JimVaPhuong

Slow to get an interview in HCM...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If any employees of the consulate in HCM are reading this, forgive my impatience, but #######!?!? :wacko:

I was under the impression that scheduling a visa interview was a matter of picking the next available date on the calendar, and mailing out the interview invitation letter along with packet 4.

Phuong sent her DS-230's and DS-2001 on October 7th.

On October 18th I emailed the consulate to confirm whether they'd received her documents and scheduled an interview.

On October 20th the consulate responded that they'd received her documents, and would schedule an interview "at the earliest opportunity". They further advised she would be notified by mail when the interview had been scheduled, and that I could "contact us at the end of each month for further information about the appointment date".

On October 29th, I sent a reply to the consulate, thinking it's pretty much the end of the month, again inquiring about the interview date.

On November 8th (November 9th in Vietnam) I received the following reply:

The beneficiary’s case is pending an interview date. Please note that the interview will be set from 1-3 months after we received the DS-230 Part I. As indicated in our previous response, you may wish to contact us again at the end of each month for further information about the interview date.

Ok, I can understand if they had to schedule the interview for a few months out because they're backlogged or because of the holidays, but why do they need so much time just to pick an interview day? Do they conduct some sort of preliminary investigation prior to scheduling the interview?

I'm sitting here counting the days and watching the price of airline tickets go up every day. If they end up scheduling her for the week before Christmas then the only thing left will be first class at full fare! :help:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I read Vietnam forum almost they got packet 4 since 3-4 weeks after packet3 before . my friend just took 2 weeks for get packet 4 and interview date. But i think this month that is almost end of year,so consulate are busy. Wait for 1 more week , i trust u will get it soon. Some friends from Vietnam forum same as your case, so dont worry. Good luck to you !

IR1 - processed from 02/12/2008 to 12/08/2009

INTERVIEW : JAN 21-2010- GOT PINK

VISA IN HAND : FEB 4,2010

MOVED TO USA : FEB 6,2010

10 YEARS GC IN HAND : MARCH 13,2010

Timeline

we did not get an actual appointment letter until 2 weeks before the interview. We have to go and pick it up. I dont know if they just forgot or it's the problem with the mail system.

Luckily i email them before hand....know the interview date thru email 1 month in advance

Linh & Ngan

Jim, I believe that they do actually perform additional screening/checking/analysis in VN before scheduling your interview. So the rate at which you get notified is based upon the speed at which data is returned to them, the number of cases in the stack ahead of you, the number of people out sick (H1N1, etc) and the speed of the snail mail to your SO's home.

My recollection is that it takes about 3-4 weeks after you turn in Packet 3 to get a date and that date is another 4-6 weeks in the future. You are just coming up on 3 weeks so you will likely hear in the next week or so. I would think your interview would be around the week before Christmas.

Timeline
Jim, I believe that they do actually perform additional screening/checking/analysis in VN before scheduling your interview. So the rate at which you get notified is based upon the speed at which data is returned to them, the number of cases in the stack ahead of you, the number of people out sick (H1N1, etc) and the speed of the snail mail to your SO's home.

My recollection is that it takes about 3-4 weeks after you turn in Packet 3 to get a date and that date is another 4-6 weeks in the future. You are just coming up on 3 weeks so you will likely hear in the next week or so. I would think your interview would be around the week before Christmas.

Thanks. It's actually been over a month since she sent in the packet 3 forms. It's been three weeks since I first contacted the consulate to see if they'd received the forms, and it took them a couple of days to respond.

If they schedule her for the week before Christmas then we'll probably reschedule. It will be impossible for me to get an airline ticket for anything other than first class, which will pretty much suck up my budget for the entire trip. Also, we'd only be a couple of weeks from her daughter's 18th birthday, which would make the effort to get the quit claim pretty much pointless.

On the other hand, if we reschedule and they put us two months further out, that will put us in the middle of Tet. :huh:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why don't you just schedule your trip? I mean, I understand you want to be there for her, but you're not going to be able to go in and interview with her so there's not really any point to being there except for encouragement and support.

I wouldn't completely rely on the HCM scheduling if you want a cheap trip...just take the trip and hope that it coincides with her interview.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just got off the phone with DoS.. it appears that HCMC is dragging thier feet in a major way.. They have had my case based on DHL records since 10/26.. but they have not entered the fact that they have it, into the system.. so until that happens I cant send DS230 etc... I asked her about your case and Dougs.. She said for you guys to call her and she can tell you what is in the system to avoid the time lag on emails from the consulate... 202-663-1225.. then press1, 5, and then 0... that will get you through to her or another CSR that has access to the same computer system that HCMC uses... She can see if pkt 4 was sent, pkt 3 was sent and even see if the interview has been scheduled and what date... a 3 or 4 minute call can give you a little peace of mind, but I am of the same mindset that you are in that they are dragging the feet at the moment.. possibly to lighten the load during the holidays...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline
Just got off the phone with DoS.. it appears that HCMC is dragging thier feet in a major way.. They have had my case based on DHL records since 10/26.. but they have not entered the fact that they have it, into the system.. so until that happens I cant send DS230 etc... I asked her about your case and Dougs.. She said for you guys to call her and she can tell you what is in the system to avoid the time lag on emails from the consulate... 202-663-1225.. then press1, 5, and then 0... that will get you through to her or another CSR that has access to the same computer system that HCMC uses... She can see if pkt 4 was sent, pkt 3 was sent and even see if the interview has been scheduled and what date... a 3 or 4 minute call can give you a little peace of mind, but I am of the same mindset that you are in that they are dragging the feet at the moment.. possibly to lighten the load during the holidays...

Great news!!! it worked for Doug as he just called them.. they have an interview in 24 days... you are next Jim!!! :thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Great news!!! it worked for Doug as he just called them.. they have an interview in 24 days... you are next Jim!!! :thumbs:

Thanks, Scott! It worked for me too! :dance:

Interview is on December 15. Apparently, it was scheduled today (yesterday), probably after they sent the response to my email. Now the REAL pressure begins. :o

Timeline

Goodluck finding cheap airfare & requesting time off... :)

My sister purchased her tickets to Vietnam for 12/19/09 for ~$1,400 a ticket!! :P:( (from Houston)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

Great news guys!!!!! :dance:

Timeline

My sister purchased her tickets to Vietnam for 12/19/09 for ~$1,400 a ticket!! :P:( (from Houston)

Requesting time off... :rofl: aren't you self employed Jim?

Timeline

Requesting time off... :rofl: aren't you self employed Jim?

I do own a business, but it's a part time venture and it doesn't pay the bills (maybe someday :whistle: ). In the meantime, I work for a big software company as a programmer. My boss has been pretty cool about giving me time off so far (this will be my fourth this year!), and I've still got vacation time accrued, so hopefully he'll be cool this time too.

Timeline

Man.. you have vacation time like you work for the Government

Timeline

hey hey hey now... let's not bash government employees... :P hehehe (I'm one...)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.