Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

My family are pricey shoppers so I know they will be giving her some good stuff cause they like to show off like that. So I was talking to my fiance about this a couple weeks ago and told her that they might have done this. Her response was that she does not like hand me downs and not a charity case.

Is it a man's thing that we will accept gifts like this, but women have difficulty doing this? Or am I marrying the exception to the rule here?

I think this just depends on the person and how they were raised. My husband finds it really funny that we pass down used clothes here :unsure: I guess they never did that where he was from. He did accept a few things from my dad (used coats, boots, flannel shirts, etc) that he wears to work since he works outside. However, when my grandfather passed away last year, my mom was giving away everything of his and some of this stuff was brand new. She gave a bunch of stuff to me for Tony knowing that he didn't have a lot of warm clothing. Tony was absolutely APPALLED that I would give him a "dead man's clothes" as he put it :o He said in Jamaica when someone dies, they burn all their clothes and shoes :wacko: It is absolutely unheard of to pass on these things. Has anyone else heard of this?

So I have to do some shopping to at least allow her to survive the first couple days after we return until she goes shopping for herself.

When Tony came here I bought him a zip-up fleece sweatshirt. It was ok for a few days and then I took him shopping to pick out a winter coat, hat, and gloves. Depending on how cold it is where you are, you might be able to do something like this. Or, could you lend her one of your coats just until you can get her to the store? That way you don't have to worry about buying something she might not like.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You know what Trini--I'm thinking this whole "intense sense of pride" thing is definitely instilled in ALL Jamaicans, not just the women. I was talking to my fiance the other nite about registering our wedding at a couple of different stores and asking him what he was interested in having. Well, after I explained what "registering" meant, then he was all mad saying stuff like "Why we haf to take tings from other people? I can buy my own wife tings for de house!" I was like, "OK, HERE WE GO! :wacko: " So then I was like, "its not the same as us not being able to afford stuff or people taking pity on us, it's just a gesture of kindness and helping us to get started in our new life together as husband and wife." He wasn't buying it...not one bit! I tell you, sometimes this man makes me crazy! ;)

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Timeline
One other question. So I went to dinner with my family last week. We are discussing my fiance moving here and everyone is so excited about it. My sister calls today and says she will bring over some coats and sweaters and boots since she and my fiance wear the same size. My grandmother leaves me a voice mail and say that she has some stuff too. My family are pricey shoppers so I know they will be giving her some good stuff cause they like to show off like that. So I was talking to my fiance about this a couple weeks ago and told her that they might have done this. Her response was that she does not like hand me downs and not a charity case.

It is not that we cannot afford to buy her winter clothes cause I made provisions for this. But I figure why turn away gifts that are given with the best of intentions. I am not one to get into a pissing match over something like this. I just do not want to offend my family, but I have a woman who has intense pride.( Yes, something to work on). I wish someone was this generous to me when I came here years ago with a sweater during a blizzard. Is it a man's thing that we will accept gifts like this, but women have difficulty doing this? Or am I marrying the exception to the rule here?

Craig does NOT like "hand me downs". He wants "new" stuff. I had 2 fleeze type jackets and a pullover (mens) that my son had won at something. He didn't put up a fight wearing them because as you know it's COLD here !!! He did go and buy a winter jacket 2 weekends ago at Walmart and LOVES it...and "can't wait" (but is also scared) to wear it. I have tons of gloves that I keep around and he's been wearing them to.

Maybe you could just accept the items from your family (they don't have to know she may not like or keep them) and then buy her something nice (and affordable....I buy my stuff at Old Navy--LOVE that store). Then maybe when she realizes HOW cold it is here, she'll be accepting of the "gifts" that family members have given to her. Maybe you could wrap them up in a nice box or something like that??

Tamisha ---I'm totally hip to hanging (depending on soccer--which is every weekend till Nov 12th). I've yet to meet Shemonya (and Damien) :cry: and we don't even live that far!! I met up with Woogietail when she lived in the area. We went to see a band called Jahworks. They are really awesome. That's the ONLY time that I will go out to a club/bar is to see this band.

Kim, I'm happy that you guys were able to work through everything. Communicating and TALKING without a heated argument, throwing stuff and whatnot really works wonders !!! Trust or no trust, having my man go to a "club"...eh, not happenin....just WAAAAY to much temptation!!! There are TONS of women (and men) that could give 2 you know whats if you're married, in a relationship or not!!!

How did the get together go up in north ???? Were you guys all able to get together and hang??

Michele, it's cccooooooolllldddd here !!! I had to scrape off ice on the window this morning. I can't STAND the cold weather!!! Craig said he likes it ??? Then he asked yesterday if I had heat here in the house (as he only had boxers and no shirt on???). Sitting out in it watching soccer in this flippin cold weather......argh (although I do keep that face/neck soccer mom tan happenin a likkle bit).

I too had a reunion, of sorts, Sat nite. It was for anyone that graduated from the elementary/middle school. The school has been open since 1967...it's Kindergarten through 8th grade (private school). I took my son and it was veeeeery cool to see some old faces and reconnect. I've been to everyone of my highschool reunions and had SO much fun. I'm still good friends with about 5 girls that I've known since we were in the 6th grade and 2 other friends of mine (guys) that lived in my neighborhood, we talk every week (one of my friends son is on my sons soccer team). We had fun growing up and there's nothing like having friends that you've been friends with since your childhood!!!

CONGRATS to the Savanphils !!!!

Thanks again for all of your support !!!

Have a great day everyone, keep warm for those of us that are feelin chilly!!!

Kelly :star:

You guys sure were chatty this weekend :lol:

Regarding the hand-me-downs....Roy wouldn't have any part of that either. We did take some things from my father's closet (tee-hee) but they were new and still had the tags on them.

Does your husband go out to night clubs without you? Are you okay with that?
Sometimes I wish Roy would go out. He really hasn't made too many friends yet -- just a few from school but they work all the time so there is no "opportunity" for play. Would I let him go out with the guys? Right now, I will say YES. When the time comes.....probably not :lol: :lol:
we just got our interview date 11/02 I am so happy :dance:
Congratulations!! :dance:
Well, after I explained what "registering" meant, then he was all mad saying stuff like "Why we haf to take tings from other people? I can buy my own wife tings for de house!" I was like, "OK, HERE WE GO! :wacko:
:lol:I had the same conversation with Roy....we never registered.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Re hand-me-downs:

Look I can't even handle washing my clothes with another person's; my whole life, I have washed my clothes separately from my siblings and my mom. And I wash my clothes separately from Henry's and I use "nuff detol". :lol: So I ask thee, how am I gonna wear another person's clothes??? It would be tough. The closest I came was in college...my roommate's grandma used to knit her gorgeous sweaters, which she would wear once and then store away. Sometimes she'd lend them to to me and I would wear them till she said "aw keep it." :whistle:

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Timeline

Hi Family

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Re hand-me-downs:

Look I can't even handle washing my clothes with another person's; my whole life, I have washed my clothes separately from my siblings and my mom. And I wash my clothes separately from Henry's and I use "nuff detol". :lol: So I ask thee, how am I gonna wear another person's clothes??? It would be tough. The closest I came was in college...my roommate's grandma used to knit her gorgeous sweaters, which she would wear once and then store away. Sometimes she'd lend them to to me and I would wear them till she said "aw keep it." :whistle:

i draw the line at chonis! :no: no way i am wearing someone else's chonis. anything else is ok.

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Timeline
Hello!

So...I have a question for all of you. Does your husband go out to night clubs without you? Are you okay with that?

The reason I ask is because Duane was a DJ back in JA. He really misses playing music so he hooked up with a local DJ and he goes out every Thursday to play. I am totally okay with that. On occasion, we go out on Friday or Saturday night also. This weekend, I was asked to work overtime both days and I agreed because we really need the money. I just got home after working all day and Duane says he wants to go out tonight...I am completely wiped out and was hoping we would have a quiet evening in since I need to get up and be back at work at 7:00am.....We went to dinner and a movie last night.......

When I tell him this, he says that he would like to go by himself.....I was like......#######!!! I understand that he wants to get out the house but I feel like he is being kinda selfish considering the fact that I am working so "we" can have food on the table. Am I being wrong to feel this way???? Do married folks really go to clubs by themselves?? If so, why??? I understand that we all need our space but I kinda feel like this is a slap in the face. I work all freaking weekend so he can go out and play....Oh yes...and pay $10.00 cover charge and 15.00 taxi fare......Why can't we have a nice evening in???

Okay.....I am done venting but really...I need you to chime in here...am I being crazy???

Although I am not married yet, I wouldn't have a problem w/my man going out w/o me. If there is a party and I didn't feel like going I would tell him to go alone, even though I don't think he will. He used to be a DJ in JA as well but as time went by he kind of left the party thing alone. Claim he to old... :lol: Now from HIS point of view, I don't think he will feel the same way. He says woman go out to look for men, but that is not the case w/me. I will NEVER pick up a man at a club...eww. I love music and love to dance.

I know several married couples that go out alone sometimes but always come home before daylight. Not every night or every weekend of course but occasional is not a problem. Just my opinion.

Let us know how your reunion went Jax. I'm sure you'll have fun.

Wow there was hardly anyone there at all only like 35 of us. They sent out only 80 invitations to people and my class was 215 people wow. Oh and I didn't get an invite I just happened to find the site. We freakin need better planners next time. My girlfriend and I were about to leave when we got there it was so boring. Then we started chating with people and were one of the last ones to leave. I can't believe they were showing our old prom video and my hair was black then yuk. It was nice to see everyone and I can't beleive how many of us our teachers and still live in the same town.

I hope everyone had a great Saturday night.

Rhonda were are u?? Its late here and I don't see you? :lol: It's past my bed time I can't believe it. I am getting old. :lol:

Don't feel bad Jax my 10-year reunion was the same. I went to Evanston Townhip HS up north and our class was huge!!! But only a few was actually going so I decided not to go at the last minute. Instead they had an after-party and everyone showed up then. I think it was b/c of the cost...it was like $85. I then heard it was only 20 ppl that showed up.

As for me and the filing process we just got our interview date 11/02 I am so happy :dance:

:dance::dance: Congratulations!! :dance::dance:

Congrats!!!

Edited by nyseness

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline

Re hand-me-downs:

i draw the line at chonis! :no: no way i am wearing someone else's chonis. anything else is ok.

Daniel

:lol::whistle: I hear you, bro. There has GOT to be line drawn somewhere! Although I have shipped clothes to other countries and customs or whoever stole the chones. :blink::o

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Timeline

Re hand-me-downs:

Daniel

:lol::whistle: I hear you, bro. There has GOT to be line drawn somewhere! Although I have shipped clothes to other countries and customs or whoever stole the chones. :blink::o

dayum! :blink:

then again, i've never shipped a pair of victorian secret chonis. :P

Daniel

K3(I-129F):

off to NVC.

CR1(I-130):

NVC:

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good afternoon (F)

Graduation was last Wednesday :yes: and as of now I start Bachelors program @ end of this month :dance:

Now looking for another job, but enjoying the break and being able to sleep in

I saw all the discussions I missed but my dial up (yes I am in the stone ages) is slow and nuff time dem a log mi off so I'll just start in from this page. Hope everyone has been doing well.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
That is why I love you all. Get my Sunday morning sermon right at my desk. And do I get an Amen!

See I understand what you ladies are saying and maybe one of these days, faced with this scenario, I may scream and show my manly stupidity. I guess we can all preach in the shelter of our so called "educated consciousness" because it sounds like the ideal and I am going to be guilty of that a few times. But faced with this scenarion, all that well learned attitude may go out the window. Trust me, I will do what I must to protect my investment. I guess for me , I am at a point in my life where i do not feel like dealing with all the drama associated with getting my SO to follow the straight and narrow path. I am marrying a jamaican woman who once upon a time lived the life. Maybe her new disposition is a facade. But maybe it is real. But we have a trust in each other that came out of great sacrifice. The ability to let go and let be, has allowed me to survive the waters that separate us. Come November 5th that may all change and I will keep you ladies posted. For now, I say Amen!

Trini......you are all right!!! :thumbs: I have to agree esp w/me being so far from my man for so long. It took some time (in the beginning) to get to this stage but I trust my SO. It's hard to say it at times but I do. Now mind you I am coming from saying "I trust no one". I have been w/some guys in life and EVERY single one cheated. It was so bad to the point I would be w/someone but would drive myself crazy thinking about what he was doing. When Javon & I first together is was nothing but pure headache. I would snap and accuse him of this and that to the point it made me sick. Then I broke it off and we didn't talk for a very long time. Then one day I was missing him and I cld him and he spoke for hrs. I told him where I was coming from and he understood. I then realized that he never gave me a reason for me to think otherwise...and if I were going to continue to feel this way it will never work. So then I prayed and left it up to God. And to this day I have never doubted him in anyway. I love him and I know he feels the same about me. So like Trini says it's he's going to stray he will. No matter what we say or do only HE can make that final decision whether to cheat or not. Me being miserable is not doing nothing but hurting myself and us.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline

Re hand-me-downs:

Daniel

Daniel

me pongo rojo! :blush:

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Timeline

Re hand-me-downs:

Daniel

Daniel

me pongo rojo! :blush:

chistos! :lol:

Daniel

K3(I-129F):

off to NVC.

CR1(I-130):

NVC:

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Graduation was last Wednesday :yes: and as of now I start Bachelors program @ end of this month :dance:

:dance::jest: !!! Congratulations !!! :dance::jest:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.