antda

Ant’s Citizenship INTERVIEW PASSED.…BUT….(Part 1 of 2)….

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My written test was that I had to write "I drink too much coffee!!" and yes I put the exclamation marks after,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Again, thanks for all your replies and well wishes...:)

Well, tomorrow is the big day for my oath ceremony....

So before I post about that experience later on in the week, let me respond to your replies here first:

WyattsTorch-Glad you found the post fascinating and informative. As for you going for your US Citizenship, it is your choice there, as this is an optional step in the immigration journey. When you become a USC you don't have to renounce your Canadian Citizenship, unless you want to and you have to do such in writing. The important thing (as I say this to everyone) is that one should realize the importance and reasons as to why they become a citizen of a country, regardless of what it is, as having citizenship is a responsibility and a right that should not be taken lightly.

Fascinating and informative read, Ant!

I'm not sure whether I'll become a U.S. Citizen at some point, but the idea has appealed to me since I learned I don't have to renounce my Canadian Citizenship to do so.

Thanks for writing this!

Kathryn41-Thanks for the congrats. Lol...I like to be thorough and detailed..;)

Congratulations Ant - very thorough!

WyattsTorch-Thanks for the congrats.

Argh...and I forgot to say in my post...CONGRATULATIONS! :dance:

Hugglebuggles-Thanks for the congrats. Oh yeah, it certainly feels good to be done with the immigration process, once and for all! No more USCIS to deal with! (lol..and yes, that is one of the motivations to get US Citizenship....). USCIS free, yippee! No more 'fun' of waiting, no more paying, no more filling out paperwork, no more stress, and no more worries of being deported/kicked out of the country....lol...

Onto the real fun of being "free as a USC"!

Congrats Ant!! It must feel good to be done with all the fun immigrations has to offer!

Peachy-Thanks for the congtats. Good news, and a big relief, indeed!

Congratulations Ant! Great News :)

Jo&Si-Thanks for the congrats.

Congratulations Ant!!!

Canadian_wife-Thanks for the congrats

Excellent! Congrats!

Carlawarla-Thanks for the congrats. And yes, I will definitely know let you and everyone else on vj know how the oath ceremony goes tomorrow. As for the accomodations requested, it was for a private oath ceremony, which they granted, and I mentioned about in the second part of the interview story. You can read more about that here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3510781

Congratulations Ant! (F) Let us know how the ceremony goes! What type of "accomodations" need to be made for your ceremony? Sorry if it was mentioned...there was A LOT of information in your post, and if I missed it I apologize.

Flames9_RN: Lol....That's ok, you can keep yours, as you deserve your US Citizenship too! I'll get my own tomorrow....Besides, I don't think that I look like a "Flames9_RN" and I'm not male...So that won't be believable anyhow....But I'll take the Canadian socks! (just kidding..lol...)

cool. I would have given u my USA citizenship if u wanted it,lol

EbrechNPersona-Thanks for the congrats. The reason why they don't let my husband, son, or anyone else go into the interview room with me is because this is a citizenship interivew, and I'm the only one applying for such and it is not a joint application. This is not like a green card interview, where they ask to establish a relationship (though they ask for such documents, which prove such already), but rather an interview to see if one can be a citizen, regardless of how they came into the country. So a spouse is not needed for the citizenship interview, and are asked to sit in the waiting room (though that's good for moral support too). They did though want to see my husband and son afterwards, but that was more so for curiousity reasons, and it just so happens that they were there with me in the waiting room.

congrats but i don't understand why you didn't go together through that door ?

Krikit-Thanks for the congrats. :ph34r:...Sometimes I feel as though I'm in the witness protection program, especially more so that I've been background checked by the USCIS so many times!...;) I also live in a small town where 'everybody knows everybody' and my neighbours have guns...Kind of need some protection there....lol...;)

Ant is obviously in the witness protection program. :ph34r:

Congratulations, Ant, and good luck!

Mikey78-Thanks for the congrats.

Congrats! :)

Bogartnoir-Thanks for the congrats. Glad that you found the post invaulable and interesting. Yes, those were the only questions that they asked me, out of a possible 100 that they could have asked for the civics/history portion of the test. Actually, you can read more about what is required for the citizenship test and interview here. Hope this helps too.:

Study Materials for the Naturalization Test

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

And no, it does not require some crazy long written test. Though to be honest with you, I would have done better on that then some verbal test....Oh well...Can't pick and choose here. The point is, answer 6 civics/history questions verbally, read 1 simple sentence, and write 1 simple sentence. And they go over the entire applicaiton form. It's not scary at all, espcially for Canadians who know English already....lol...

very interesting! and congratulations :thumbs:

it's interesting that those are the only questions they ask! my fiance was really worried that it would be a really crazy long written test! i'll have to show him your post so he knows it's not so scary :)

thanks again for the post. this kind of thing is really invaluable!

Flames9_RN-Lol...With all those extra exclaimation marks...Definitely shows you drink a lot of coffee. Glad you passed with that easy sentence. Should have added too: "I drink too much TIM HORTONS coffee!". Lol..If I would have had to write that sentence, that would have been a lie for me..as I don't drink coffee much....

My written test was that I had to write "I drink too much coffee!!" and yes I put the exclamation marks after,lol

WyattsTorch-I'm glad that they accomodated my request too. Was wondering if they would...But yeah, it all worked out there....

Good stuff, Ant -- glad they could accommodate you!

Kathryn41-Thanks for the congrats about the ceremony too. I'm glad that they accomodated my request too. Was wondering if they would...But yeah, it wll worked out there...As for the special video..More likely than not, I'll miss it....(lol..unless they give 'private screenings' or 'private rentals' of the video too)...I'm sure Obama wouldn't mind if I missed his speech....lol....Though I wonder though, if the immigraiton officials at my ceremony will give speeches of their own to me, which is a good thing too 'in lieu of the video'...Will find out and report about that later....By the way, what is on the video anyways...just wondering what I missed out on..lol....

Great news - nice that they were willing to accommodate your request. Congratulations and enjoy your ceremony. (I suspect they won't show you the special videos though but oh well :) ) .

Thanks for reading my stories about the interview! Hope that it helped you all out too...:)

Stay tuned for more updates and more stories on vj this week regarding my oath tomorrow (Nov. 23...)

Good luck with the rest of your journeys too!

Ant (Interview Passed, Oath Tomorrow....Yikes!)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

Krikit-Lol...Even harder to reply too too!...Ran into a snag with the quote tags and got disconnect halfway too..Oh well...

Just basically wrote and said: Thanks for the congrats....(and whatever else is relevant to the part with one\'s vj name on it...lol...)

By the way, this was your part above, in case you missed it:

Krikit-Thanks for the congrats. ...Sometimes I feel as though I\'m in the witness protection program, especially more so that I\'ve been background checked by the USCIS so many times!... I also live in a small town where \'everybody knows everybody\' and my neighbours have guns...Kind of need some protection there....lol...

Whoa. That was hard to read. I finally gave up. lol

Trailmix-Thanks for the congrats too..

I can\'t - but congratulations :thumbs:

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.