Lina y Mario

SEALED ENVELOPE FROM THE EMBASSY

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

This may seem like a dumb question, but I see that all of the approved K1 visa holders who travel to the US have a sealed envelope that they got from the embassy in their home country. MY fiance got his K1 visa approval last week, and we have bought the tickets for him to fly into Newark on November 11. However, he has never received this mysterious envelope. Can anybody please enlighten me as to what this envelope contains, and how we go about getting it, so that he won´t have any trouble at immigration at the POE. Thanks for all of your responses.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
This may seem like a dumb question, but I see that all of the approved K1 visa holders who travel to the US have a sealed envelope that they got from the embassy in their home country. MY fiance got his K1 visa approval last week, and we have bought the tickets for him to fly into Newark on November 11. However, he has never received this mysterious envelope. Can anybody please enlighten me as to what this envelope contains, and how we go about getting it, so that he won´t have any trouble at immigration at the POE. Thanks for all of your responses.

The visa and the sealed envelope come together. If he has a visa in hand, he got the envelope.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Make sure he is not mistaken. I have never heard of this. If indeed he did not get the sealed envelope then you need to get hold of the consulate ASAP. While it is possible for him to enter the US without the sealed envelope, it is not a pleasant experience and will cause you to have to return to the POE of deferred inspection and cause you to have to repeat the medical and vaccinations for the AOS, so GET THAT ENVELOPE!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

They receive a sealed envelope from the medical examination. It contains the results of the exam and a vaccination certificate and maybe other stuff.

This they hand to the consular officer at the interview. They take it, open it and maybe keep some documents or make copies and then place these documents and other documents into another envelope and seal that. This sealed envelope comes with the visa to come here.

At POE the passport control officer will take the sealed envelope and open it and add other documents and all that is sent by them to USCIS (or DHS) where is becomes part of their permanent file.

A sealed envelope is required at POE. Not having it is a big problem and they risk being returned and you risk having to do all this over again. Losing the envelope during the trip to the US will become very troublesome.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

One more thing...once your fiance gets that sealed envelope, not matter what he does, DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL, DO NOT OPEN IT. Make sure he brings it in the plane with him and not in the suit case(s) that he checks-in at the airport..

Good luck.

Joe.

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

It should be easy to recognize that envelope. It is sealed and has that "DO NOT OPEN" message. And it also has a cut corner. If your fiance does not have call the embassy ASAP!!!!!!!

PEACE...........................

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in you hearts you can overcome anything.

January 21, 2010 - Submitted AOS

January 25, 2010 - Cory received her SSN

March 9, 2010 - Received appointment for biometrics - will be on March 18

March 18, 2010 - Biometrics done

March 19, 2010 - Touches on I-485 and I-765

March 25, 2010 - Advance Parole approved..received on April 1 in the mail

March 29, 2010 - I-485 notice date, received on April 4, 2010

May 3, 2010 - EAD approved

May 5, 2010 - Date interview....approved

event.png

Filed: Timeline
One more thing...once your fiance gets that sealed envelope, not matter what he does, DO NOT BREAK THE SEAL, DO NOT OPEN IT. Make sure he brings it in the plane with him and not in the suit case(s) that he checks-in at the airport..

Good luck.

Joe.

Hi guys,

I really appreciate your suggestions in advance:

I’m in a slightly different situation. My parents have both received the sealed envelops and they are flying to Houston in December. Unfortunately when they received the envelopes, my mom got confused and thought her passport was in her envelop, so she opened it (the seal is not broken though, she opened it from the other end).

What do you guys think we should do now? I’m really concerned about this..

Good luck.

Joe.

Hi guys,

I’m in a slightly different situation. My parents have both received the sealed envelops and they are flying to Houston in December. Unfortunately when they received the envelopes, my mom got confused and thought her passport was in her envelop, so she opened it (the seal is not broken though, she opened it from the other end).

Unless you think the consulate is kidding by putting DO NOT OPEN on the envelope, then you should take it back to get it resealed.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Timeline

Good luck.

Joe.

Hi guys,

Unless you think the consulate is kidding by putting DO NOT OPEN on the envelope, then you should take it back to get it resealed.

Do you know if it has to be taken in-person or can it be mailed? The consulate is Ankara-Turkey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think you are getting confused... I looked at your timeline and you are only at the NOA2 step. You should not have purchased the ticket yet. When the NOA2 says "approved" it means they've accepted your K1 application. You still have NVC to go through and the embassy still has to send you packet 3 (checklist of what you need to bring to the interview) and packet 4 (interview letter). You still have the medical to do and you can't do the medical until you have an interview date. You have already assumed his visa is approved completely. The mysterious brown envelope comes after the medical and is taken with you to the interview. If you are approved at the interview stageYou still shouldn't book an airline ticket until VISA IS IN HAND. I hope this clears things up for you. Sorry you purchased the ticket already.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

And not to rain on your parade, but another reason not to purchase ticket is you could possibly get hung up in AP (administrative processing), which if that happens, there is really NO way to know when you are going to move on to the embassy level. This journey is a very long tedious process.

Timeline
Amazing how people can enter the US without a visa envelope. :blink:

Why? The vast majority of people entering the US (legally) do not have a "visa envelope". It is Sunday morning and I promise you, with the anadian dollar at nearly par, the Champlain Border Crossing very close to my home has a line backed up for probably 45 minutes or more, all Canadians entering the US to spend their money here, avoid the high taxes charged for their government healthcare plan, (15% sales tax in Quebec vs. 0% on food, clothes, and shoes in Vermont) and enjoy a day in Burlington. NONE have visa envelopes. NONE have visas. NONE will even get so much as a passport stamp. The contents of the envelope have nothing to do with the person being admitted to the US, per se. That is what the visa is for. The envelope contents are used for the adjustment of status process. People with dual intent visas, K visas, have these envelopes.

Oddly enough, if you have the envelope and OPEN IT, against the rules...they will likely NOT admit you to the USA. If you simply don't have it, or lose it, they WILL admit you but not without considerable hassel and expense.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Good luck.

Joe.

Hi guys,

Take it BACK to the consulate and get it re-sealed. They WILL refuse to let someone enter that has opened the envelope. And now you're thinking "Oh, I know, we will say we LOST the envelope" Only if you think a month of deferred inspection and appearence before at least one immigration judge, a repeated medical exam and vaccinations and more than $1000 in expenses is easier than going back to the consulate for free.

I also think you should start you own topic when you have a question, trying to get answers by adding your question to some elses is not very productive.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

Gary -

If you are going to be a wise guy with members, you should get your facts straight.

Because as it has been explained to you before, the brown envelope is not just used for adjustment of status.

But hey - it's Sunday morning, you are bored and on a roll. Don't let little facts stop you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.