Krikit

The Vent - Part Trois

3,930 posts in this topic

Yeah. One of my favorite CDs from last year (of ANY genre) was by an Italian metal band called Zu. No vocals, except for one song that had Mike Patton (of Faith No More, among other things) singing. But it's so well done! Really schizoid, but there's sort of a "fun" element to it. It's black metal done with keyboards, drums, bass and baritone sax, along with a BIT of guitar (but not a lot). If you like heavy, experimental and fun music, check out Carboniferous. :yes:

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A related rant: why do so many metal bands opt for the distorted, unintelligible "cookie monster" vocals? I'm not a metalhead, but I DO own probably about 100 albums that would be considered metal. I'd surely be MORE into metal if there were more "clean" vocals a la Tool. I still love some bands that have the "cookie monster" vox (Opeth being my favorite), but can't help but wish more metal bands would do the same heavy, grinding, complex music with intelligible lyrics!

That is like asking "why don't hip hop artists speak in plain english?". :rolleyes:

That is like asking "why don't hip hop artists speak in plain english?". :rolleyes:

Not really. There are several examples out there of death metal bands with clean vocals. Opeth, for instance, goes back and forth between clean and "cookie monster" vocals... Ulver too. I just wish more would.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not really. There are several examples out there of death metal bands with clean vocals. Opeth, for instance, goes back and forth between clean and "cookie monster" vocals... Ulver too. I just wish more would.

It's older metal, but I can pretty clearly understand Quiet Riot lyrics.

I picked up the NASCAR on FOX "Crank It Up" CD back in '02, and while the first half has some pretty cool hard rock covers, the second half of the CD was all "cookie monster" metal vocals, as you put it. I don't listen to that half of the CD much, if ever. :P

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

God I hate pop music. Seriously, I need to charge my iPod and stop listening to the radio.

Amen.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Timeline

It is exactly like asking why hip hop don't speak in plain english. That is the way that they choose to sing their lyrics, for their fans, not you. You either like it, or you don't. Complaining that they should sing more clearly because they are hard to understand is like asking why does lil wayne call money, cheddar? Does it make sense? Not necissarily, but his fans like it and thats all that matters. I have a friend who plays in a band that playes that sort of music (The Depths). I had similar complaints and he kept telling me, see it live and you'll understand. I did, and now I do. It's the energy and the message of the show and the music.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In other news -- I have a problem. I find that in the US there is a plethora of cool/interesting/weird products that I am obsessed with looking at. Today, buying yoghurt at the store, I had to buy a box of Good & Plenty but the spicy kind. Just sick. Freaking sickest candy I ever ate. BUT, I had to buy it because I was like, oooh, cool, I never saw that in Canada. The flavours of gum and chips and nuts, the different kinds of food and SO, SO, SOOO much of it. I fear that when i drive and go to the grocery store, it's gonna be a sh1tshow of buying ridiculous things.

That is my vent and I am sticking to it. OH and if you like the Good & Plenty candies, do NOT buy Good & Spicy.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In other news -- I have a problem. I find that in the US there is a plethora of cool/interesting/weird products that I am obsessed with looking at. Today, buying yoghurt at the store, I had to buy a box of Good & Plenty but the spicy kind. Just sick. Freaking sickest candy I ever ate. BUT, I had to buy it because I was like, oooh, cool, I never saw that in Canada. The flavours of gum and chips and nuts, the different kinds of food and SO, SO, SOOO much of it. I fear that when i drive and go to the grocery store, it's gonna be a sh1tshow of buying ridiculous things.

That is my vent and I am sticking to it. OH and if you like the Good & Plenty candies, do NOT buy Good & Spicy.

Haha. I do that especially in the produce market.

Stores around here have been adding more and more "cultural" produce. Peachey constantly tells me to stop buying random odd shaped/colored veggies and fruits and trying to figure out what on earth you're supposed to do with them.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

My husband chews with his mouth open from time to time... all the people in this house do. It's so gross. I'm always telling him to shut his mouth when he eats. Or I just dont look at him the whole meal.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband does it too! So does his dad. It's sooo gross. The first time I went out to eat with him I was kind of horrified...:lol:

He has quieted down, he doesn't make the smacking noise now, so I do avoid looking at him... he say's it's because he can't breathe out his nose.

My FIL though.. he smacks and chews and it's gross. I can't stand it.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My husband does it too! So does his dad. It's sooo gross. The first time I went out to eat with him I was kind of horrified...:lol:

He has quieted down, he doesn't make the smacking noise now, so I do avoid looking at him... he say's it's because he can't breathe out his nose.

My FIL though.. he smacks and chews and it's gross. I can't stand it.

Deviated septum FTL.

My husband blames the exact same thing, he cant breathe from his nose when he's eating.

My parents keep telling me to just let it go, but I can't! It's so gross. :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.