doodlebugg

Algerian Music Question

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Barbarian? LOLOL that was too inoccently funny!

BTW Ash , congrats on baby .... mine also soon to be hereeeeeeeeeee!

Congratulations Henia on your baby!!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
If you like Metallica, you might like this Algerian:

I LOVE RACHID TAHA, been a huge fan for a few years now. he does disappoint me with his behavior from time to time, like falling over drunk at a concert in finland or something lol....but otherwise, extremely talented man :thumbs:

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
Ok I hope this doesn't end up bad and I mean no disrespect to anyone on here. Let me preface by stating that often times my husband will get a word or two mixed up so maybe what he's saying isn't really what he means, you know?

That being said, one of his friends here is Algerian and gave him a cd to listen to. I forget the name of the kind of music it is but it's actually very cool and I like it, which is odd for me since I don't care much for the music he likes aside from Unforgiven by Metallica :P . Anyhoo he told me he has no clue what the guy, Didi (i think that's his name) is saying because it's in a different language. I asked what language and he said "barbarian". I was like, "do you mean bedoin?" and he said no this is different they are barbarian and live in the desert but they are not bedoin.

Anybody? :unsure: I'm just curious since I like it. Not gonna learn the lingo or anything since I'm just not into learning anything these days but again, just curious.

Hope everyone is doing well and hope that the embassies get those visas out to all who are waiting! :thumbs:

Algeria just qualified for the world cup against Egypt yoo hoo

Anyway,

Rai is from ORAN ALGERIA and really no where else. Morocco has forms of rai that originated in a city called OUJDA but many Algerian rai singers have Moroccan family members because of the close proximity to Morocco.

There are many forms of rai

Old RAI

RAINA RAI, HOUARI BENCHENET

MORE MODERN RAI

NASRO, KHALED,

NEW RAI

BILAL, CHEB TAREK< CHEBA DJENET

Rai actually became electronic in the 80s when a producer from a city named Sidi Bel Abbes added electronic music to music that was traditionally Orani. Blaoui Houari and Ahmed Wahbi were traditional Orani singers. Cheikha Rimitti was an wedding singer ( called Medahat) Khaled has made a living making these traditional songs electronic

A few alblums to help you if you are a beginner

Any golden hits by HASNI

Cheb Khaled's SAHRA

CHEB MAMI'S DELALI

The three sons or TRES SOLEILS with Khaled Rachid Taha and Faudel

Even the song YA MENFI was a traditional Algerian song thats on that concert clip. Much of RAI is traditional music that has been adapted. Now that doesnt take into account the new stuff or Hasnis lovers rai ( the music moroccans and algerians get romantic to)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.