antda

Canadians in/from Toronto, Canada!

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow, great to know a fellow former Scarberian! Which high school did you go to? I went to Agincourt Collegiate Institute. Yeah, I've heard people call it Scarberia before, though many people now just say Toronto or GTA because of the amalgamation. I think when it comes to VJ, it's a small world :)

Tina

Every time I see "GTA" written here I think of the Grand Theft Auto game series. :P

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Every time I see "GTA" written here I think of the Grand Theft Auto game series. :P

:rofl: ....a lot of autos are stolen in the "GTA/Toronto"...So lock your car doors whenever your go there!

(actually that happened to a family of mine...the car was stolen in broad daylight and ended up on the other side of the city, completely trashed and gutted on the inside...scary..)

(and then there was that time where my husband locked his keys in the car..so we had to do our own grand theft auto to get the car unlocked...lol....yeah not a pretty picture with the coat hangers and all..lol..we did though called an auto guy to get that opened...wish I had CAA back then...lol...)

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Tina,

Wow..still can't believe that the community centre still exists.....Though not surprising really, as a few years ago I think they did some renovations to the building there. Lol...Yup..skating and swimming...for a loonie or a twoonie...good cheap fun in Toronto...

Think the 200 anniversary thing was a few years ago..I didn't celebrate that..but it was in the news anyhow...Better to focus on your studies then instead...By the way, did you know that there is a University of Toronto Scarborough campus too?

By the way, speaking of Scarbough, have you been to the Scarbough Town Centre lately? Also, did you know that they do Canadian immigration oath ceremonies in the building next door to there too..lol....

You're welcome for the welcome to the USA. Good luck with your journey and hope that goes well for you too. In answer to your question: Yes, coming to New York State was somewhat of a change for me. The biggest change for me: Going from big city Toronto (with a population of a few million people) to a small town (with a population of a few thousand people) in New York State...City to Country living..oh yeah, what a change! Other than that, not much of a change for me, as be it that Toronto and New York State is so close, my husband and I pretty much grew up with the same things (same tv shows, radio stations, places to visit, etc.). Oh yeah, and we both speak English too..no language barriers here...(lol..though I prefer Canadian English and my husband prefers American English). Lol..We were only a few hundred miles/kilometres away from each other really, back in our old long-distance relationship days. I kind of think that we were like neighbours, living so close to each other...Except..there is this darn thing called a "border" and "immigration" that we had to go through, which makes the relationship harder than it should have been..lol..We do though travel back and forth between Toronto and New York State from time to time, so in that sense, Toronto doesn't seem too far away from where I am now at all..

Are you going to visit Toronto when you move to Indy someday? What things would you miss when you leave Toronto? Don't worry, it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock for you when you move down here, as Indy (from what I've read about it..haven't been there myself..so maybe someone else can say more about this..) is quite the populated place, with lots to do. As well, many vjers have moved from Toronto (and other parts of Canada) to the USA, so we all understand that there is some sort of "culture shock" when we move down to the USA too. Hmm..maybe you can find some other vjers in the Indy area too for a a meet-up near where you are?

I agree, at least you are with your fiance (and soon to be husband) with you throughout the process and for the rest of your life, so you definitely won't be alone there. The immigration process can be long, frustrating, and stressful, but in the end it will all be worth it to be with the ones that you love...

Good luck on your journey to Indy.

Ant

Yeah, I totally knew that Jim Carrey went to ACI and yes, there still is a community centre nearby. Since we didn't have a pool at our school, that's where we went for swimming. I don't quite remember when Scarborough celebrated its 200th anniversary, though. I think I was probably too focused on my university studies to bother with that...lol.

Anyway, thanks for the big welcome to the US. I see that you are in New York now. Was it a big change for you? I'm going to Indianapolis, which is a much smaller city than Toronto. I'm so afraid that I'll get a culture shock..haha. At least now my fiance is there and I'm not going there blind :)

Take care,

Tina

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline
Wow, great to know a fellow former Scarberian! Which high school did you go to? I went to Agincourt Collegiate Institute. Yeah, I've heard people call it Scarberia before, though many people now just say Toronto or GTA because of the amalgamation. I think when it comes to VJ, it's a small world :)

Tina

You mean like beating and robbing up hookers and crackheads, drive around Jarvis & Gerrard at night and you'll have your GTA. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tina

You mean like beating and robbing up hookers and crackheads, drive around Jarvis & Gerrard at night and you'll have your GTA. :lol:

I believe that Toronto copied that term after the first game came out. Ok just kidding on that one...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Tina

I believe that Toronto copied that term after the first game came out. Ok just kidding on that one...

They should make a Canadian edition of Grand Theft Auto. That way you can run over people while shouting, "Excuse me!" :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tina

They should make a Canadian edition of Grand Theft Auto. That way you can run over people while shouting, "Excuse me!" :P

:lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.