meod

Race question in N400

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Part 5 in N400 that asks about race?

I m not White, Asian, Black or African American, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian or other Pasific Islander. im non of the above, Im from Northen African with dark skin. what should i put in there? or should i just leave it blank?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I m not White, Asian, Black or AFRICAN AMERICAN, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian or other Pasific Islander. im non of the above, Im from Northen African with dark skin. what should i put in there? or should i just leave it blank?

Thank you.

my guess is

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I m not White, Asian, Black or African American, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian or other Pasific Islander. im non of the above, Im from Northen African with dark skin. what should i put in there? or should i just leave it blank?

Thank you.

Regardless, you are African, so Black should be right. There are light skinned blacks all over the globe

Filling out AOS forms

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you.

If you are of Arabic decent, I think you should put "white". If you are of Negroid decent, you should put "african american".

I understand you are not american yet, but the term "african american" is misleading at best and outright stupid at worst. The correct antropological term for this race is in fact "negroid", but years of liberal retardation labeled this term as "racist" comparing it to the actually offensive "n" word. That's how politically correct term "african american" emerged. However this term is clearly retarded and a black person coming from Africa who is not an American is clearly not an "african american" so there is no accurate category for him/her to use. Even non-sceintific term "black" is more accurate in this regard and should not be any more offensive than "white" applied to white people. But, PC culture removed even this last bit of sense from many government forms.

Sorry for the rant, hope it was helpful.

================================================================================

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

================================================================================

K-1 Process

Fall 2005 I-129F Filed at VSC

Winter 2005 I-129F Recieved

02/06 Interview in Moscow Embassy - Approved!

03/06 K-1 visa recieved

03/06 POE NYC, EA stamped

04/06 Found a job (professional and relevant to education)!

04/06 Wedding!

AOS Process

04/06 Filed for I-485, EAD, AP at VSC

05/06 Biometrics taken

05/06 Letters to Congressmen and Senators to expedite EAD

06/06 EAD recieved

07/06 AP recieved (and never used)

10/06 AOS Interview - Approved, Passport stamped with I-551

11/06 2 year GC recieved!

ROC Process

07/08 I-751 Filed with VSC

08/06/08 NOA date

02/25/09 Transferred to CSC

02/26/09 Touched

02/27/09 Touched

03/01/09 Touched

03/17/09 Approved

03/20/09 Approval notice recieved

04/02/09 10 year GC recieved!

N-400 Process

07/28/09 N-400 Sent

07/29/09 N-400 Recieved in TX Lockbox

08/03/09 Check cashed

08/03/09 NOA Recieved, NOA date 07/29/09

08/21/09 Biometrics appointment - completed

10/15/09 Interview - Recommended for approval!

11/16/09 Oath Letter finally received (after numerous calls to our Senators)

12/10/09 Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN - Done with USCIS!!!

mmm maybe you should attache a sheet of paper explaining that you don't fit in any of the categories, and explain why or you can call USCIS and ask an operator what you should do in your case

Mailed N-400 7/23/2009

N-400 received 7/27/09

Biometrics appt 8/19/2009

Interview 11/10/2009 PASSED (got oath letter same day)

Oath ceremony 11/25/2009 (It was nice, FINALLY I am a CITIZEN)

I-130 sent 10/29/2009

I-130 received 10/30/2009

Check cashed 11/05/2009

NOA1 dated 11/05/2009

"Touched" 11/06/2009

"Touched" 11/08/2009

"Touched" 11/09/2009

NOA1 received 11/09/2009

"Touched" 11/30/2009

"faxed proof of citizenship" 12/01/2009

"Touched" 12/01/2009

"Touched" 12/02/2009

"Touched" 12/03/2009

12/23/09 APPROVED Email SENT, and approval letter mailed

12/24/09 Touched

12/28/09 Touched

12/31/09 NVC receives case and assign #

01/04/10 Gave NVC emailed address

01/06/10 AOS BIll / DS-3032 generated

01/06/10 AOS Bill paid, DS-3032 emailed

02/13/10 Paid IV BIll

02/13/10 Sent I-864

2/18/10 Sent DS-230

2/25/10 received e-mail of checklist ( according to NVC DS-230 is missing, but its not so they said to ignore the e-mail)

03/03/10 Login Failed

03/04/10 Case Complete...............waiting for interview date

03/25/10 Interview letter received through email

05/12/10 Interview Date.... Approved

05/19/10 Picked up passport at Domex in Santo Domingo

05/22/10 Hubby and me come home together...Port of Entry New York's JFK

06/14/10 Received Welcome Letter

06/18/10 2nd Welcome Letter

06/28/10 Received 2 year GC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Thank you.

Regardless, you are African, so Black should be right. There are light skinned blacks all over the globe

i look like Hispanic but im not hispanic im from Algeria, we are not black, we are Arabs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband is also from Algeria and has been told to check "white." I know it seems odd, but the US Gov't places people from the Middle East and N Africa in this category. I am sure there is a better source than this, but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States_Census

See the part under Census 2000.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Seems to be a common problem, wife is of German descent, but in a Spanish speaking country so could also be Hispanic by cultural definition. Was tempted to type in, see attached photo, but selected both white and Hispanic. Actually, the only "white" person I have ever seen, was a ghost, but was actually a kid with a sheet over his head. KKK is also all white. Just another crazy question to maul over.

Filed: Other Timeline

And had Senator Kerry won the presidential race, we would have had the first white African American First Lady, as Mrs. Kerry is originally from South Africa, yet a naturalized USC. So much for the politically correct BS we have to put up with.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Oh yeah, I totally understand about this situation, as I myself have had to deal with stuff like this...

For example, my parents and grandparents are mixed races, my former maiden last name sounds/looks like one race, I was born in another country that is of another race, I grew up in another country with another race, and am now living in another country with another race....So let's see..that's many different backgrounds and races, and three different countries for me...What boxes do I check off? Lol...makes my life too complicated....And it sure confuses a lot out of people (and a lot of interesting questions along the way too from a lot of people...lol....)! "I'm multicultural!", I like to say to everyone!

"What's the big deal about asking about race and country of origin, here in America?"..... :angry:

I mean, overall, does it really matter what one's skin colour, ethnic background, country of origin, etc.? Why the need to categorize everyone in such a way? Seems kind of discriminatory, which is in contradiction of the American value of "equality to all"....

Ok, in situations like this, I find myself checking off the box "prefer not to answer", as a lot of other forms have such an option...

Though on the N-400 form, there is no such option...

So I checked of more than one box (I think I checked off 2-3 boxes total).....

And I also added the following box on my own, since they did not have such an option..."prefer not to answer- discriminatory question".....

Needless to say, it raised an eyebrow or two during my citizenship interview yesterday... :blink:

(I'll explain about that when I finish writing up about my interview experience review...)

My point is: When checking off the box, check off as many boxes as you can that accurately describes you...

Let them figure out as to what answer they really want..No harm done in saying that you are "more than one race" and "multicultural"....:)

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

Thank you.

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I do not understand why the government wants to see Middle Eastern people as white because that is not true. Perhaps in order to keep the number of minority people limited to few privileged groups? Whenever I am asked my race on a form, I put Asian,not white.

It is up to you whatever you want to put there.No one (incl. the government) can force you to declare this way or that way.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline
My husband is also from Algeria and has been told to check "white." I know it seems odd, but the US Gov't places people from the Middle East and N Africa in this category. I am sure there is a better source than this, but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States_Census

See the part under Census 2000.

I would have put 'African' there.No one can tell you how to define yourself.

I am now a US citizen.

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
I do not understand why the government wants to see Middle Eastern people as white because that is not true. Perhaps in order to keep the number of minority people limited to few privileged groups? Whenever I am asked my race on a form, I put Asian,not white.

It is up to you whatever you want to put there.No one (incl. the government) can force you to declare this way or that way.

Well, once again, from strict sceintific standpoint there are only 3 races:

- Caucasian (Indo-european), which includes native Europeans, Middle Easterners (both Arabs, non-Arab muslims and Jews) and Indians.

- Negroid, which includes native Africans (except Arabs of North Africa) and natives of Australia.

- Mongoloid, which includes Asians, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans (American Indians), and some small northern Nations such as Escimos.

In this strict definition, Middle Easterner would be considered of Caucasian race. However, the way this question is presented on most US forms is not accurate. This list is really a mix of races (such as Black or Asian) and ethnicities/ethnic origins (such as Hispanic or Pacific Islander) which are either part of one of the separately mentioned races or a mix of such.

That creates most of the confusion - while people of Mongoloid race get to choose between Asian, Hispanic and Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, basically based of their country of origin; Middle Easterners, Indians and people of native European decent get all piled up in one broad category "White". Plus, as Ant+D+A mentioned above, there is no accomodation for people of mixed race.

Some forms go even further into the world of PC nonsense and feature such ridiculous terms as "White (non-Hispanic)" or "Black (except Black Hispanic)" and so on. This just makes my head hurt...

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

K-1 Process

Fall 2005 I-129F Filed at VSC

Winter 2005 I-129F Recieved

02/06 Interview in Moscow Embassy - Approved!

03/06 K-1 visa recieved

03/06 POE NYC, EA stamped

04/06 Found a job (professional and relevant to education)!

04/06 Wedding!

AOS Process

04/06 Filed for I-485, EAD, AP at VSC

05/06 Biometrics taken

05/06 Letters to Congressmen and Senators to expedite EAD

06/06 EAD recieved

07/06 AP recieved (and never used)

10/06 AOS Interview - Approved, Passport stamped with I-551

11/06 2 year GC recieved!

ROC Process

07/08 I-751 Filed with VSC

08/06/08 NOA date

02/25/09 Transferred to CSC

02/26/09 Touched

02/27/09 Touched

03/01/09 Touched

03/17/09 Approved

03/20/09 Approval notice recieved

04/02/09 10 year GC recieved!

N-400 Process

07/28/09 N-400 Sent

07/29/09 N-400 Recieved in TX Lockbox

08/03/09 Check cashed

08/03/09 NOA Recieved, NOA date 07/29/09

08/21/09 Biometrics appointment - completed

10/15/09 Interview - Recommended for approval!

11/16/09 Oath Letter finally received (after numerous calls to our Senators)

12/10/09 Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN - Done with USCIS!!!

Timeline

Redneck-NOVA,

Indo-European is also the name of the family of languages, is not it? Turkish is not in this group of languages, therefore can not we say Turks are not Indo-European/Caucasian/White for example? As far as I know Turkish language belongs to Altay subcategory of Ural/Altay/Altai family of languages. More 'Mongoloid', more Asian.That is why I want to put Asian on forms' race box.Or Eurasian maybe. As you said, there is a group 'Pacific Islander', that is not a race.

I wonder what Jewish people think on this issue.Do they have to mark 'white' also?

Edited by internetkafe

I am now a US citizen.

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.