fattylittleslug

DS 230, about SSN

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks to VJ that I received my NOA2 so quickly. I am filling out DS -230 for P3 and have encountered some problems. They are about Q43a and Q 43b.

"43a. Have you ever applied for a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Would you like to receive a replacement

card? (You must answer YES to question

43b. to receive a card.)

43b. Consent to Disclosure: I authorize disclosure of information

from this form to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the

Social Security Administration (SSA), such other U.S. Government

agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN

and issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize the SSA to share

my SSN with the INS.

The applicant's response does not limit or restrict the Government's

ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for

Yes No enforcement or other purposes as authorized by law."

My answer is "Yes" to 43a but I lost the original SSN card along with my other documents, (I-94, passport, visa, etc). I would really like it if the gov could issue me another SSN so I don't have to worry about my identity being stolen. Then I see 43b. I don't know exactly what it means and what the consequences are if I check "yes". Could anyone please help me?

Thank you!

Edited by fattylittleslug

event.png

event.png

AOS + EAD + AP

03/17/10 Mailed using Priority Mail

03/21/10 Arrived at Chicago Lockbox

03/29/10 NOA1 issued

03/31/10 Notice on biometrics appointment for AOS+ EAD issued

04/13/10 I-485 transferred to CSC

04/21/10 Biometrics taken

04/22/10 AOS+EAD touched

05/04/10 AOS touched

05/26/10 EAD card ordered, AP touched/approved

06/01/10 AP received in the mail

06/04/10 Notice on mailing of EAD card received

07/10/10 AOS touched

08/09/10 still no updates

09/09/10 AOS touched

09/11/10 I-129F touched (???)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Those questions are in Part II -

A K-1 visa applicant is NOT to fill out Part II.

The last question, for you, is #35. Stop there, do not fill out the next page .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

DS-230 is a consular form, moving to Embassy and Consulate Discussion...

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Those questions are in Part II -

A K-1 visa applicant is NOT to fill out Part II.

The last question, for you, is #35. Stop there, do not fill out the next page .

Well now I am confused... I have been told by several people that we have to fill out part II, up to the point where it says "Do not write below this line" and take part II to the interview with us.. but that part I has to be sent to the embassy with the other documents.

So, a K1 does not have to fill out part II at all???

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey
07/09/08 - Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.
06/04/09 - 2nd Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

04/29/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet
07/14/2010 - AOS Approved!
07/24/2010 - Green Card in Hand!

04/26/2012 - Mailed ROC Packet
01/03/2012- ROC Approved

01/10/2013 - 10 year Green Card in Hand

04/14/2102 - Mailed N400 Packet

05/13/2013 - Biometrics
08/19/2013 - Citizenship interview

09/18/2013 - Oath Cermony.

It's finally all over! He's a citizen :)

Timeline

Not sure about Turkey - but I am certain about China (Sorry Jenn... )

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
Not sure about Turkey - but I am certain about China (Sorry Jenn... )

well, I suppose it can't hurt to fill it out and take that part with us.. just to be safe. What's one more piece of paper in the huge stack of stuff we will be taking with us :)

The Social Security question confused me too.. He doesn't have one, but the part that asks if they want SSA to issue a number confused me. Of course everyone would have to answer "yes" to this question if they didn't already have one.. wouldn't they?

So, we'll fill it out and take it with us.. and if we don't need it.. no harm done.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

01/03/2012- ROC Approved

05/13/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

looks like Turkey wants both parts - see http://turkey.usembassy.gov/visa_forms.html

BUT

IF ya read the instructions at http://turkey.usembassy.gov/consular/k1k2102009.pdf

It says Only Part I.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

Jenn - why are you 'taking that part with us' ? The DS-230 is to be sent back to the embassy, via UPS. Whats up?

Edited by Darnell

Timeline
Jenn - why are you 'taking that part with us' ? The DS-230 is to be sent back to the embassy, via UPS. Whats up?

Hey.. just more to add to my confusion :)

We know we need to send Part I with packet # 3.. I had been told we needed to fill out Part II and take it with us to the interview, but not to send Part II with packet # 3.

Then it was posted on here that a K1 did not need to do Part II, but you were not sure if that just applied to China. So, I was going to take Part II with us just in case.

To be honest, when I look at the forms I would think that I needed to send Part I and Part II with packet # 3.. but the instructions only say Part I

A small part of me was thinking to send Part II anyway, even if the instructions didn't ask for it.

It gets a little confusing when you read so many things, then people who have been to your consulate say something different.. then people post it's not needed but that may just be for their consulate, etc.

From what I read, we need to send Part I in.. and then I was told to take Part II with us.

The post saying Part was not needed for K1 is was started my confusion, but again.. that information was not necessarily for our consulate.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

03/30/2010 - Married

01/03/2012- ROC Approved

05/13/2013 - Biometrics

Timeline

Jenn - if you were told , by a consulate officer - then by all means you have the Gospel .

Good Luck !

Timeline
Jenn - if you were told , by a consulate officer - then by all means you have the Gospel .

Good Luck !

No I WISH I had that kind of connection for information. Most of my info has been from people who have already gone through the interview in Ankara.. but even they conflict each other with their information.

I think my best bet it to just follow the instructions from the embassy and be prepared with all the other information people have told me I need to have.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

03/30/2010 - Married

01/03/2012- ROC Approved

05/13/2013 - Biometrics

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Having just dealt with this in Turkey myself, we sent in both part I and II completely filled in, to the embassy with our packet 3.

I know I should get my timeline up, but I'll get to that soon enough. We sent in our packet 3 sometime in either late september or early october (yes less than 2 months ago and i can't remember when), we received confimation and our interview date on October 13th. Our interview is scheduled for December 10.

As for the SSN question, why would your turkish fiance have had a SSN? If he has/had one, then that makes him a US Citizen and you wouldn't need to be going through this process. Unless of course he relinquished his citizenship at some point.

Point is, that question is asking whether your fiance has a SSN. My fiance did not. So, I answered "No". Then they asked if he wants one, so I answered "Yes"

Hope this helps some.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

OH, additionally, I have sent emails to the consulate through their website asking questions about my case and what they needed/wanted. They have been pretty helpful in their replies. They usually reply w/in 3-5 days and most of the time answer the questions I asked. I've so far sent about 3 emails to them.

Timeline
OH, additionally, I have sent emails to the consulate through their website asking questions about my case and what they needed/wanted. They have been pretty helpful in their replies. They usually reply w/in 3-5 days and most of the time answer the questions I asked. I've so far sent about 3 emails to them.

I have actually emailed them about another question.. still waiting for an answer.. it's been 11 days.

He doesn't have a soc #, but the OP was asking about this.. my thought was that if they were supposed to answer the question about wanting one that everyone would answer "yes". I think I was asking about the question that said "if you don't have do you want one applied for". Well, if you answer this question wouldn't you say yes? I just put that he had no soc # and left it at that.

I did exactly as you did, and sent in both Part I and II. The website instructions list both.. the letter we received only listed Part I. Figured if we sent it, and they didn't want it, it was not a big issue.. would rather send them something they don't need than not include something they want.

Good luck with your interview. We're waiting to find out our date. Hoping for sometime in January. It says 3-4 months, but most people seem to be getting them in two.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

03/30/2010 - Married

01/03/2012- ROC Approved

05/13/2013 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.