Dan and Ali

Tips to avoid being denied entry at US border

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So my fiance and I are intending to travel to the US from November 6 - 11 with my 2 year old daughter from a previous relationship. I'm already getting paranoid about getting denied entry at the border -- any suggestions on stuff I can bring to prove that we are coming back to Canada would be greatly appreciated!

So far I intend to bring:

- My offer letter of employment from my job (I am a term employee, so this letter simply states I have employment with them until March of 2010)

- A notarized letter from my daughter's father stating he gives me permission to take her with me for those days (is there a specific format I should be following or can I just write this letter myself and have it notarized?)

My apartment lease expired last month and my landlord hasn't given me an up to date, month-to-month lease yet. I intend to ask her for one the next time I see her but she's kind of all over the place, so I'm really not sure that she'll have gotten it to me before we leave.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there... that sounds good so far. I always bring copies of my latest bills showing my address, a copy of my latest bank statements showing my Canadian address and a copy of my NOA2, the approval for our 1-130 as it shows that we're doing things the legal way.

Even if you have the NOA1, I would bring that too -- just shows good intent. I usually bring every bit of ties to Canada that I can think of because you just never know.

Good luck.

:)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I've heard, you may have a tougher time getting the little one across than proving your ties to Canada.

Not sure if you have traveled cross border with her before, but if not I would suggest reading up on it... there's some kinda ... form thingie... consent...

Dunno, but I know it's complicated - and it's always questioned unlike the ties to Canada. :)

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think the ex's letter needs to be notarized, but don't forget to have him include a contact number where he can be reached if they decide to call from the border and confirm on the spot.

The work letter should probably include that they know your on vacation from x to x and expect you to return to work on x. I don't know what you meant by a TERM employee (on contract)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you pay any ongoing utilities (heat, gas, water, etc.), any telephone service, any internet service? Bring copies of the most recent bills showing that these are active, ongoing accounts. Do you own a car that is staying in Canada? Bring copy of your vehicle registration/ownership/insurance. Do you have renter's insurance? Bring a copy of the policy showing it is still in effect. Do you receive the Child Tax Benefit for your daughter? If so, bring along the most recent payment voucher or statement showing this is an ongoing payment due you as long as you are in Canada. Bring along the most recent pay stub to accompany the letter from your employer showing you are working. If you can get the employer's letter to state you are due so many days holidays that will help as well. Do try to get a letter from your landlord that you are her tenant at such and such an address from her and have lived there since XXXXX. Bfring a copy of your most recent rent receipt (current month is best).

Don't bring more clothes or personal items than you need for the time you are away and make sure they are seasonally appropriate. Don't try to bring over any belongings in anticipation of moving things for later.

The letter from your daughter's father is a necessity. Make sure it includes the dates that she is in the US, the location where she is going in the US and who she is visiting (it will corroborate your information at the border), and have it include a phone number where your ex can be contacted if the border wishes to phone him. Make sure you have identification for your daughter as well (required for the border).

Then, always tell the truth at the border. Be quietly confident, look the guard in the eyes when you answer questions. And don't bring any fruit :lol: . Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Pffft...

Don't bring any fruit!

Nice one, K... .

:D

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! For some reason I was thinking the letter from my daughter's father had to be notarised ... I wonder where I got that from. If anyone knows of a template out there that CBP likes people to use, please let me know! I really want this process to be as painless as possible. Ongoing bills and up-to-date statements, car insurance, etc are all great suggestions as well that I will definitely bring. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to get a letter from my work saying I will be leaving on XX day and returning XX day -- I asked my manager and he flat-out denied me! He did suggest that I bring my offer letter though, and said I can give CBP his number if they need to verify ... which is great except we'll be crossing the border outside of normal working hours :P I will also ensure that I pack lightly and seasonly appropriate.

Thanks again everyone, if anyone else has something they'd like to add please do! :)

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

Here's some info from passport canada, we basically set up our letter for our boy (2 years old) like the sample letter I've attached, and got it notarized, and we've had no problems. The only thing I did was make the letter good for all of 2009, instead of one trip. Hope it helps.

US born, Canadian raised, Irish Blood.

Timeline
Pffft...

Don't bring any fruit!

Nice one, K... .

lol, actually in August my fiance and I went down to visit his family and we brought nectarines with us. The CBP guy straight up told us they don't care about nectarines (which makes sense, they were from the US anyway), but if we had oranges with us he would have had to pull us into secondary! I laughed but he seemed dead serious. So yeah ... definitely do not try and cross the border with oranges!

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Pffft...

Don't bring any fruit!

Nice one, K... .

lol, actually in August my fiance and I went down to visit his family and we brought nectarines with us. The CBP guy straight up told us they don't care about nectarines (which makes sense, they were from the US anyway), but if we had oranges with us he would have had to pull us into secondary! I laughed but he seemed dead serious. So yeah ... definitely do not try and cross the border with oranges!

We drove across from US to Canada in Niagara. My husband is british and I am american. We had our passports, a cooler and a suitcase. We went on a "road trip" from Boston to New york, Vermont, Canada, Maine, New Hampshire and back to Mass. When the lady asked us how long we were going for I said I dont know. She said where will you be staying and I said I have no idea. She asked what is in the coller and I saod a beer,cheese, a banana and some bread and she said have a nice trip and told us where the Info booth was located. I woud recommend having a plan. :rofl:

Oh well we didnt have any trouble coming or going.

We see each other every couple of months and bring lots of prrof but truthfully no one has ever asked us to show it.

Timeline

Hey Dan and Ali!

My 2-yr-old and I have traveled back and forth to the US to visit hubby (USC) since we started the immigration process.

I don't know if it's different b/c we were going to visit her daddy and my daughter is a USC herself, but I just had a letter (used Cdn gov't sample) from him giving permission - it had our names, passport numbers, flight numbers, contact info, etc. It was NOT notarized, but it was signed by a witness.

The US CBP officers barely even read the letter - they were much more concerned about ME and my immigration status. Ironically, once when we came back to Canada, the Cdn officer grilled me (and called my husband) b/c I didn't have a letter - I didn't think I needed one to come HOME with my child.

Sounds like you have a lot of proof that you're coming back (still have ties to Canada) - if you have any doctors appointments or anything booked, bring the appointment reminders too.

I'm sure you will be fine, especially because you are only going for a few days....BUT I gotta tell you that I was denied last weekend and it was a terrible experience....so you just have to hope you get a reasonable, nice officer!

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Having a contact number is important. My sister was travelling with her son a few years ago (he was 14 at the time) and CBP did actually call the father to confirm that he knew his son was leaving the country. It may be advisable to give the father a heads up as to what time you may be going through border control just in case they decide to call. It would not be fun if for some reason they were not able to reach him. My sister did also require a notarized letter. The funniest part was that they were also travelling with her son's friendand they questioned only about the son (who was with a parent) and only asked to see the passport for the friend, no letter of permission from his parents or anything!

Just FYI -- I'm down in Washington D.C. now as mentioned in another thread or two, but I actually had a bit of a hitch at the border, even though I have a NEXUS pass, which has always been a no-questions-asked fast lane. Well, the border guard decided to grill me quite a bit despite this...and fortunately I had my return itinerary with me. She was pretty skeptical, but ultimately let me through.

I'm guessing that there IS a flag that comes up on their screen once the case clears USCIS. I could be wrong, but I've NEVER had an issue going across through the NEXUS lane...or even regular lane...but the questions this border guard asked me were pretty specific to a potential abandoner...

So there you go. I DO suggest all of the supporting documents you can bring, just in case!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

that is so weird that some experience problems and some don't... in the 2 years I dated my fiance and even through the K1 process...I never had any issues....Even after I sold my house and told them so....I didn't have a traditional steady job....and yet I never had issues...ever..even when I crossed with my son....they did even ask to see a custody letter or permission from my ex....so weird....I've always been honest...and before they even ask all the questions....I would tell them that we had a pending K1 application...

Good luck, and i'm sure you will be fine.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.