Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

forecasting a bit of snow in the DC area on Saturday!!!!

Wow...it was 70 degrees when I was there three and a half weeks ago!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

9C right now.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
9C right now.

Yup, time to hit Harris Teeter and grab all the toilet paper, bread and milk!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Hey it stopped snowing. I guess that worked :)

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

9C right now.

Yup, time to hit Harris Teeter and grab all the toilet paper, bread and milk!

I love Harris Teeter!

It's kinda funny...when I was with my wife in Alexandria last month, I dropped her off at work in D.C. and drove back home, stopping by there on the way back to pick up some groceries. When I casually mentioned that I went to Harris Teeter for groceries she said, "Oh ho! So I see you're one of the upper class now and made of money!"

Okay, so it's more expensive than Giant and Shoppers etc., but it's STILL a lot cheaper that Canadian grocery stores!

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Timeline

Nicer stuff,more organic stuff! The one close to Dererkkj used to have great smoothies--then they did a reno and they closed to smoothie shop that was in the store! They were sooooooo good!!! and healthy.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Nicer stuff,more organic stuff! The one close to Dererkkj used to have great smoothies--then they did a reno and they closed to smoothie shop that was in the store! They were sooooooo good!!! and healthy.

Ya know, I did a bit of price comparison with Safeway and Giant and it wasn't that much different. For some stuff - beer! - they were actually cheaper. But we don't like any of the grocery stores, including HT, where we live now (just moved to Alexandria in September) and still go back to the HT in Arlington ever week. :blush: Plus, I still think that one of these days I am going to see Brooks Laich or Mike Green in the frozen food aisle.

It's all good though since we are closer to Trader Joe's, yay!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

I personally get sooooo tired of all the products being marketed under the Breast Cancer banner. If a company wants to donate money to support research etc - I think that's great and wonderful, but it ticks me off that they think that it is ok to use it as a marketing tool - it's not and I refuse to buy those products.

I wanted to buy my Niece a heated throw for Christmas, I bought her one last year and her friend ruined it. However the one I want is the Sunbeam, here is the description on Amazon:

Sunbeam Microplush Throw SlumberRest Electric Heated Warming Blanket, Pink Breast Cancer

Who wants a product that has Pink Breast Cancer as part of its description?? Does that make a good gift??

Men in a position to make decisions at these companies have tried to pull at the heartstrings of women by labelling their goods this way and i'm fed up. How about big posters in the mens underwear department with banners about how part of the money from your boxer purchase goes to support research about prostate cancer. Why don't they have a blue blanket - Sunbeam Microplush Throw SlumberRest Electric Heated Warming Blanket, Blue Prostate Cancer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9C right now.

Oh stop it - you know darn well people are getting retarded about it right now.

I love how NBC4 starts calling themselves 'Storn Centre'...your place to get reports on school closings and trafiic during the storm.......oh puhleeeeze. What a bunch of pusses.

I do have new winter coat I can probably wear for 5 minutes though

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I was at radioshack last week and bought batteries. the sales chick asked if i wanted to donate $1 to breast cancer, i said no, we already donate $$$ to charity!! So she stats saying, dont u want to help save a kiddies life, why not its only a $1!!! I hate that #######!! I hate when they ask you to donate $$, safeway does that as well! I rather donate on my own, that way I know the $$ gets there!

I'm still in shorts, and will be for pretty much the whole "winter" lol

Edited by Flames9_RN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was at radioshack last week and bought batteries. the sales chick asked if i wanted to donate $1 to breast cancer, i said no, we already donate $$$ to charity!! So she stats saying, dont u want to help save a kiddies life, why not its only a $1!!! I hate that #######!! I hate when they ask you to donate $$, safeway does that as well! I rather donate on my own, that way I know the $$ gets there!

Precisely - how do you know the money donated, extra dollar here and there...ever made it to that charity

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I'm still in shorts, and will be for pretty much the whole "winter" lol

So true flames :thumbs:

Just another marketing ploy. Oh Safeway or <whatever company> donated 9 gazillion dollars to <insert cause here> this year! We are the giving angels! Umm, I believe that might have been your customers?

Heh...I dropped a loonie into a Salvation Army person's bucket the other day, noticing that he was drinking a big Starbucks drink...

Obviously the money would be going to the Sally Ann, but I had a little internal chuckle, envisioning of the guy reaching in, grabbing five bucks and getting a macchiato or something. :P

Filed: Timeline
I personally get sooooo tired of all the products being marketed under the Breast Cancer banner. If a company wants to donate money to support research etc - I think that's great and wonderful, but it ticks me off that they think that it is ok to use it as a marketing tool - it's not and I refuse to buy those products.

I wanted to buy my Niece a heated throw for Christmas, I bought her one last year and her friend ruined it. However the one I want is the Sunbeam, here is the description on Amazon:

Sunbeam Microplush Throw SlumberRest Electric Heated Warming Blanket, Pink Breast Cancer

Who wants a product that has Pink Breast Cancer as part of its description?? Does that make a good gift??

Men in a position to make decisions at these companies have tried to pull at the heartstrings of women by labelling their goods this way and i'm fed up. How about big posters in the mens underwear department with banners about how part of the money from your boxer purchase goes to support research about prostate cancer. Why don't they have a blue blanket - Sunbeam Microplush Throw SlumberRest Electric Heated Warming Blanket, Blue Prostate Cancer.

Word. I also hate the fact that said companies will take all the credit for donating their customers' money. "Warming Blanket donated one hundred gazillion dollars to the breast cancer research foundation this year." Heck no.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I know we're talking about the weather and donation fatigue but I got a vent.

Yesterday I was commuting on the seabus to work when a red-head guy sat next to me and started chatting. I recognized him as the fellow who sat next to me last week, fidgeted during the whole 15 minutes ride, and when we disembarked, he asked why I didn't have my umbrella. Strange guy, I had thought of him that moment, went on to the next leg of my commute and thought nothing of it. Anyways, back to yesterday, the same dude sat right next and started chatting. Here's the convo:

Red-head: Hi! We meet again.

(I'm startled at the coincidence of meeting this guy again on a different day and different time)

Ravenesque: Hello.

Red-head: I'm Scott. What's your name?

(I give him my first name)

Red-head: I think you're pretty. No, I think you're beautiful!

Ravenesque: Thanks.

Red-head: I would like to ask you out. Are you married?

Ravenesque: YES!

Red-head: Oh, the good ones are taken. Are you HAPPILY married?

Ravenesque: YES!

Red-head: Any kids?

Ravenesque: SOON!

Awkward silence... and he starts to fiddle with his cell phone, complains about losing connection with wifi. Then he talks about being laid off as a counsellor and that the firm will be calling them back to work in January, that he doesn't want to talk about it (I'm thinking HELLO? You're the one talking about it), that his mom cheered him up by paying for his vacation to Palm Beach, blah blah blah.

I talk about the weather. He asks what I do for work, and I say IT professional.

Awkward silence...

He tells me two more times he thinks I'm beautiful.

I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable about my safety and start taking mental notes of his physical appearance (height, weight, race, hair, eye color, etc) and clothing.

The seabus reaches its destination finally and we disembark. Red-head walks next to me out of the port.

Red-head: Would you like to go for coffee?

(There's a Starbucks at the entrance of the port)

Ravenesque: NO!

And we part our ways through the crowd.

I told hubby about it and he dang near had a fit, lol. But seriously, when a woman says she's HAPPILY MARRIED, that the guy's cue to stop bugging her!

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.