souljah4christ

I-134 question.. co-sponsor was not born in US..

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all!!

My dad will be the co-sponsor for my fiancee in England. I see other co-sponsors are including copies of their birth certificate or passport with the I-134. (correct?)

My dad has no passport, and was not born in the US. Does he need to include a copy of his Certificate of Naturalization??

(He is reluctant to do this, claiming nowhere does it ask him to include it and he says writing his certificate # on the I-134 should be sufficient)

He does not want to include his birth certificate from Germany either.

Please provide any feedback that you can as soon as possible, because we want to send our stuff to England this week!

Thank you all in advance!!

-Michael & Leanne :)

... p.s.

He also wants to black-out his social security # on forms he includes like his tax return, etc..

will that be ok??

-Thanks again!!

........January 2009: Michael & Leanne got engaged! t4527.gif

........May 26, 2009: Filed I-129F!

...Februay 04, 2010: Michael attended interview with Leanne... APPROVED!!!!!!!!

.......April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA :D

........July 06, 2010: Mailed AOS package

........July 08, 2010: Received in Chicago

........July 14, 2010: Check was cashed

........July 15, 2010: Received text & email that app. was received

........July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

........July 19, 2010: "Touch"..biometrics appt. letter mailed (I-485 & I-765)

.....August 02, 2010: Biometrics appointment

.....August 03, 2010: "Touch" on I-485 & I-765

.....August 11, 2010: Notice of Interview date

.....August 26, 2010: Touches on I-131 & I-765, production of EAD card ordered

.....August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered (again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail! (both dated 8/26)

September 20, 2010: AOS Interview...APPROVED!!!

usabig.gifbig_heart_beating.gifukbig.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If he is going to be the co-sponsor he has to provide his certificate of naturalization and I am pretty sure he cannot black out his social security number

Edited by gmjdmj

Timeline
If he is going to be the co-sponsor he has to provide his certificate of naturalization and I am pretty sure he cannot black out his social security number

ok, thanks for the feedback... just a copy of it, right?

.......April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA :D

........July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

.....August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered (again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail! (both dated 8/26)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I agree he can not black out his social security number and the naturalization certificate is important to confirm that he is USC.

I understand he maybe paranoid about having social security number out there, but he should not black it out.

Yes, just a copy of it :).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I agree he can not black out his social security number and the naturalization certificate is important to confirm that he is USC.

I understand he maybe paranoid about having social security number out there, but he should not black it out.

Yes, just a copy of it :).

Naturalization certificate or every page, including blank ones, of the US passport. No blacking out information asked for on the affidavit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks guys!

My dad doesn't believe it when I tell him, so I am showing him your replys ...

he said "who ARE these people?!" LOL

I told him that "they are people going through the same thing as me, who have been researching it also" :)

Please keep the replies coming!

:thumbs:

Timeline
Thanks guys!

I told him that "they are people going through the same thing as me, who have been researching it also" :)

Hint! Tell him we are people who read the instructions, if you think that will help.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Thanks guys!

Hint! Tell him we are people who read the instructions, if you think that will help.

Perhaps I'm just being blind, but where on the form ( http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf ) or instructions ( http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf ) does it say you need to do this?

Thanks,

Adam

K-1 Visa

I-129F mailed: 19/02/2009

NOA-1 received: 27/02/2009

NOA-2 received: ????

Packet 3 received: 27/07/2009

Packet 3 sent: 07/08/2009

Packet 4 (interview date) received: 24/08/2009

Medical: 28/08/2009

Interview at London Embassy: 11/09/2009

(Application suspended at Interview pending submission of I-134 & long-form birth certificate)

I-134 & long-form birth certificate sent: 14/10/2009

Visa delivered to work: 29/10/2009

Total days from mailing petition: 252

Timeline

yeah, that's what my dad was saying too, Adam.

Someone on another thread was saying that they use the same guidelines as the I-864 when you change your status later or something like that, which calls for a copy of the birth certificate, etc...

Timeline
yeah, that's what my dad was saying too, Adam.

Someone on another thread was saying that they use the same guidelines as the I-864 when you change your status later or something like that, which calls for a copy of the birth certificate, etc...

Yes, it's the I-864 instructions that mention providing proof of status by joint sponsors. Once you've read both multiple times, it gets a little fuzzy as to where specific knowledge comes from. Fortunately you asked and have the correct guidance in time to avoid any undue delays.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

yes.. now whether my father will actually listen to all the advice is another question! lol

thanks for the help :)

Timeline
yes.. now whether my father will actually listen to all the advice is another question! lol

Well, it's his choice. He can listen now or wait for the official notice asking for the missing documentation.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Well, it's his choice. He can listen now or wait for the official notice asking for the missing documentation.

This doesn't appear to make sense - In your reply above you said it's the I-864 that requires the documentation. Yet in this reply you make the leap to it also being required for the I-134?

Don't get me wrong, it's always better to supply too much evidence/documentation...but I'm seeing this requirement of proof of US citizenship posted a lot recently...but no one is telling me where this requirement is listed?

Thanks again,

adam

K-1 Visa

I-129F mailed: 19/02/2009

NOA-1 received: 27/02/2009

NOA-2 received: ????

Packet 3 received: 27/07/2009

Packet 3 sent: 07/08/2009

Packet 4 (interview date) received: 24/08/2009

Medical: 28/08/2009

Interview at London Embassy: 11/09/2009

(Application suspended at Interview pending submission of I-134 & long-form birth certificate)

I-134 & long-form birth certificate sent: 14/10/2009

Visa delivered to work: 29/10/2009

Total days from mailing petition: 252

Timeline

This doesn't appear to make sense - In your reply above you said it's the I-864 that requires the documentation. Yet in this reply you make the leap to it also being required for the I-134?

Don't get me wrong, it's always better to supply too much evidence/documentation...but I'm seeing this requirement of proof of US citizenship posted a lot recently...but no one is telling me where this requirement is listed?

Thanks again,

adam

The mistake you are making is to presume everything you need to know about the I-134 is in the I-134 instructions. Since there is no statutory requirement for the I-134 at all and it is not actually used by USCIS (the agency that created it) anymore, Consulates tend to follow I-864 procedures when accepting it. You can trust this is correct and provide the needed docuumentation in advance or you can stubbornly insist it isn't required, right up until the visa is delayed for lack of documenting the cosponsor's eligibility to sponsor. It's your/his choice. Provide it now, profide it later or no visa.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.