rei&will

help needed! where to start?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi... I'm new here.

I'm from Indonesia and about to get marry with US citizen.

I'm not sure on what things to o first.

My family wants us to have the wedding here around mid of next year. But looking at the immigration situation, it's confusing. Can anyone help me on where i need to start? Either still have the wedding here and apply for the visa after that (which means we'll be separated :() or just have the engagement party here and have the wedding there?

Need help asap!

Thanx in advance.

Reinita :unsure:

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi... I'm new here.

I'm from Indonesia and about to get marry with US citizen.

I'm not sure on what things to o first.

My family wants us to have the wedding here around mid of next year. But looking at the immigration situation, it's confusing. Can anyone help me on where i need to start? Either still have the wedding here and apply for the visa after that (which means we'll be separated :() or just have the engagement party here and have the wedding there?

Need help asap!

Reinita :unsure:

It depends on what you really want to do. The first thing is to decide how soon you want to be together. A K1 visa tends to be the quickest visa to get, however it also tends to get the most denials. The K1 also from what I hear is the most expensive. It is the route we choose to do. A CR1 visa is what you would file for if you are get married before filing for the visa. I have no experience this route, but there are many people that have and they might be able to tell you about the steps needed for that visa. If you choose the K1 visa, you must not get married, and you have to have met at least once within 2 years of filing for a visa, if your loved one has filed for a visa for a different person within 2 years of filing for this visa then he/she will have to request a waiver when you file this visa. Depending on the consulate, you may want to start to fill out a time line of your relationship from the first time you met/were introduced/talked or chatted up until you have the interview, this can also help with preparation for the interview as well. This time line should be in order from start to the end, and not jump from here to there. Save any phone records, chat logs, emails and any other proof of a ongoing relationship. Have many photos taken of the two of you together doing things, and make sure you have plenty of photos of each other in different clothing and also with family members. There are also forms that need to be filled out which are simple and self explanatory, I would make sure that what ever visa you decide to file for you make copies of every document that you submit so that you can keep them in your own file. Also with a K1 Visa you have to be married within 90 days of arriving in America. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask Jerome

Thanx in advance.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Hi, I am from Indonesia too, and I got married in Indonesia so I took the CR-1 visa, my suggestion is that you should take some time to read the Guide in here, the difference, advantage and disadvantage between K-1 and CR-1... so please read it first, and then when you already do that, you will know what to do. All the VJ member here are very helpful, but of course, read it first, then it will be easier for us to help with what you do not understand. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.