Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

I've always gotten my dogs from shelters. I don't know how many times myself, or someone in my family has gone to get one dog, and felt sorry for another dog because he was on his last day before euthenasia and took a second one home too. Mel had a little chihuahua that she brought down here and about 9 months ago, we decided to adopt another one. We went to a dog faire at a park and found one. It was actually from the county shelter that we adopted our dog peanut. She was very subdued and friendly and the shelter workers asured us that she was potty trained and 16-18 months old and in good health. So two days after we get her, we notice a cough and take her to the vet. Of course, it was kennel cough, which is common to shelters. Not only that, we discovered that she was a puppy, maybe 3-4 months old, and even worse, she was not even close to potty trained. We racked up about $350 in vet bills between her illness, and our other dog who got the cough from her. I was absolutely livid and called the county shelter to ask them why their personnel lied about every aspect of the dog. They are trained in this field and should have known better. Their only response was "well you can return the dog for a refund". ####### is that? It's a dog, a life, you don't throw it away because it's not exactly what you thought it was going to be. I'm still very very angry at the shelters, and other shelters. At this point, I would NOT go back to a shelter to get a dog.

Wow, I am shocked by this. I would definitely not paint all shelters with this brush though. I know many shelters would be appalled if one of their volunteers responded to your questions like that. Many no-kill shelters (which are the only ones I support) actually rescue dogs from the kill shelters that euthanize due to space issues. A lot of them would actually cover vet bills for the first couple of weeks too. They should have known that she had kennel cough. Did they provide you with a medical history of the dog when you adopted her? At 3-4 months was she even spayed? I mean, it's one thing for a shelter to get a dog randomly and not know the history of the dog, but most (all) reputable shelters will get the dog checked out, and most information about the dog, including age, will come from a vet, not just a shelter's guesstimate. It's one thing to not know a dog's exact breed/s, or not know if a dog is 2 yrs old or 3 yrs old, but the difference between 3-4 months and 16-18 months, I would think, is significant enough to know. I mean, mistakes happen, but the story you tell is just embarrassing for that shelter. Especially if they ALSO didn't know she wasn't potty trained. Geez.

I volunteer at a dog shelter here actually, and almost want to tell the folks there about that story...

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I am shocked by this. I would definitely not paint all shelters with this brush though. I know many shelters would be appalled if one of their volunteers responded to your questions like that. Many no-kill shelters (which are the only ones I support) actually rescue dogs from the kill shelters that euthanize due to space issues. A lot of them would actually cover vet bills for the first couple of weeks too. They should have known that she had kennel cough. Did they provide you with a medical history of the dog when you adopted her? At 3-4 months was she even spayed? I mean, it's one thing for a shelter to get a dog randomly and not know the history of the dog, but most (all) reputable shelters will get the dog checked out, and most information about the dog, including age, will come from a vet, not just a shelter's guesstimate. It's one thing to not know a dog's exact breed/s, or not know if a dog is 2 yrs old or 3 yrs old, but the difference between 3-4 months and 16-18 months, I would think, is significant enough to know. I mean, mistakes happen, but the story you tell is just embarrassing for that shelter. Especially if they ALSO didn't know she wasn't potty trained. Geez.

I volunteer at a dog shelter here actually, and almost want to tell the folks there about that story...

We were given a sheet that documented the shots that she was given and a checkup. There were no notes made regarding any health issues. When I spoke with one of the county supervisors regarding this, her response was that it was a common occurence when you have many animals housed together.

Some of the rescue societies I find absolutely repugnant. I went to one several years ago and they wanted me to first sign up for a membership fee of $75 per month while they tried to place a dog with me. Ummm no, I want to pick the dog I want, not you. I went to another one that had a membership fee as well, but they would let you pick the dog that you wanted. However, they wanted to do a home inspection, a series of interviews, a background check, and a credit check. Come on now, that's over the top. I know they mean well, but that is absurd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15072647?rvp=1

I think I'm in love. XD I'm going to ask my husband then inquire more about it. :B

More rants, sort of.

I kind of necro'd an old LGG thread, and she mentions an SRC number to check GC status. I'm completely lost. =[ HELP SOMEONE?

It's the receipt number on your welcome letter. It will allow you to check the status of your green card production on the USCIS site. :)

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15072647?rvp=1

I think I'm in love. XD I'm going to ask my husband then inquire more about it. :B

Awwww :D

I just came across this cutie: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16252644

I just want to hug her! There's an adoption fair on Saturday and her and her brother from the same litter are suposed to be there. Maybe I can convince my husband... But that's pretty unlikely. I want a dog but he's full of excuses why we shouldn't get one for a while. I'm a live for the day kinda gal!

It worked! Thanks so much. Now can you do something about my cats? They keep turning on my laptop and then surfing really inappropriate sites when I am not closely supervising them...unsure.gif

Teach them how to use incognito mode whistling.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey bern...

I answered you on FB, k? If you still have issues, PM okay?

G'luck...

:D

http://www.petfinder.../15072647?rvp=1

More rants, sort of.

I kind of necro'd an old LGG thread, and she mentions an SRC number to check GC status. I'm completely lost. =[ HELP SOMEONE?

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

It's Friday. I'd be excited but I have to get up at 5:00 am tomorrow to drive my little eager boy to Atlantic City for a hockey game. I hate AC hockey parents, they're pretty much nuts. Rude, loud and obnoxious. News flash... none of our kids are going to make it to the NHL.. it's just a game.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

So.... no 4 glasses of wine with me tonight?

:D

It's Friday. I'd be excited but I have to get up at 5:00 am tomorrow to drive my little eager boy to Atlantic City for a hockey game. I hate AC hockey parents, they're pretty much nuts. Rude, loud and obnoxious. News flash... none of our kids are going to make it to the NHL.. it's just a game.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Awwww :D

I just came across this cutie: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16252644

I just want to hug her! There's an adoption fair on Saturday and her and her brother from the same litter are suposed to be there. Maybe I can convince my husband... But that's pretty unlikely. I want a dog but he's full of excuses why we shouldn't get one for a while. I'm a live for the day kinda gal!

I don't know if this will work with your husband but about 2 years ago, I talked to my mom about getting a puppy. She was very against having a dog of any sort mainly because she's scared. So what I did one day was bring home a puppy, my beloved german shepherd/alaskan malamute, who I named Aries. :D

She nearly killed me LOL but she got so attached to it and she loves how Aries barks when someone even sets foot on our lawn. And ever since I moved to the US, the dog has become my mom's best friend and even watchs her filipino shows on the chesterfield with her. x)

20054_331736693823_514618823_469989.jpg

So my point is, sometimes randomly is the only way LOL

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

I am really started to hate my fridge its 1.5yrs old side by side. We haven't had any problems with it till now. Well it started about a month ago now and the repair guy has been out here 3 times now. First he thought it was this stupid plastic film that the manufactures put in the freezer that was causing us trouble, but nope it still didn't work right. Now here is the funny thing the fridge temperature gets warmer if the house gets warmer too. So we have to keep the AC going and a bit too cold for me. Then its OK for about a week then it goes through this cycle where it get so warm in there I have to get everything out and put it into coolers with ice. then after 2 days it gets cold again. Well the repair guy is at a lost he's called Samsung and they say its the sensor. Well we got the new sensor in it now and its been in for a few hours and it still doesn't even sound like its running I will give it a bit longer then I will call the guy again. BTW he didn't seem to think it was the sensor either, but he had to try I guess. I'm about ready to shove this fridge up Samsung's A$$.

I think I'm more ticked cause I really like this fridge, it had everything we wanted. I really need a big fridge with our family it has to be able to hold 4 jugs of milk and have plenty of space to put in large amounts of food. It took us awhile to find a fridge that fit us. I just want to scream I'm not ready to buy another fridge.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

so.... i'm a little irritated. My husband and I joined netflix about a month or two ago... well, he thought it'd be funny to throw another movie (WHICH I HATE, and have NO interest in watching) into our queue at the last minute without telling me, so now they're sending us this STUPID freaken movie instead of the one I actually scheduled to watch next (I actually worked really hard on organizing our queue in order to make it fair for both of us)... so now, with the weekend, I'll probably have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday to get a movie we can BOTH watch. I'm just pissed. This is the only way I get to see movies I haven't seen. It just seems really selfish to me. He KNOWS I would NOT want to watch that movie.

Sorry, I know that's a lame thing to complain about, but he's already irritating me enough lately, due to the other things I've vented about.. lol BLAH

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

I hate that too, I want at least 1 movie I want to watch then the other one I don't care what it is for the most part. Lately it has just been the kids and I who watch the movies though.

And its not lame to complain about it, with all the things you have been dealing with its better to complain and get it off your chest that way you don't explode.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

My husband and I don't watch movies.

Are we weird? :P

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I think you're annoyed with your husband for the job thing so the small things don't seem too small anymore Ashen. It's okay.

I watch movies, I usually run up our cable bill by ordering on-demand... I should look into netflix. My husband isn't a big movie watcher... but thats okay. I usually watch all my movies on Mondays when I am home alone.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.