Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Poprocks, is your husband's cat a siamese, burmese, birman or a breed like that? I had a birman for a long time and she was really sweet and smart, but incredibly dependant of me. Overly loyal. It didnt really cause any trouble but I remember sometimes thinking I wished she was a little more independant. Im pretty sure its a trait these types of cats share, to some degree. They act a lot like like dogs I find, when it comes to loyalty towards their master.

In any case, your husband's is strange and over the top! I still have cats now, and their most obnoxious behaviour doesnt come close to his!

People have given you great advice... much better than I could think of.

But, I was wondering also if maybe he would react differently if you smothered him with affection. Use some reverse psychology on that gaylover-cat.

And I totally understand your frustation. My fiance's brother's dog (female, and Matt has taken care of her a lot since she was a pup) gets jealous of me and whenever I get out of bed, she hurries up and jumps onto it and sits her big brown butt on my pillow. So obviously out of spite. Same thing on the couch, she jumps in my seat as soon as I get up. That ######.

Ha!! I got censored... I thought I was using the technical term! ;)

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Arggggggh. I hate insurance companies. The insurance company is saying that they probably won't be covering the loss of our boat because in their minds there was "no accident". Funny cause the Coast Guard doesn't usually rescue people unless something has went drastically wrong. :wacko:

On more sadly humorous note. The boat is adrift somewhere in the middle of the pacific, probably enjoying an unrestrained voyage to Tahiti. Seriously, we have no idea where she is. Last know was 60 miles off of Lanai.

Chris and I cannot win for trying this year. 2010 better come soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Arggggggh. I hate insurance companies. The insurance company is saying that they probably won't be covering the loss of our boat because in their minds there was "no accident". Funny cause the Coast Guard doesn't usually rescue people unless something has went drastically wrong. :wacko:

On more sadly humorous note. The boat is adrift somewhere in the middle of the pacific, probably enjoying an unrestrained voyage to Tahiti. Seriously, we have no idea where she is. Last know was 60 miles off of Lanai.

it wasn't taken under tow? :huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

No. Boat was in international waters, Coasties don't do that. Plus they were found with a helicopter, they placed a temp (12 hour) beacon on it and that was that.

Timeline

Insurance companies are such BS. I am sorry they're giving you guys a hard time. :(

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No. Boat was in international waters, Coasties don't do that. Plus they were found with a helicopter, they placed a temp (12 hour) beacon on it and that was that.

so the boat was just allowed to drift away? :blink:

and now the insurance company says a lost rudder isn't an accident? :huh:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
so the boat was just allowed to drift away? :blink:

and now the insurance company says a lost rudder isn't an accident? :huh:

Apparently that is normal to stick a beacon on it and let it drift. Since its a sailboat with limited fuel they weren't concerned about a fuel spill. We called a few tow companies, but most weren't willing to go out and search for the boat without exact GPS coordinate and assurance from our insurance that they would pay the costs. We certainly don't have $10,000 to find that damn thing.

As for the rudder, the first jerk compared it to the transmission blowing on a truck. :wacko:

In my mind, our situation it would be like the brakes going out on a car, overturning on the highway and bursting into flames.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yikes Mrs. Cat! Sorry about the loss of your boat! Insurance companies are nothing but crooks, I've learned that the hard way as well!

Poprocks, here are some really useful books that you might want either to invest in or check out at the Library (interlibrary loan). I actually recommend purchasing the first one on the list as it is a great resource for a lot of cat-related behaviour:

Outwitting Cats "Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Persuading the Felines in Your Life That What You Want Is also What They Want" by Wendy Christensen , The Lyons Press, Guilford Conneticut, 2004 $12.95 This is a really informative, at times funny and always easy to follow information and useful techniques involving cat psychology and instinctual behaviour - a great book!

Psycho Kitty? "Understanding Your Cat's Crazy Behaviour" by Pam Johnson-Bennett, The Crossing Press, Berkeley, California, 1998 $12.95 Discusses basic behaviour problems with cats, looking at the 'whys' of the behaviour and how to 'retrain' the cat by working with cat psychology.

What Cats Want by Claire Bessant, Barron's Educational Series, London, England, 2003 $10.95

The Cat Whisperer "The Secret of How To Talk To Your Cat" by Claire Bessant, Barron's Educational Series, London, England, 2001 $10.95

The last two are just good general introduction books to living with cats and trying to understand the relationship from the cat's point of view.

As I said, Outwitting Cats is the best one to get if you can. It even addresses shredding the toilet paper! (One of the tips given to defeat this behaviour - balance a small soda can filled with pennies or pebbles on top of the toilet roll - if the cat tries to scratch the roll it will fall off making a terrible racket and making him think this is not as much fun as he thought!). There is also a section on how to address feline jealousy :) .

Cats learn by a combination of aversion learning and positive reinforcement - basically you find ways to reward the desired behaviour and make the undesired behaviour non-profitable. Cats do not respond to discipline, however - that is a way to get an angry and upset cat who will still do the undesired behaviour.

Thanks I will look into them! and no the cat does not hide in the sheets cause he is scared...this is his favorite pastime...he hides under the cover of any bed and can sleep ALL DAY! That's all he does is sleep lol....I wonder if he can breath? obviously his choice is our bed...but cause he is not allowed in there...he sleeps in the spare bedroom...

Poprocks, is your husband's cat a siamese, burmese, birman or a breed like that? I had a birman for a long time and she was really sweet and smart, but incredibly dependant of me. Overly loyal. It didnt really cause any trouble but I remember sometimes thinking I wished she was a little more independant. Im pretty sure its a trait these types of cats share, to some degree. They act a lot like like dogs I find, when it comes to loyalty towards their master.

In any case, your husband's is strange and over the top! I still have cats now, and their most obnoxious behaviour doesnt come close to his!

People have given you great advice... much better than I could think of.

But, I was wondering also if maybe he would react differently if you smothered him with affection. Use some reverse psychology on that gaylover-cat.

And I totally understand your frustation. My fiance's brother's dog (female, and Matt has taken care of her a lot since she was a pup) gets jealous of me and whenever I get out of bed, she hurries up and jumps onto it and sits her big brown butt on my pillow. So obviously out of spite. Same thing on the couch, she jumps in my seat as soon as I get up. That ######.

Ha!! I got censored... I thought I was using the technical term! ;)

YES IT IS A SIAMESE!!!! And I heard they are a very needy breed....great...lol

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

Oh Geeze, a Siamese? Yes, they are a law onto themselves! They are very people oriented and can become very fixated on an individual. They can also be very opinionated, very vocal and very stubborn! I used to cat sit a Siamese that held me personally responsible for his owners' absence. You've never been properly glared at and treated with disdain until it is done by a Siamese!. :P

Sleeping under covers is a normal thing for cats as is sleeping all day so at least that isn't out of the ordinary. Is the apartment kept on the cooler side? Siamese like a warm environment so probably finds under the covers nice, snuggly and warm.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Oh my, that does suck!

What happened? I must have missed that post???

Unfortunately, the only time we truly know what we are insured for, is when we need it the most.

Is it that this type of loss is not insurable? Or that you guys did not purchase that type of coverage?

If you have a basic plan, I can see that 'disappearance' not be covered vs actual theft....Coverage must exist but perhaps much more expensive? i'm sorry to hear that :(

My husband, like many people, when buying insuarnce tried to skim on our home policy to get a lower premium...I had t talk him in to some better coverage...it cost more...but I didn't want to take any chances....

Maybe someone fishing will find it?

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

The past weekend has been nothing but lame family drama. My cousin, my husbands cousin. Right now, I am not a fan of cousins.

Sooo lame.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.