Cranbrookwriter

Background check

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm engaged to an American, we're getting married next month and I'll be moving to the States sometime next year on a K3 visa but...

I'm filling out the bio paperwork for my K3 visa and am wondering if the US government visa folks actually check out one's education credentials? I got my BA over 20 years ago under an entirely different name -- how can they possibly know this?

Second question: I haven't filed my taxes in two years but am in the process of cleaning this up over the next couple of months. Can this issue prevent me from being accepted into the States? And will this information show up when I'm applying for a mortgage with my new husband next year? I have savings and a good credit rating but I really screwed up in not doing my taxes for two years due to personal problems and too much work.

Cranbrook Writer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm engaged to an American, we're getting married next month and I'll be moving to the States sometime next year on a K3 visa but...

I'm filling out the bio paperwork for my K3 visa and am wondering if the US government visa folks actually check out one's education credentials? I got my BA over 20 years ago under an entirely different name -- how can they possibly know this?

Second question: I haven't filed my taxes in two years but am in the process of cleaning this up over the next couple of months. Can this issue prevent me from being accepted into the States? And will this information show up when I'm applying for a mortgage with my new husband next year? I have savings and a good credit rating but I really screwed up in not doing my taxes for two years due to personal problems and too much work.

Cranbrook Writer

Forget the K3. Go for the CR1 instead. It takes about the same amount of time, and you'll get a green card on arrival in the US. It also costs less. The K3 is a relic from a time when a CR1/IR1 visa took a long time to get, and the K3 was provided as way for the spouse of a US citizen to wait for approval of their I-130 while staying in the US with their spouse. Since both the K3 and I-130 petitions are now approved in about the same amount of time, there's rarely any advantage to going with the K3.

The G-325A is a general purpose biographical form. USCIS is certainly not going to check your education credentials. It's also very unlikely that the consulate will verify any of the information on the G-325A, but I can't say that with absolute certainty without knowing what country you will be interviewing in. Some consulates in high fraud countries have been known to go to extraordinary measures to check on a beneficiary AND petitioner. I haven't heard about them checking education credentials, but I have heard about them verifying past jobs and addresses. It just depends on how ####### the consulate is.

I've never heard of either USCIS or a consulate checking into the tax status of a beneficiary. I don't know what the rules are in your country, but having trouble with tax authorities in the US can sometimes prevent someone from getting a passport or leaving the country. If your country has similar rules then try to get your taxes fixed up before it's time to travel.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Cranbrook Writer

Forget the K3. Go for the CR1 instead. It takes about the same amount of time, and you'll get a green card on arrival in the US. It also costs less. The K3 is a relic from a time when a CR1/IR1 visa took a long time to get, and the K3 was provided as way for the spouse of a US citizen to wait for approval of their I-130 while staying in the US with their spouse. Since both the K3 and I-130 petitions are now approved in about the same amount of time, there's rarely any advantage to going with the K3.

The G-325A is a general purpose biographical form. USCIS is certainly not going to check your education credentials. It's also very unlikely that the consulate will verify any of the information on the G-325A, but I can't say that with absolute certainty without knowing what country you will be interviewing in. Some consulates in high fraud countries have been known to go to extraordinary measures to check on a beneficiary AND petitioner. I haven't heard about them checking education credentials, but I have heard about them verifying past jobs and addresses. It just depends on how ####### the consulate is.

I've never heard of either USCIS or a consulate checking into the tax status of a beneficiary. I don't know what the rules are in your country, but having trouble with tax authorities in the US can sometimes prevent someone from getting a passport or leaving the country. If your country has similar rules then try to get your taxes fixed up before it's time to travel.

I'm in BC, Canada, and I think I'll be interviewed in Vancouver. We have looked into the CR1 but the interview process is held only in Montreal, not here on the west coast. Thanks for the information. I'll just go ahead and put down my education credentials and if they check and can't find it, I will just give them my original name (from a prior marriage). Does anyone know whether my income tax issue would come in if I co-apply on a mortgage with my husband? It's something I've very embarrassed about and would prefer not to share this info with him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can try posting in the regionals in the canada section. They have a lot of good people in there that know a fair amount about taxes.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

The only problem re. back taxes would be in Canada. If there is some record that the government has acted to obtain the back taxes, it will show up in your credit check when you apply for a mortgage. And, in the interests of honesty in marriage, you should let him know about this bit of oversight on your part, as baggage you are carrying.

They don't really care at all about your educational credentials.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Cranbrook Writer

Why would they care. At no point are your edication credentials requested or required and why would you list them? They ask for your last FIVE YEARS employment and residence history, do not give them more than that.

Foreign taxes? The USA does not care and neither will your mortgage company. They also do not care about your credit rating or savings

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Cranbrook Writer

Why would they care. At no point are your edication credentials requested or required and why would you list them? They ask for your last FIVE YEARS employment and residence history, do not give them more than that.

Foreign taxes? The USA does not care and neither will your mortgage company. They also do not care about your credit rating or savings

I mentioned the G-325A, but I was running on one cup of coffee at the time. :blush:

Education history IS requested on the DS-230.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Cranbrook Writer

I'm in BC, Canada, and I think I'll be interviewed in Vancouver. We have looked into the CR1 but the interview process is held only in Montreal, not here on the west coast. Thanks for the information. I'll just go ahead and put down my education credentials and if they check and can't find it, I will just give them my original name (from a prior marriage). Does anyone know whether my income tax issue would come in if I co-apply on a mortgage with my husband? It's something I've very embarrassed about and would prefer not to share this info with him.

When a US immigration form asks a question, you simply answer it truthfully and accurately. Don't worry about whether it can be verified or any other concern beyond accuracy and honesty.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Education History

Hell, you can buy degrees On line

For a couple hunderd bucks I can be Doctor with a Diploma and transcripts......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Cranbrook Writer

I mentioned the G-325A, but I was running on one cup of coffee at the time. :blush:

Education history IS requested on the DS-230.

True. I gathered he was referring to the petition forms and the DS-230 is not used at all consulates, perhaps in Canada, yes, but not at all.

You are correct, they do not verify it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.