cmboothe

US Citizen born out of country - Parents citizens

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I was born in Guatemala City, Guatemala but both of my parents are US Citizens. We moved back to the US before I was 3. Is this going to be a problem in getting a K1 visa? Will they be looking at my paperwork more closely? What kind of documentation do I need to prove that I am a US citizen?

I have read the guides and faqs, but am still unclear about this issue.

Thanks so much!

-Marie

Marie Boothe & Dermot O'Mahony

January 2005: Met in Church

March 2006: Dermot's first visit to the AZ desert!

June 2006: I'm back in Ireland

23 July 2006: Engaged!

2 August: Back in Arizona without Dermot

15 August: NOA1 receipt in mail

4 October: wishing and hoping

12 October: visit to Ireland and my fiance

16 October: touched! someone did something

with our case! no change in status though.

2 November: NOA2!!!

1 February: Dermot is back in the good old USA

10 March: Married at last! - no more goodbyes

31 March: AOS mailed

3 May: I-485, Request for Initial Evidence recieved.

20 May: RIE mailed

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi!

My husband was born in France, on a US Air Force Base, his Dad was a US-Citizen, his Mom a German Citizen then. This was back in 1957! :lol:

We had no trouble whatsoever so far. We handed in his passport and his "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America" document for proof of his citizenship.

Here's a link that might be helpful also... http://travel.state.gov/family/family_issu.../birth_593.html

Good luck with your journey!

Carla

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad that was issued to you after you were born. Your parents would have had to apply for it...

If not, you'll have to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship by filling out a N-600 form from the USCIS or apply for a passport. You should probably get both.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was born in Spain with American parents. Your passport is proof enough that you are a US citizen however, if you don't have a passport you will probably need a consular report of birth abroad to get your passport. A consular report of birth abroad is equivalent to a birth certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

All this takes time so don't waste any. Since I see you already met him then I guess you won't need a passport. If you don't have a passport or consular report of birth abroad then you will need some other way to prove your citizenship. For me it was easiest to get form DS-1350(from the dept of State) also called "Certification of Report of Birth of a United States Citizen" it also proves you are a citizen but is easier to get than a consular report of birth abroad. If you already have a passport then you have all the proof you need. But double check yourself because it has been a year since I had to get my passport/certification of report of birth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My parents were US Citizens. I will have to write them and see if they requested a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and if not, then I think I will try to get extra documentation. I do have my passport, and had no trouble with that at all, but more documentation can't hurt, can it?

Thanks for the replies, they definitely make me feel a lot more reassured and confident.

-Marie

Marie Boothe & Dermot O'Mahony

January 2005: Met in Church

March 2006: Dermot's first visit to the AZ desert!

June 2006: I'm back in Ireland

23 July 2006: Engaged!

2 August: Back in Arizona without Dermot

15 August: NOA1 receipt in mail

4 October: wishing and hoping

12 October: visit to Ireland and my fiance

16 October: touched! someone did something

with our case! no change in status though.

2 November: NOA2!!!

1 February: Dermot is back in the good old USA

10 March: Married at last! - no more goodbyes

31 March: AOS mailed

3 May: I-485, Request for Initial Evidence recieved.

20 May: RIE mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.