Dave-n-Oksana

A Touch of Home

24 posts in this topic

Hey it's me again. Trying to get prepared for Oksana's and Lera's arrival and I would like to have some things in the pantry for a taste of home. Sadly there aren't any Russian/Ukraine grocers in the area and I was wondering if anyone might know of a good online site that I can order from?

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey it's me again. Trying to get prepared for Oksana's and Lera's arrival and I would like to have some things in the pantry for a taste of home. Sadly there aren't any Russian/Ukraine grocers in the area and I was wondering if anyone might know of a good online site that I can order from?

Dave

www.RussianTable.com

is one that I've used in the past -- mainly for ordering candies at Christmas/New Year's time. But they have a wide selection of other items as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That's pretty cool!

I lucked out, a small Eastern European corner store opened up right down the street from me that's stocked with all sorts of Russian goodies too.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Email lena, she showed me an online place week or so ago. i think i gave you her email

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
That's pretty cool!

I lucked out, a small Eastern European corner store opened up right down the street from me that's stocked with all sorts of Russian goodies too.

We also have an international store just down the street from us --- it's mainly Indian foods, but there are also quite a few items directly from Russia and a LOT of items from Turkey that are familiar to anyone who shops in a Russian grocery store. I haven't told Lesya about the place yet --- I'm afraid if she knows about it.... once she gets here I'll NEVER get her out of there! :lol:

we also have two international stores near our town. I am sure there some should be near your area. Check in search, Russian community or something like that. I found out it from my Russian friend and she also advised me some Russian doctors which it helped me a lot in understanding with them ;)

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Dave

I don't know where you live but you might want to find a supermarket with a really big choice of fresh vegetables. Whole foods has a whole bunch of organic veggies. If you have a health food type store they may have the things you need.

There is nothing "magical" in a Russian supermarket. The labels are different, different names, but it is all the same stuff. The difficulty is finding the American equaliavent. American supermarkets normally have way more choices and options, it will be overwhelming.

My suggestion get her used to American products as soon as possible. Buy a bunch of potatoes, onions, cabbage, beets, juice and spices. She can make tonnes of meals from those basic ingredients.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
That's pretty cool! I lucked out, a small Eastern European corner store opened up right down the street from me that's stocked with all sorts of Russian goodies too.
Yeah, we go there all the time. They used to be located downtown.

Their prices are kinda high though - but that's how it goes.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

We haven't used these places yet, but have good references on them. We only need to drive 1 1/2 hours to find Russian stores, so we make the trek every so often. Try: MoscowonHudson.com or RussianfoodDirect.com . From what we were told, they ship stuff out quickly and in pretty good shape. The prices seem to be pretty comparable to what we pay in the Sacramento area and we still have to drive.

Getting stuff online is not the same as taking them to a Russian store because the stores have the home country feel to them. But getting products she recognizes is great. You might want to have her try the light sour cream when she gets here unless you are able to find something better that matches her Cmatana. (I know that's not spelled right, but you get the idea).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dave

Stinky fish! Salty fish. Most grocery stores have suitably stinky and salty fish but Alla goes to a small international market for the real stuff. Canned mackeral is also a favorite of hers. :wacko:

And don't rule out just the normal produce market, we really have a much larger variety of fresh fruit and veggies than they are used to. Alla is still bewildered by all the varieties of apples. I don't know about Oksana but Alla loves all sorts of fresh fruits and veggies. Apples, bananas, clementines, oranges, kiwi, especially any kind of berries, nuts of all kinds. Do not forget sour cream! Get some sweet onions, red potatoes, green beans, broccoli, pears, apricots, peaches, tangerines, nectarines...all that stuff, Alla goes wild for it. I swear, no joke, she eats a bushel of fruit every week, I cannot keep the stuff in the house. Natural butter (unsalted). We buy eggs and milk direct from the farm, if you can get any frsh eggs and milk from the cow.

The bread here will disappoint her, sorry. Don't even think of buying bread in a bag or bagged hamburger buns!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The fruit juice in a box that I can buy at the local Mexican Supermercado is the same that we bought together in Kiev.

I have taken photos of the large produce section of this one Mexican market and Alla has gone wild over the selection of fruits and vegetables and the quality shown.

And, Papaya.

She has never had fresh Papaya. It can not be found in Russia.

I have already proven to her that I can make "Home Cheese" or Tvorog, which she and Leonid loves.

But yes, the vast array of fruits and vegetables will entice them to no ends. Buy many!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Ok How do you make the home cheese?? Lena and Masha both love it "was not awful" but not real big on my list of wants!! LOL, Fortunately got to go to market with her many times, so I am familiar with their desires of fruits and vegatables! (A NOTE FOR ALL LENA SAYS SHE FOUND :whistle: A BREAD MACHINE THAT IS ADEQUATE FOR BREAD HERE) I have not seen or tried yet but Ukrainian approved LOL.

The fruit juice in a box that I can buy at the local Mexican Supermercado is the same that we bought together in Kiev.

I have taken photos of the large produce section of this one Mexican market and Alla has gone wild over the selection of fruits and vegetables and the quality shown.

And, Papaya.

She has never had fresh Papaya. It can not be found in Russia.

I have already proven to her that I can make "Home Cheese" or Tvorog, which she and Leonid loves.

But yes, the vast array of fruits and vegetables will entice them to no ends. Buy many!

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Timeline

I have used both recipes from this site.

I've made home cheese using the Kemps Buttermilk and the plain Kefir and both have passed, via Skype and offering it to Baron the dog, test.

http://yulinkacooks.blogspot.com/2006/04/h...ers-cheese.html

Timeline
I have used both recipes from this site.

I've made home cheese using the Kemps Buttermilk and the plain Kefir and both have passed, via Skype and offering it to Baron the dog, test.

http://yulinkacooks.blogspot.com/2006/04/h...ers-cheese.html

The Kemp's Buttermilk can be found at Traders Joes.

Wow, thanks for all the information. I guess there are advantages to living in farm country and Oksana had concerns about fresh vegetables and their availability. I hope I have calmed her fears.

I will tell you all that after Gary's constant reminder of how to ensure Oksana is a true Ukraine woman, I am beginning to doubt that I am a true American Man. I rather enjoyed the stinky fish, and my fridge is not complete without a container of sour cream and mayo. :D I just can't walk the streets there :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.