mikey78

POE review - Pearson airport Toronto

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys!

After my passport drama with Canada Post, all I wanted was a light POE experience. I was catching an early morning (6.30am) flight to NYC from Toronto Pearson. I figured that I need to be at the airport at least 3h before the flight which turned out to be too early because AA agents show up around 4am and the US immigration opens for business only at 4.30am...no reason really to be there before that.

The good thing about going thru POE in the very morning was that the US Border and Customs booths were fully staffed so there were turning around all the morning crowd real fast. First, I gave my envelope and my passport to the guy in a booth and he fingerprinted me, scanned my passport, put my docs in a folder and sent me to a secondary. When I walked in there, I saw 3 other people sitting there but none of them was there for immigration reasons. There were 2 officers at their respective counters, one of them accepted my docs, scanned my fingerprints again and asked me to sit down and wait until my name was called. About 10 mins later he called me in, asked to sign a form, dipped my index finger in ink and printed it on the form next to my signature. Amazing as it is, I was being fingerprinted for the third time this day! He asked me to take a sit again and probably after 5 mins he asked me to take my bags, gave me my passport back, asked if I had any food (of course I didn't) so he wrote something on my customs declaration and then said 'That's all, go straight ahead and make it left"...It all took maybe 20mins total. No questions asked. Formal courtesy and great efficiency. This is when I thought to myself, uneventful is good ;)

I still had plenty of time to get some breakie, chill, pet myself on the back and welcome myself to the US :)

One things that I saw people asking all the time on VJ is whether you need to have your Xray with you at any point...my experience is that the consulate doesn't need it and no one at the border cares about it either. So, it's all yours to keep. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations Mikey78 - and welcome to the US!

Yes, you're right about the x-rays - they're a souvenir of the process. I gave mine to my new doctor in the US to have as a baseline.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome Mikey!

Kathryn, that's a great idea! I'll have to remember to do that for the hubbs.

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Welcome Mikey!

Kathryn, that's a great idea! I'll have to remember to do that for the hubbs.

Congrats on a smooth POE!

Welcome to the US!

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats Mikey!!!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you thank you thank you :)

New York greeted me with fab weather, home made food and lotsa "how good it is over"...my mom was like: I would've gone mad if it took one more month...and it's not because of the wait...she was just sick listening to me going on and on how nerver wracking the whole experience is ;) Luckily, you all here were much more patient!

What would I do without VJ? :luv:

Oh Toronto Secondary.

Not very fond memories of that place for me :lol:

Thanks for the review though!

I'm flying out later at night from Pearson, I hope it's just like it was for you.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Mikey78,

Congratulations on a successful POE from Toronto to NYC!

Welcome to back home to America and welcome to New York State, Mikey78!... :star:

It was definitely worth it after such a long wait, indeed! Still can't believe that you had to wait 7yrs to be an American!

Now you can travel easier, as you can be in the same line with your family too.

Lol..I still think they should have just automatically given you American Citizenship right away, despite your age, as your parent was an American...Doesn't seem fair that way..oh well..that's immigration for you...

Now that you have your green card, do you still have to apply for US Citizenship? Or do you directly become a US Citizen, since your parent is a US Citizen? Wonder how that works....Apply for N-600 or directly a US Passport? Hmm.....

Good luck with the rest of your journey too.

Ant

Hi guys!

After my passport drama with Canada Post, all I wanted was a light POE experience. I was catching an early morning (6.30am) flight to NYC from Toronto Pearson. I figured that I need to be at the airport at least 3h before the flight which turned out to be too early because AA agents show up around 4am and the US immigration opens for business only at 4.30am...no reason really to be there before that.

The good thing about going thru POE in the very morning was that the US Border and Customs booths were fully staffed so there were turning around all the morning crowd real fast. First, I gave my envelope and my passport to the guy in a booth and he fingerprinted me, scanned my passport, put my docs in a folder and sent me to a secondary. When I walked in there, I saw 3 other people sitting there but none of them was there for immigration reasons. There were 2 officers at their respective counters, one of them accepted my docs, scanned my fingerprints again and asked me to sit down and wait until my name was called. About 10 mins later he called me in, asked to sign a form, dipped my index finger in ink and printed it on the form next to my signature. Amazing as it is, I was being fingerprinted for the third time this day! He asked me to take a sit again and probably after 5 mins he asked me to take my bags, gave me my passport back, asked if I had any food (of course I didn't) so he wrote something on my customs declaration and then said 'That's all, go straight ahead and make it left"...It all took maybe 20mins total. No questions asked. Formal courtesy and great efficiency. This is when I thought to myself, uneventful is good ;)

I still had plenty of time to get some breakie, chill, pet myself on the back and welcome myself to the US :)

One things that I saw people asking all the time on VJ is whether you need to have your Xray with you at any point...my experience is that the consulate doesn't need it and no one at the border cares about it either. So, it's all yours to keep. :)

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went through Pearson as well, very cordial and professional!

Welcome to the US! Congrats on a smooth entry

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.