darkchilde794

Entering US through Coach Canada

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am planning my trip to see the hunny in 2 weeks and just realized that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to take Coach Canada to Buffalo Airport and take Southwest to BWI (thanks to everyone who replied to Iggs post :P). Yes, I am an idiot and fly each time I visit. And now I will cease to be an idiot and take this "new" route.

However, Ive never actually crossed to the US by land and I would like to know how it goes -- is it like going through customs by flying? Do you get off the bus? How do you get a customs card and a departure card (I-94)? I believe the latter is a requirement for non US or Canadians.

Some important details: I am not a Canadian citizen but rather a Canadian resident (Philippine passport holder -- and yes I kind of think that if I filed in Manila, this would be over by now :P). I dont drive and am planning to take Coach Canada. And Im staying in Baltimore for 2 weeks.

Thank you! :)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So I am planning my trip to see the hunny in 2 weeks and just realized that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to take Coach Canada to Buffalo Airport and take Southwest to BWI (thanks to everyone who replied to Iggs post :P ). Yes, I am an idiot and fly each time I visit. And now I will cease to be an idiot and take this "new" route.

However, Ive never actually crossed to the US by land and I would like to know how it goes -- is it like going through customs by flying? Do you get off the bus? How do you get a customs card and a departure card (I-94)? I believe the latter is a requirement for non US or Canadians.

Some important details: I am not a Canadian citizen but rather a Canadian resident (Philippine passport holder -- and yes I kind of think that if I filed in Manila, this would be over by now :P ). I dont drive and am planning to take Coach Canada. And Im staying in Baltimore for 2 weeks.

Generally taking the bus can be a hassle, especially if you are not a green card holder. They will want you to prove that you will return to Canada and tend to be much less civilized than at other ports. The bus pulls up at the Peace Bridge and after waiting for about 30-45 minutes (depends on how busy they are) you are required to enter the border station. You are called and asked a few questions and if you haven't pissed off anyone (even if you do nothing) then you are required to take your bag (which is outside next to the bus) to customs. It is a bit further down a corridor. You will get asked questions yet again and if you are lucky you go back on the bus and are on your way to Buffalo. I don't know to get the I-94, as a Canadian I never needed one. I would recommend getting off the bus and in line as fast as possible. This will minimize your odds of being refused entry. If you have all manner of documentation (lease, rental agreement, bank account statement, etc. and a return ticket) then you will likely have no problem in case you are the one they decide to pick on. Once the border is past, you are in Buffalo in a few minutes and then, depending on the time, you take either the airport express or the Genesee 24 B, C or P to the airport.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've taken a lot of buses to the USA.

I can tell you it's been very quick through the border (25 to 30 minutes) and I've also been there up to 8 hours. The fastest times I ever had is going over night, and the slowest the middle of the day.

Often times it's the complications of the 50 other passengers crossing and not you, which affects your time. There are times where people on the bus are questioned more than others, and the bus is forced to wait for them until border patrol tells the driver they are inadmissible or they are fine to get back on board.

I'd advise you to give yourself as much time as possible, even if that means sleeping in the airport over night or getting there really early.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've taken a lot of buses to the USA.

I can tell you it's been very quick through the border (25 to 30 minutes) and I've also been there up to 8 hours. The fastest times I ever had is going over night, and the slowest the middle of the day.

Often times it's the complications of the 50 other passengers crossing and not you, which affects your time. There are times where people on the bus are questioned more than others, and the bus is forced to wait for them until border patrol tells the driver they are inadmissible or they are fine to get back on board.

I'd advise you to give yourself as much time as possible, even if that means sleeping in the airport over night or getting there really early.

I totally agree with this. I haven't taken the bus in years, but when I used to take it the wait times at the border were really random. I've waited up to 4 hours which was not fun at all. That was even in the middle of the night and that was before everyone even got off the bus. I think it was a long weekend and they were back logged with buses... not fun at all!!

I also found that they were a little more harsh in their questioning to me when I took the bus. They always just wanted a lot of information, wanted to know how much money I had, where I was staying, why I was bringing so many pairs of pants (no joke) and just insane questions that I've never received when flying. I was also a lot younger and in school, so maybe they thought I was riskier, I don't know.

You'll also need to bring money to pay for the I-94 for land crossings. I believe it's $6. When we fly, it's included in our ticket, but by land there is a fee so make sure to have some US cash on you.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Oh yeah I forgot about that, Sapphire. Wow. It's been awhile! :lol:

And I also felt they were much more stringent with me when I took the bus. They tend to get overwhelmed with bus loads of people and I think they find it harder to try to make sure they are keeping the right people out and letting the right people in. I always noticed they were very stressed during my bus trips through the border. So, bring as much documentation as you can.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info guys. Now Im having second thoughts about going through the bus -- I think its two times cheaper but might be five times more the hassle. And Im already nervous having to visit after submitting P3 :P SIGH. Anyway I am really grateful for everyones advice!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the info guys. Now Im having second thoughts about going through the bus -- I think its two times cheaper but might be five times more the hassle. And Im already nervous having to visit after submitting P3 :P SIGH. Anyway I am really grateful for everyones advice!

It seems like the bus is a good option if you are planning to spend the night in Buffalo before flying...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, I'm definitely not wealthy by any means, but I found it so much more worth it to just fly out of Toronto and pay the extra $$. The customs is easier, you save time on travel to/from the airport and there is just a lot less hassle. Mind you, I would've only saved $100 flying out of Buffalo, so for me, it just wasn't worth it. I also lived only 10 minutes from Pearson and had someone to drop me off and pick me up, or I used the Airport Express bus for $16.

A lot of people take the bus though, so I wouldn't let what we say stop you. If you have the time and have lots of ties to Canada, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Darkchilde74,

Lol..it looks like I might have started a trend by suggesting Coach Canada in Igg's post.Glad that this helped you and other vjers on their travels to the USA too!

I myself haven't taken Coach Canada buses (lol..I prefer to drive over the border anyways), but from what my Canadian relatives who have taken the bus have told me, this is how it goes:

-You take the bus from Toronto (Dundas and Bay Streets), and there are various stops in Ontario along the way (Niagara Falls, St. Catherines, etc.)

-Tickets are $30 one way, and $50 round trip (Canadian Funds).

-The bus crosses the Peace Bridge and stops at customs/the border at Ft.Erie/Buffalo

-Everyone gets off the bus, and everyone on the bus as well as the luggage is searched

-The passangers show their passports and other identification and are questioned by US border officials

-Canadians normally don't get I-94 cards nor do they get their passport stamped (my relatives never did). However, people from other countries may get such in their passports, especially if they require visas to visit the USA.

-Yes, I-94 cards cost $6. They have a "arrival and departure" date on them, which details the dates of departure and/or return. These cards are stapled to your passport as a separate card.

-You may also get a "B-2 Visitor's Visa" stamp in their passport and/or ticket too, with the date of issue on it. These stamps are free, and are good for documenting your trip. Be it that you have a Philippines passport, you will more likely than not get your passport stamped (which is a good thing).

-Bring your Phillipines Passport, as well as your Canadian Permanent Resident Card when crossing the USA. As well, bring your tickets, other identification, travel plans, etc. Declare items when asked. Be truthful when you answer the immigration officials too.

-Allow extra time for travel and for travel delays, especially since there could be delays at customs/the border.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your travels with this "new route" and rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

So I am planning my trip to see the hunny in 2 weeks and just realized that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to take Coach Canada to Buffalo Airport and take Southwest to BWI (thanks to everyone who replied to Iggs post :P). Yes, I am an idiot and fly each time I visit. And now I will cease to be an idiot and take this "new" route.

Some important details: I am not a Canadian citizen but rather a Canadian resident (Philippine passport holder -- and yes I kind of think that if I filed in Manila, this would be over by now :P). I dont drive and am planning to take Coach Canada. And Im staying in Baltimore for 2 weeks.

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

P.S. I almost forgot: Make sure you bring documents that show your "ties" to Canada...for example, rents/leases, utility bills, employment info, paystubs, return tickets, etc. ....the US officials might want to see this, as they don't want you to stay indefinitely as a visitor to the USA.....

Make sure too, that you have sufficient funds for your trip, as they might ask about that as well....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

I don't know if this is much of an option for you, but do you have any friends or relatives that may be willing to take you across to Buffalo? In my experiences crossing is the easiest this way. Whenever I would go over with my father they wouldn't bother to ask many questions... I remember once the border official asked me something like "you do plan on coming home right?" and my dad piped in and said, "she better or I'll go down there and kick her @ss!" :lol: That was the end of that! Maybe if you offered some money to pay for gas and their time it would be a little easier?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Buggles? I would LOVE it if I had someone to hitch a ride with over the boarder -- You have NO idea. That would be the best thing ever. Peachy and Varba go to my neck of the USA but I think are planning on heading down AFTER xmas whereas I would like to spend christmas with my family in the US.

But yeah... finding a ride to buffalo or wherever would be So ideal...

Darkchild794 -- if you find a ride, can I come too? We're going to the exact same place!

;)

I kid...

I don't know if this is much of an option for you, but do you have any friends or relatives that may be willing to take you across to Buffalo? In my experiences crossing is the easiest this way. Whenever I would go over with my father they wouldn't bother to ask many questions... I remember once the border official asked me something like "you do plan on coming home right?" and my dad piped in and said, "she better or I'll go down there and kick her @ss!" :lol: That was the end of that! Maybe if you offered some money to pay for gas and their time it would be a little easier?

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Yeah... I know its not an option for everyone. I would always give my dad those sad puppy dog eyes and say please and he would give in every time. 6am, 11pm, every time. :innocent:

Filed: Timeline

Maybe you could rent-a-Dad!! Huggles' dad seems quite a good choice. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your dad is SOLID!

that is an awesome option... i may try to look harder though... who knows, right?

:)

Yeah... I know its not an option for everyone. I would always give my dad those sad puppy dog eyes and say please and he would give in every time. 6am, 11pm, every time. :innocent:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.