

HE HAS NOT LIVED IN THE US BEFORE. HE WAS BORN IN CANADA. HE HAS A SSN.

- Has your Husband filed his U.S. tax returns while living in Canada?

YES HE HAS DONE THAT THIS YEAR. WE HAVE THEM WITH US.

- Remember that you are trying to prove 'reestablishing domicile'. Have you looked for work at all? A place to live? Do you have a quote from a mover?

WE DO NOT LOOK FOR A JOB BEFORE WE KNOW WHEN WE COULD GET THE GREEN CARD. BECAUSE IDEALLY WE WANT TO MOVE AT THE SAME TIME.

IT IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE 6 MONTHS MINIMUM OR MORE, THEN IT IS TOO EARLY TO LOOK FOR A JOB NOW.

IT IS THE SAME REASON FOR NOT HAVING LOOKED FOR A PLACE.

THE QUOTE FOR A MOVER SEEMS EASY TO GET AS I READ ON THE FORUM. BUT IT IS TOO ERALY TO DO IT, ISN'T IT?

thx!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.