Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I for one will be waiting up until the 90 days to marry Marlon but he wants to marry as soon as he gets here so he will be able to work sooner. I want to wait to be sure I can save a little money for a nice little wedding as well as look for a nicer and bigger apartment.

Good compromise would be to let him enter throgh JFK so that he gets a work permit when he gets here. They are good for 90 days. Or maybe do not have him come here as soon as he gets the visa. Work on the stuff you need to work on and then have him come to the US before the visa expires. If I am not mistaken, you need to be marraid within 90 days of his arrival, not 90 days of the visa. In that way so long as he is here before the visa expires, you will still have time to save up for the big wedding without having him just sitting here doing nothing. You know how Jamaican men can be a bit proud.

That is some sound advice, thanks for that! Your wisdom and experience are always appreciated! As far as a big wedding, eh, I am just going to do the courthouse thing for $50.00 and I can have as many people attend as I want and can decorate as well. A bigger wedding will happen later God willing. My best friend is going to throw the reception for me and I have some great co-workers who want to plan something as well. So therefore I have decided to marry shortly after he arrives with his visa and go from there. I guess I am having pre-wedding jitters! lol Thanks again for your input and I am sure I will be asking many more questions and or needing advice!

I love my VJ Yardie family! (L)

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, you are giving ANY (young) Jamaican THEIR LIFE DREAM, to come here to the states and have someone pay for their OWN place, food, lights, cable ...actually anything and to NOT HAVE to "live like the family" they KNEW they were coming here to do in the 1st place??????????????? Just sounds crazy to me !!!!

Just my honest opinion from someone who has been there and done that !!!!! Who are you marrying your family or your fiance??

I can't take this anymore. Why do you insist on thinking that every Jamaican is as worthless as the man you married??? You are a trip!!!! I am sick and tired of reading your whining!!!! GET DIVORCED and get over yourself!!!!!! More reasons for you to all dislike me now. I am a YOUNG Jamaican, with 2 degrees (I have proof!) and I have owned my own home for the last 4.5 years that my American husband and I are going to move into (we curently live in his in Ct but we are moving to Atl). I have shown some of these posts to my husband and his response: "Now you know why I did not marry an American woman." Drama! Drama! Drama!

I am sorry if I have offended some of you but I am a fiercely proud Jamaican and I DO NOT like some of the negative insinuations and false generalizations! This is the last time I will visit this forum. It is supposed to be of some assistance to the people going through this process but it has evolved into something else... and it is VILE!

One Love!

Edited by shermike

3/27/06 Got Married - Whopeee!!!!!

4/06/06 Mailed I-130 only (Not ready to mail other documents yet)

4/12/06 NOA1 on I-130

7/20/06 Mailed AOS Package (I-485, I-765, I-864, no medical documents)

7/25/06 I-130 Approved

7/27/06 NOA1

8/15/06 Biometrics

8/21/06 Completed Medical - $250.00 - Yikes!!!!

8/24/06 Received Medical report from Doctor

8/28/06 Mailed RFE to Lees Summit - Medical

9/05/06 Touched (I-485) - Received Medical

9/09/06 Touched (I-485)

9/23/06 Touched (I-130)

9/23/06 Touched (I/765) Approved

9/28/06 Touched (I-765)

10/2/06 Received EAD Card

10/3/06 Touched (1-765)

10/21/06 Received Interview date - 12/06/06

12/04/06 Touched I-485 & I-765

12/06/06 Approved pending name check - bummer!!! - So the AO says

02/03/07 59 days and counting since interview....

02/09/07 Best touch ever!!!! Got welcome notice emails!!!!

02/12/07 Touched (I-485)

02/13/07 Touched (I-485)

02/14/07 Touched & Emails ("We ordered the production of your card...")

02/20/07 Card received in the mail!!!!!! Yay!!!!

Lifting Conditions

12/09/2008 Mailed package

12/18/2008 NOA 1

1/06/2009 Biometrics

1/07/2009 Touched

5/17/2009 Approved!!!!

6/12/2009 Card produced. No status change on the website.

6/20/2009 Received card in the mail

Citizenship (Final Leg)

11/16/2009 Mailed package

11/18/2009 USCIS received package

11/20/2009 NOA1

11/24/2009 Check cashed

01/06/2010 Biometrics

03/01/2010 Interview - Passed!!!

03/26/2010 Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
If I was the Jamaican fiance and you came to me with a proposal like this............you will get a rather rude crash course in Jamaican patois and it would not sound good.

Why are we able to find humour in the most serious of circumstances? I love this thread. :yes:

This did make me laugh out loud. :lol: I know the situation is not really funny but that comment put a little lighthearted humor on the serious situation. I do agree with both sides on this though. You shouldn't uproot a person on the idea of marriage in a foreign country if you really haven't worked out all the kinks yet. But then again you shouldnt through "some man" into your daughters comfort zone just cause YOU love him. Your child should always come first when the relationship is this young. You don't want your daughter, who didnt ask to be in the situation feel as if her opinion doesn't even matter. Especially a matter that will truly change her life as much as yours.

I think this entire relationship needs a little more foundation building time, before any moving and apartments or whatever happen. My opinion of course, I dont mean to offend each other. BUt as an outsider looking in, this seems to have red flags all over the place and its quite scary that someone may truly be hurt. :(

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
You know how Jamaican men can be a bit proud.

A bit, is an understatement. I made a very big mistake waiting and assuming everthing would go smoothly for us. I wish I had paid the extra money foy my hubby to fly through JFK and get that stamp. or at least filed for his work permit right away. It would have saved us. him soo much heart ache.

I'm really glad I found this website, cause i am learning so much from those before me. The whole having to wait to work thing really bothers both me and Evan so that was yet another reason that we decided to get married now and file the Cr1. We just want to get the paperwork out of the way, so that when he gets here we can get straight to it.....to our new lives togther, free from the stress of immigration papers all the time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Anyone know the best way to open my hubby's daughters case? I have asked in another forum. Her K1 or is it K2 expired? What forms do I fiil out?

Her K2 expires a year after your husband's POE. If it did then you will have to file a I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.

Thanks!!! How are you???

Not good. Today I cld the congressman office to tell them the good news about my approval but they told me something else. She said she recv'd an answer from CSC which states my case is pending. She also told me that my receipt # is incorrect. :blink: I was like WHAT...HOW???? Looks like I had a different receipt # up on my porfolio then what was on the NOA1. How could I have mixed that up??? I was off by two digits, my data entry must have been off on that day. :unsure: I normally log into my acct vs entering in the receipt # since I dont' have it memorized. She said to look on the bright side b/c it just means my approval is around the corner. I feel so depress right now.... :crying: I have to call Javon but I don't know if I can. I also asked her how she knew it was wrong and she said I told her a different # from what was on my ppwrk I faxed to her. You guys have been so supportive and now I feel so empty. It's been 2 yrs in the making and I'm starting to feel it's never going to happen. :(

How, dissapointing. I am so sorry. What a emotional rollercoaster this is. :( :(

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Timeline
Any successful interviewee's receive their passports yet?

Hey Darlene,

I dont think any of us who are waiting has even heard from Airpack yet!!!

Texas - 22 days,

Sonshnye - 10 days

Me and LovingJA - 5 days

This is as bad as it was waiting or the interviews to start....UGGGHHHH

How are you and Bert doing? Hope you are well. Say hi to Sus for me.

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Timeline
You know how Jamaican men can be a bit proud.

A bit, is an understatement. I made a very big mistake waiting and assuming everthing would go smoothly for us. I wish I had paid the extra money foy my hubby to fly through JFK and get that stamp. or at least filed for his work permit right away. It would have saved us. him soo much heart ache.

I'm really glad I found this website, cause i am learning so much from those before me. The whole having to wait to work thing really bothers both me and Evan so that was yet another reason that we decided to get married now and file the Cr1. We just want to get the paperwork out of the way, so that when he gets here we can get straight to it.....to our new lives togther, free from the stress of immigration papers all the time.

Trust me, the wait is not long on a K-i. My fiance came through JFK in Nov and got a work permit for 90 days. She started working one month after she arrived and got her green card within the 90 days so there was no break in employment. You follow the instructions and you will not have any problems on a K-1 getting to work when they get here. The wait is shorter anyway.

Timeline
Also, you are giving ANY (young) Jamaican THEIR LIFE DREAM, to come here to the states and have someone pay for their OWN place, food, lights, cable ...actually anything and to NOT HAVE to "live like the family" they KNEW they were coming here to do in the 1st place??????????????? Just sounds crazy to me !!!!

Just my honest opinion from someone who has been there and done that !!!!! Who are you marrying your family or your fiance??

I can't take this anymore. Why do you insist on thinking that every Jamaican is as worthless as the man you married??? You are a trip!!!! I am sick and tired of reading your whining!!!! GET DIVORCED and get over yourself!!!!!! More reasons for you to all dislike me now. I am a YOUNG Jamaican, with 2 degrees (I have proof!) and I have owned my own home for the last 4.5 years that my American husband and I are going to move into (we curently live in his in Ct but we are moving to Atl). I have shown some of these posts to my husband and his response: "Now you know why I did not marry an American woman." Drama! Drama! Drama!

I am sorry if I have offended some of you but I am a fiercely proud Jamaican and I DO NOT like some of the negative insinuations and false generalizations! This is the last time I will visit this forum. It is supposed to be of some assistance to the people going through this process but it has evolved into something else... and it is VILE!

One Love!

I feel you . Do not give up on the people on here. Sometimes love makes us do odd things and I think some people just get a bit carried away. i agree that not every Jamaican dreaming of the streets paved with gold. I think the comments just got ahead of her.

Timeline
I for one will be waiting up until the 90 days to marry Marlon but he wants to marry as soon as he gets here so he will be able to work sooner. I want to wait to be sure I can save a little money for a nice little wedding as well as look for a nicer and bigger apartment.

Good compromise would be to let him enter throgh JFK so that he gets a work permit when he gets here. They are good for 90 days. Or maybe do not have him come here as soon as he gets the visa. Work on the stuff you need to work on and then have him come to the US before the visa expires. If I am not mistaken, you need to be marraid within 90 days of his arrival, not 90 days of the visa. In that way so long as he is here before the visa expires, you will still have time to save up for the big wedding without having him just sitting here doing nothing. You know how Jamaican men can be a bit proud.

That is some sound advice, thanks for that! Your wisdom and experience are always appreciated! As far as a big wedding, eh, I am just going to do the courthouse thing for $50.00 and I can have as many people attend as I want and can decorate as well. A bigger wedding will happen later God willing. My best friend is going to throw the reception for me and I have some great co-workers who want to plan something as well. So therefore I have decided to marry shortly after he arrives with his visa and go from there. I guess I am having pre-wedding jitters! lol Thanks again for your input and I am sure I will be asking many more questions and or needing advice!

I love my VJ Yardie family! (L)

Trust me the $250.00 we spent on our wedding was a steal of a deal. My wife got her green card in 90 days and we are still enjoying the honeymoon. Do what makes you comfortable . Get the big wedding later after you get immigration off your back.

Timeline

One Love!

LOL!! Ha Ha! I gotta say, I LOVE THIS GIRL! You are so right about the stereotypes that are thrown around. Its so sad to read sometimes, and it does honestly get to me also and I am not even Jamaican. But I am from a race and culture that gets treated in the same stereotypical way. The stereotypes that are displayed on this forum are valid but only to that person they are happening to! In that sense, to them its not a stereotype, its a REALITY. The problem comes in when those living in that reality start to throw it out to others as a warning of WILL happen in your relationship. It starts to get and sound very negative and is very much a downer, when you happen to be with a person who doesnt fit the bill of THEIR reality what so ever!

I think just because your man in Jamaican, or you have known other Jamaican men, doesnt mean you know and understand THE PEOPLE! It is a very much an AMERICAN attitude to think this way, I just hope that people start to realize that and understand that some of their comments to sound a bit racist and prejudiced because they are so stereotypical.

My 50 cent :blush:

Timeline

One Love!

Your honest is GREATLY appreciated :thumbs:

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

One Love!

I commented on attitudes like the comment you`ve highlighted an was told that people were just tallking about `their` experiences.....But I would whole-heartedly agree with you - people NEED to stop stereotyping! Because you have a few Jamaican friends and happen to have a Jamaican man, does NOT make you an authority on Jamaicans as a whole!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline

One Love!

Do you have children? If so, how old? Remind me how old you are again?

If you can't take it anymore, do not read what we (or I guess what "I") have to say. I am NOT whining goofball, so get over YOURself!! I am being honest, truthful and realistic. I know for a FACT that there are ALOT of women on this site that have NOT made it. "I" am just the only one that's posting my experience through the eyes of many.

"I" am NOT being "stereo-typical". I know ALOT of Jamaican men AND women that live here and in Jamaica and they've ALL said the same things. I'm going by MY 10 years of "jamaica/jamaican" personal experience and what I've heard from many many people !!!

My husband isn't "worthless"....stupid sometimes and good for you that you are one in a MILLION that is "young" and has 2 degrees. I applaud you, but not EVERYONE is like "you" either !!!

It amazes me your rude comments back to me and potshots as "I" am trying to help those that just really have NO experience with Jamaicans, Jamaica, the culture, etc etc !! I too have my reasons for not marrying an American man as well..........and so his point is ???? Not that color is an "issue"....does make a difference in some of our relationships......but is he white or black??

So please, stay out of the business of telling me that I'm whining....just read on if you don't like what's being said!!!

Timeline

One Love!

I commented on attitudes like the comment you`ve highlighted an was told that people were just tallking about `their` experiences.....But I would whole-heartedly agree with you - people NEED to stop stereotyping! Because you have a few Jamaican friends and happen to have a Jamaican man, does NOT make you an authority on Jamaicans as a whole!

.......just a "few" jamaican friends......??? sorry, but certainly not in my case

Timeline

One Love!

I feel you . Do not give up on the people on here. Sometimes love makes us do odd things and I think some people just get a bit carried away. i agree that not every Jamaican dreaming of the streets paved with gold. I think the comments just got ahead of her.

I don't believe that I said every Jamaican...... I said any....there's a difference. As we've said in here, we're here for SUPPORT, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.