Gage

Need some advice for my wife's friend on K-3

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife has made friends with a woman in town who recently entered the United States on K-3. She has a small son. Apparently they had a falling out a few days ago and he's kicking her and the boy out. He's bought them a one way ticket back home and says he wants a divorce. He's refusing to give her money or anything and she doesn't even have a credit card. She's worried if she leaves the country on the ticket he bought her that it will be pretty much impossible for her to get any financial compensation out of him in the future. She's at a loss of what she's supposed to do and since I'm no lawyer I told my wife I'd post this here to see if we could get some good advice for her friend.

My first thought would be that she needs to visit with an immigration lawyer, but that might be difficult since she has no money. Does anyone here have other advice we could pass on to her?

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How far into the process is she? Ie after arriving here in the USA with the K3, did she adjust status yet, and if she has a green card, is it a two or ten year one? That is the most important info to advise her correctly. If she has a green card and evidence that she entered a bonafide marriage, then she can stay (and remove conditions by herself if neccessary), and thus would only need a good divorce attorney.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

They've been married for 3 years, and she only recently joined him here in the U.S. via K-3 (2 months ago). I'm of the understanding that she doesn't have her GC yet. I don't know why. The most important thing for her is her immediate needs. She has something like $50 to her name and no credit cards. She either uses the airline tickets to get home to friends and family where she has support, or she stays here and finds a women's shelter or something and tries to get an attorney.

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The K-3 visa usuallly is good for 2 years, multi-entry into the USA.

If the AOS hasn't been filed yet, she's gonna have some issues.

There are many places to help her - look up 'Catholic Charities' in the phone book for your town, then go forth.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
They've been married for 3 years, and she only recently joined him here in the U.S. via K-3 (2 months ago). I'm of the understanding that she doesn't have her GC yet. I don't know why. The most important thing for her is her immediate needs. She has something like $50 to her name and no credit cards. She either uses the airline tickets to get home to friends and family where she has support, or she stays here and finds a women's shelter or something and tries to get an attorney.

Yes, those are her choices.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.