newlyweds

FEDEX

21 posts in this topic

what happened to the package though? well, my mom felt she had no choice so she just paid for it.. it was embarrassing sending a package for my family and then having those corrupt companies demand a tax payment for whatever.

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
so my hubby and i went on a tour to chocolate world, we bought a bunch of chocolates to send home and drove to fedex to have it expressed since he doesnt trust the ever doubtful postal system in the country ( he sent me a package thru united postal service once and it arrived after more than a month or maybe 2)

so i was so shocked we paid $212 for 12 lbs but he was like ok, we'll just deal with it .. and then the package arrived in effin manila and my mom was called by the local fedex in the city that they wil collect 1900 pesos for the package i was like ####### the stuff in that package would only amount to $70 why the heck would they want about $42 for tax??

has anyone ever experienced something like this? or is this one of the hocus pocus shenanigans that they have under their sleeve? does anyone know the % hey usually ask for the tax?

i did call up the toll number for fedexand they said for international packages, the country of destination may ask for tax but she said it is up to the fedex there....

and the friggin fedex people were askin my mom if the sender was her fiance since i put my husband's name there instead of mine.. i was like, was that a cue of the mentality that white people are always rich like they grow dollar bills in trees rich? it's so embarrassing...

maybe they thought that since the sender was a white guy and my parents house looked like a mansion in their eyes (ahahahha) they thought money is of no issue

It happened to us several times when my wife was still there in the Philippines and I was sending her some USA goods. She paid $100 for "tax" a few times too many, otherwise they wouldn't release her packages. Complained with fedex but apparently, they told us Philippine customs bill fedex. And now we only use LBC for sending balikbayan boxes with goods.

Edited by pnrmbr975

I have experienced something similiar when shipping something to PI.

My rule now, is I try to just bring it with me on the plane and not have to mess with customs and duty

I think another way to get around it , is to send a Balikbayan box.

TCO, I feel exactly the same way on this. BalikBox is the way to go: Send 85Lbs of ####### for about $60bucks, and never had a problem with it getting there (yes,it does take 6 weeks, so what), and never had these rip-off taxes and duties to pay. ANd how freekin' embarrassing is that to get a call from your girl saying that they told her to pay a tax on what you send her. For a lap top, iPod or Cell Phone or camera, just give Pinay the pesos for her to buy it there, or bring it with you on next rip. Less than romantic, yes, but she will soon forget that and just enjoy using these communication devices to talk to you with. Let's wise up people. In LDR's you gotta go with what works, and what is practical sometimes. Just keepin' it real!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

My rule now, is I try to just bring it with me on the plane and not have to mess with customs and duty

TCO, I feel exactly the same way on this. BalikBox is the way to go: Send 85Lbs of ####### for about $60bucks, and never had a problem with it getting there (yes,it does take 6 weeks, so what), and never had these rip-off taxes and duties to pay. ANd how freekin' embarrassing is that to get a call from your girl saying that they told her to pay a tax on what you send her. For a lap top, iPod or Cell Phone or camera, just give Pinay the pesos for her to buy it there, or bring it with you on next rip. Less than romantic, yes, but she will soon forget that and just enjoy using these communication devices to talk to you with. Let's wise up people. In LDR's you gotta go with what works, and what is practical sometimes. Just keepin' it real!

i wonder though if there's somewhere here where I can do the balikbayan box.. what company is it under? tried googling it.. nothing came up for our town.. the closest is philly and that's 2 hrs away.. oh well

Edited by newlyweds

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

i wonder though if there's somewhere here where I can do the balikbayan box.. what company is it under? tried googling it.. nothing came up for our town.. the closest is philly and that's 2 hrs away.. oh well

just find your nearest location http://www.lbcexpress.com/web/

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
so my hubby and i went on a tour to chocolate world, we bought a bunch of chocolates to send home and drove to fedex to have it expressed since he doesnt trust the ever doubtful postal system in the country ( he sent me a package thru united postal service once and it arrived after more than a month or maybe 2)

so i was so shocked we paid $212 for 12 lbs but he was like ok, we'll just deal with it .. and then the package arrived in effin manila and my mom was called by the local fedex in the city that they wil collect 1900 pesos for the package i was like ####### the stuff in that package would only amount to $70 why the heck would they want about $42 for tax??

has anyone ever experienced something like this? or is this one of the hocus pocus shenanigans that they have under their sleeve? does anyone know the % hey usually ask for the tax?

i did call up the toll number for fedexand they said for international packages, the country of destination may ask for tax but she said it is up to the fedex there....

and the friggin fedex people were askin my mom if the sender was her fiance since i put my husband's name there instead of mine.. i was like, was that a cue of the mentality that white people are always rich like they grow dollar bills in trees rich? it's so embarrassing...

maybe they thought that since the sender was a white guy and my parents house looked like a mansion in their eyes (ahahahha) they thought money is of no issue

same thing happened to us last september. fiance sent me some gifts for my birthday, he declared the amount because he said it's for the insurance, in case it gets lost. it took fedex about a week to deliver the package. and i had to pay 4700 pesos :angry: for the tax..they told me that the tax is high because of the amount of the items inside...

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.